This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Project Reality New Procedure For Server Code

No amount of time will make me like long spawn times.

Most people will try the pure and either like it or not, they will keep trying it and maybe get use to it or not. Playing on a modded server wont change that.

Comment

Solo, you got to admit that sound a bit elitist. Playing on a modded server would take away from the learning process of the pure mod which they would get used to and love. In other words, I did it, i love it, you will too.

Besides, RBS's questionis still unanswered and I think significant. How does non-Hardcore playing on a modded server hurt the experience of the hardcore playing on a pure server?

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenPirate View Post
        You're kidding right?
        this is half the point of modifications, so that people are free to change what they want.
        There are some German POE2 servers that have modded the spawn to give double vehicles, we don't care about any of that kind of thing.

By all means PR are free to do whatever they want with the project, but I do think this is a big overreaction to a pretty small issue don't you think?
        I don't play PR, so its not an issue for me, but I would agree with Pirate completely here.

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
        Like I have said in my posts before, PR is for "Hardcore Realism" players, you are what I would maybe count as a "Realism" player.
        lol, your only into "realism" not "Harcore Realism" :rofl: You have to be joking with that attitude man. There is nothing "Realistic" about this game or any other game, nothing. Checking out who's E-Realism package is the biggest is kind of silly.

we are not going to dumb down the mod for the other players
        :shakehead: no, don't do that for the lowly types, there is too much at stake.

its about them being modded is the fact of the matter and destroying our gameplay for the hard core players.
        There is that "hard core" reference again. Hard core ego perhaps, but if you do it on a computer, by definition it isn't and can not be considered "real".

Its your game, this rule will probably benefit your player base and is most likely a good thing for PR. I don't see why you have to be so snobby about it though.

Originally posted by =CDU=Jochen_Peip View Post
        How does non-Hardcore playing on a modded server hurt the experience of the hardcore playing on a pure server?
        except for making people think all the servers are like those, I cant see the problem either. But then, its not my mod, and I didn't spend forever making it.

Comment

Assume the server is properly named and has relevant Server messages in game.

Comment

Originally posted by =CDU=Jochen_Peip View Post
            Solo, you got to admit that sound a bit elitist. Playing on a modded server would take away from the learning process of the pure mod which they would get used to and love. In other words, I did it, i love it, you will too.
            If you read my full post, I also said that sometimes you might not get used to it, just like ANY game. You simply might not like it. Then we don't play it.[/QUOTE]

Comment

sigh,10 bucks thsi goes on past dawn:shock: :shakehead:

Comment

Thats what a modded servers are for, those that dont want to play it and dont like it. Heres a thought too, It could also act a buffer for those getting use to the more powerful weapons. Sort of a half way zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Real-BadSeed View Post
                  No one has explained how modded servers with non-hardcore players is ruining the experience of hardcore players on another server?
                  Read my post again then heh. I explained exactly that.

Comment

All i got from your post was everyone started playing on the modded servers. Thats the fault of your hardcore players not populating a pure server.

Comment

Well it's a good thing we all don't agree, I'd be worried it we did, PR is a great mod, no doubt in my mind, hats off to the DEV's and I look forward to the new version.

I for one like both the vanilla PR and the mod'd PR, sometime I like the more strategic vanilla other times I like the mod’d there both great games and I look forward to playing them.

I’m an old fart (50) and I have different moods PR, PoE and DCON provide that for me, I even play 2142, even though it is EA and it still sucks, more or less the platform is more stable than any of its predecessors.

My two bits
                      Cheers

Originally posted by eggman View Post
                      Read my post again then heh. I explained exactly that.

Eggman, if you are Canadian, like me, then the term "HEH" is actually pronounced "EH", you know what I mean eh!
                      lol

Comment

Originally posted by =CDU=EvilDoer
                        Eggman, if you are Canadian, like me, then the term "HEH" is actually pronounced "EH", you know what I mean eh!
                        lol
                        eh in net language means to me like "eh?" as in a question, "heh" means like a small laugh from it

Comment

Originally posted by Real-BadSeed View Post
                          All i got from your post was everyone started playing on the modded servers. Thats the fault of your hardcore players not populating a pure server.
                          Er.. I'll explain it again...

1. We don't want the mod altered, we want a small portion of the players to alter their play style and adapt to the mod. We don't want to be popular, we want to be committed to our design goals and if people like it and play it AS WE DESIGNED IT, then great. If not, so be it.

2. Our previous experience with modded servers was that they had a very negative impact on the game play quality, our gaming community and on our design goals.

3. The impact on our small gaming community became so severe that our long term fanbase began to have difficulty finding a decent server to play on.

Again... as I have said already a billion times before.. if there were 10,000 people playing BF2 mods I'd probably get a kick out of this.. I'd regard it as flattering. But we don't believe we can support the fracturing of game play styles and community that we experienced with server side modding in the past. We believe that is our choice, not that of a server administrator, and we will act accordingly.

Comment

PR: "If I can have you attention please. PR has invented a new bicycle and we would love for you all to have one for free."
                            Public: "Sounds cool. Looks like a nice bike. Where's the seat?"

PR: " No, no...there will not be a seat. We designed this particular bicycle to where that pole there inserts in your rectum."
                            Pubic: "But I don't want to insert that pole into my rectum. I like the bike but that whole pole rectum thing....I don't know.
                            Maybe I'll take the bike and just add a seat later."

PR: No, no...that's not the way we intended this bike to be ridden. This bike is much more fun without the seat. Now, we have been riding these bicycles like this for awhile now and granted, we didn't like it at first either, but you will learn to love it...as we have."
                            Public: "Yeah, I think I'll just add a seat if it's all the same to you."

PR: "No, it's not just all the same to us. In fact, NOW HERE THIS...FROM THIS DAY FORWARD...IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TAKE ONE OF OUR FREE BICYCLES AND USE IT AS YOUR OWN...YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE AND SIGN A FORM STATING THAT YOU WILL FREELY ACCEPT A POLE IN YOUR RECTUM."
                            Public: "What about that schwinn over there?"

You don't make a product intending to change people into liking it. You make a product that people will like.

It's obvious that players as a whole prefer a shorter spawn time. Change it...or allow others to change it on their servers and name them as modded. If your "pure" servers are suffering from a lack of "hard core realists" or whatever it's because players prefer the modded servers. If you think not allowing the modded servers are going to bring those players to the "pure" servers...then sir, you're just wrong.

This little announcement of yours has done more damage to your team and the Project Reality name then any server side mod that my clan or any other clan could have turned out. You have painted yourselves as elitists.

Good luck.

Comment

Wow.. I checked this thread yesterday and there were a few (8) comments. Come in about 14 hours later and over 140 comments!!!

Comment

Originally posted by =CDU=Above
                                You don't make a product intending to change people into liking it. You make a product that people will like.
                                Wow what a horrid example. How many times must egg or anyone state that the mod is NOT meant to please one who does not enjoy tactical realism to the fullest? Its more like a customized bike with extra features. Some may like the features, others may not like them.
                                It's obvious that players as a whole prefer a shorter spawn time. Change it...or allow others to change it on their servers and name them as modded. If your "pure" servers are suffering from a lack of "hard core realists" or whatever it's because players prefer the modded servers. If you think not allowing the modded servers are going to bring those players to the "pure" servers...then sir, you're just wrong.
                                Even though modded servers ruined overall gameplay of .5, pure servers were always more popular and always more abundant.

This little announcement of yours has done more damage to your team and the Project Reality name then any server side mod that my clan or any other clan could have turned out. You have painted yourselves as elitists.
                                As a PR fan myself while often visiting the forums, I can speak for them and say they are happy with eggs decision and support it fully. As for people who don't like PR, then so be it. Right? Gotta admit, with every post one of you guys make it makes me support what the PR team is doing even more. Can't wait.

Also, here is another well stated post.
                                Originally posted by JP*wasteland.soldier
                                Wow. Well, I've been climbing in the Rockies the past 4 days, so I've missed all this Drama Redux that's been going on. But I'd still like to weigh in with my 2 cents, dripping with sage-like wisdom gleaned from my brief time in the mountains. The wisdom will probably be tempered by the four scotches I've had since I arrived home.

Project Reality is an attempt to modify a very popular, very "arcadey" game into a more cautious, tactical, and in the end, "realistic" depiction of war. Many players, upon first finding PR, will be in for a bit of a shock.

I was this way. I found PR about a year ago. I was thoroughly confused much of the time, and found that I was dying an awful lot. But I was intrigued by the fact that there was actually "lines of control" to some extent (something you never saw in vBF2) and that people were using VOIP extensively (again, something rarely seen in vBF2).

Because I enjoyed the maturity of the players, as well as the nature of the game play, I stuck with the mod. Now I am very skilled at PR (and I'm modest too! ), and enjoy a degree of involvement in the community.

This is exactly what I believe the devs want to occur. They want people to come across PR, and either hate it and leave, or find it overwhelming, but with a gleaming kernel of great gameplay just visible under the surface. The former group is quickly discarded, and the latter group sticks around and learns to play in a more tactical, cautious way.

Since the devs have contributed so much to this mod, and it is, after all, their mod, I think it's only right that we respect their wishes. They created not just a string of code, but an idea of how a game and it's community would be formed, and they are merely protecting that idea from being derailed.

SSM's such as the one that CDU ran create a problem for the dev's vision. Instead of new, "fresh from vanilla" players being "pushed out of the nest" and directly into PR to either fly or fall, they are given a potential distraction.

And so we are confronted with three major problems.

1) Players with no interest in tactical play stick around. They will also bounce around into PROS servers, upsetting the tactical play taking place there.

2) Players looking for tactical play (such as Colfax) will find a SSM server and be put off by the gameplay there. I for one never really read the server message, nor do I pay attention to the text at the top of the screen. I think many others are the same way.

3) Players who would like tactical play, but don't know it yet (such as myself 1 year ago) will never be thrown into that sink or swim situation that results in them finding the joys of tactical play.

I understand that you feel that since it's your server, you have the right to do what you wish with it. But it is the dev's mod. And they can distribute it under any conditions they like. And if the three problems illustrated above are sufficiently undesirable to them, they can take what steps they like to illuminate their occurrence.

Comment

Working...
                                X