Bungie Cut 100 Jobs, Missed Revenue Projections by 45% for the Year

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

  • Bungie Cut 100 Jobs, Missed Revenue Projections by 45% for the Year

    A new report by Bloomberg paints a distressing picture for the Destiny studio.
    Photo of the word and logo for Bungie, the game development studio.

    On Monday, October 30th, Bungie laid off an undisclosed number of employees. Earlier in the day on October 31st, we learned that Bungie laid off Michael Salvatori, the legendary composer that created music for several Halo games and the Destiny franchise. Now, a new report from Bloomberg sheds some additional light on just how dire things seem to be at Bungie.

    Bloomberg's report says that there were an estimated 100 employees laid off from Bungie on Monday. The studio had employed roughly 1,200 people, meaning that bout 8% of its entire workforce was laid off this week. These layoffs come in the same month that management warned of "a sharp drop in the popularity of its flagship video game Destiny 2."

    Allegedly, two weeks ago, Bungie executives held a meeting with employees where they explained that revenues were running a staggering 45% below projections for the year. This is according to information provided to Bloomberg from people who were in attendance at the meeting. Bungie CEO Pete Parsons said that a big reason for the poor performance is due to weak player retention for Destiny 2. The game has been dealing with declining player numbers and a poor reception since the release of the Lightfall expansion in February 2023.

    The report from Bloomberg continues on to say that Destiny 2's next expansion, The Final Shape, was only getting good but not great feedback. This pushed management to delay the release of The Final Shape from February 2024 into June 2024. These added months are meant to give developers more time to improve the expansion ahead of release.

    In that meeting two weeks ago, Parsons also told Bungie staff that there would be cost-cutting measures taken. This included putting a freeze on implementing new salary and hiring new employees. Amounts given for travel were also cut.

    Then came the news on Monday that an estimated 100 employees were laid off from Bungie.

    But on Monday morning the news got worse: Dozens of staffers woke up to mysterious 15-minute meetings that had been placed on their calendars, which they soon learned were part of a mass layoff. Bungie laid off around 8% of its employees, according to documentation reviewed by Bloomberg. Bungie didn’t respond to requests for comment.
    Those that were let go will receive at least three months of severance and three months of health insurance. As we learned previously, other benefits such as expense reimbursements, ended on Monday. Prorated bonuses will be given to those that were laid off from Bungie. However, those that were set to receive shares following Sony's acquisition of Bungie will lose all shares not vested as of next month.

    Bloomberg says that many of the layoffs at Bungie were from the company's support department. This includes areas of community management and publishing. Those still employed at Bungie were told that some of those newly vacant positions within the support department will be outsourced moving forward.

    This all comes during a year in which major shakeups have been occurring within the gaming and tech industries. It also comes at a time where several PlayStation studios are rumored to be against the push for more games as a service (GaaS) releases. PlayStation wanted to make a big GaaS push across all of its studios, at least up until recently.

    The most recent rumor suggests that Sony is reversing course on their push for GaaS titles. Sony has reportedly enlisted the help of Sega and Bandai Namco to help them "catch up" on steering some IPs away from the GaaS model. Shortly after acquiring Bungie, Sony took Bungie employees to various PlayStation studios to offer feedback on their GaaS experiences. It has been long rumored that the in-development multiplayer experience set in The Last of Us universe was cancelled due to negative feedback from those Bungie visits.
      Posting comments is disabled for guests. Login or sign up to leave a comment.

    Related Topics

    Collapse

    • Shawn Zipay
      Bungie Employees were Doxxed, Slammed with Racial Slurs, and Received Death Threats
      by Shawn Zipay
      Bungie employees were the victims of harassment after celebrating a collaboration with an African-American streamer.

      Some employees at Bungie were the victims of extreme harassment. The harassment, which mainly took place this past June, included those employees being doxxed and hit with numerous racial slurs, phone calls, text messages, and death threats.

      This all began after the employees celebrated a collaboration announcement that the studio was working with African-American...
      08-03-2022, 04:43 PM
    • Shawn Zipay
      Marty O'Donnell Wins Big in Legal Battle Against Bungie
      by Shawn Zipay
      Marty O'Donnell, the composer that crafted the iconic soundtracks for games like the Halo franchise and parts of Destiny, has won his legal battle...
      09-04-2015, 11:38 PM
    • Shawn Zipay
      Marty O'Donnell Wins Big in Legal Battle Against Bungie
      by Shawn Zipay
      Marty O'Donnell, the composer that crafted the iconic soundtracks for games like the Halo franchise and parts of Destiny, has won his legal battle against Bungie. Today's ruling by a court-appointed arbitrator says that Bungie must honor its agreements made with O'Donnell that gave him the right to hold a "considerable share of stock in the company." Today's ruling also sheds some light on what O'Donnel, Activision, and Bungie all went through during the development of Destiny. How...
      09-04-2015, 11:38 PM
    • Shawn Zipay
      Bungie Facing 'Significant' Layoffs, Destiny 3 Not in Active Development per Bloomberg Report
      by Shawn Zipay
      For those that remain, the focus will be on Marathon only.

      Sony is "planning a significant number of layoffs" at Bungie, according to a new report from Jason Schreier at Bloomberg. This unfortunate yet not wholly expected news comes mere hours after Bungie announced that they are ending development on Destiny 2.

      Citing anonymous sources, Bloomberg's report says that there is no new project currently being worked on at Bungie. Bloomberg's sources state that...
      05-21-2026, 10:09 PM
    • Loading...
    • No more items.
    TGN on Threads TGN on BlueSky TGN on Facebook
    Working...