A 5v5 competitive game mode never quite got off the ground.
BF5 Operation Underground

DICE has officially cancelled its previously announced 5v5 competitive mode for Battlefield V. The company says that they made this decision after turning their attention more to "improving the quality of the experience and adding more of the content you want." Despite neither of these two things happening in quite some time, the decision has been made and those looking for a small-scale war are left looking elsewhere.

The team made this announcement today in the latest "Letters from the Front" developer feature. By the way, DICE says that the Letters from the Front will be a new monthly feature from the team released as part of a new effort to be more transparent with the community.

DICE senior producer Ryan McArthur shares the thought process that went into this decision to drop the 5v5 mode.

The added focus on improving the quality of the experience and adding more of the content you want has led us to step back from our original plans to offer a competitive 5v5 mode. Not creating this mode was a tough decision, but vital for us to more quickly reach our bug-crushing and content goals. However, we will still pursue building a competitive gaming experience in Battlefield. We know that there’s already an existing competitive scene in our community, and we’re helping build features to support these communities. We want to work more closely with our players to help improve the tools that they have available to shape their play experience. This way, we can better support the places where competitive Battlefield V play already exists.

This change in focus allows us to better deliver on our promise of new content that we know our players will love, as well as providing new ways to enjoy some of our more intense existing modes.
At this specific point in time, it's hard to take this reason at face value when Battlefield V Chapter 4's weekly offerings have largely just been skins or slight variations on melee weapons. The content, to say the least, has been severely lacking when it comes to new weapons, gear, and maps. Al Sundan is still not yet released for the Conquest game mode, despite it coming out on June 27, 2019 for the smaller game types. DICE actually talks briefly about what is going on with Al Sundan in today's update.

In short, they say that they still have not found a solution yet to a graphical problem that exists only on the Conquest version of the map. They hope to get a fix for it included in the 4.6 update that is planned for next month. We are, at present, only on the 4.3.x version of the game.

Speaking of upcoming updates, DICE mentions a bit more about what we can expect in the upcoming 4.4 update. This update will actually include two new maps: Provence and Lofoten Islands! Ah, but they'll be launching initially for Squad Conquest and Team Deathmatch. Will we see them come out for Conquest? No idea. When might they be ready for Conquest? Who knows. There is absolutely no mention as to whether or not any of the larger game modes will ever get these two maps as well.

Update 4.4 will also include fixes for stuttering, desync on hitboxes, and some changes to the Commorose. DICE flat out says that the next few updates will improve game stability, UI communication around damage, and many other items that community flagged. These will be in addition to the two new maps mentioned above and the increase of the max rank up to Rank 500.

Update 4.6 arrives in September and with it will be Operation Underground for Conquest, Team Deathmatch, Breakthrough, and Squad Conquest. The Rush mode will also be playable on this map as well, but only when it rolls around as one of the limited time weekly game types. After 4.6 comes the Pacific chapter update with Iwo Jima and "two more locations that you'll deploy on this side of the holidays." That is to say, we'll see that content out before Christmas. Maybe. Hopefully. In addition to the maps, it adds new weapons, vehicles, factions, and visuals.

For those who don't know or have forgotten, Operation Underground is essentially a WWII version of everyone's favorite meat grinder: Operation Metro. It was first revealed during EA Play 2019 earlier this past June.