Buying a PS3. PC gaming dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buying a PS3. PC gaming dead.

RIP PC gaming - 1994-2004. More or less, it seems. Personally I blame EA.

Comment

I most certainly don't agree with Alex's views.

I won't argue with people over whether or not PC gaming is dead or not, simply because the facts are on my side. You guys are welcome to be negative mindless drones if you want to.

I won't be a part of this anymore.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dairuka View Post
          I most certainly don't agree with Alex's views.
          You have that right.

I won't argue with people over whether or not PC gaming is dead or not, simply because the facts are on my side. You guys are welcome to be negative mindless drones if you want to.

A. Facts are not on your side, especially when you retorted Alex´ post by not even reading what he wrote. Talk about "mindless drones".

B. The second bolded line was unnecessary, considering the fact that people arent "negative" per se, and in most cases its simply an observation. The PC gaming, when were talking popularity and player count figures, is long from dead. The quality of games and the number of great games in specific genres, thats the main concern. When were observing the most popular PC titles to be nothing more than console ports, then why struggle with optimization at home, when you can fire up the same game on a console carefree, without FPS loss and without the extra work? Read it through 3 times.

As for population.

FPS PC MP games released post 2006, that have a player count higher than 10K (At any given moment)

1. Call of Duty 4 (lolwaffles)

Statistically, while COD4 and HALO3 are the monsters of online play at the moment, they are the only games that actually have a considerable number of players, while released post 2005. The third game would be Team Fortress 2 with its 5000 player count. And then theres a number of pre or on 2005 year release games which have a player count higher than 5000 and 10000. Note that HALO3 isnt on PC.

Tactical realistic FPS gaming community was killed off with unsuccessful flops. And an entire Rainbow Six community was killed off on the PC.

Basic point- why play games on PC if you can play the same games, all while better optimised, on a console? Hence Alex´s post and my subtle tone of disappointment.

As a disclaimer, Im not a console/PC fanboy. I play them both. Just use them for different games. And once again, all would be dandy and cool, if I didnt have to do technical sh!t to keep my games running, even though I have a good computer. There are games that just dont work on PC, like car racing games, sports games and adventure games. Living room, couch and controller, company- consoles.

Comment

5,000 is a lot of people when the most people you can have on any given server is 32.

The main reason I play on multiple servers in TF2, is because most of the servers I like to play on the most are already full.

Originally posted by camper.
            RIP PC gaming - 1994-2004. More or less, it seems. Personally I blame EA.
            Originally posted by Chris_Redfield View Post
            considering the fact that people arent "negative" per se, and in most cases its simply an observation.

Comment

You have that right.

A. Facts are not on your side, especially when you retorted Alex´ post by not even reading what he wrote. Talk about "mindless drones".

B. The second bolded line was unnecessary, considering the fact that people arent "negative" per se, and in most cases its simply an observation. The PC gaming, when were talking popularity and player count figures, is long from dead. The quality of games and the number of great games in specific genres, thats the main concern. When were observing the most popular PC titles to be nothing more than console ports, then why struggle with optimization at home, when you can fire up the same game on a console carefree, without FPS loss and without the extra work? Read it through 3 times.

As for population.

Paessler is the producer of PRTG, the highly powerful network monitoring software ✓ PRTG monitors your whole IT infrastructure 24/7 and alerts you to problems before users even notice.

FPS PC MP games released post 2006, that have a player count higher than 10K (At any given moment)

1. Call of Duty 4 (lolwaffles)

Statistically, while COD4 and HALO3 are the monsters of online play at the moment, they are the only games that actually have a considerable number of players, while released post 2005. The third game would be Team Fortress 2 with its 5000 player count. And then theres a number of pre or on 2005 year release games which have a player count higher than 5000 and 10000. Note that HALO3 isnt on PC.

Tactical realistic FPS gaming community was killed off with unsuccessful flops. And an entire Rainbow Six community was killed off on the PC.

Basic point- why play games on PC if you can play the same games, all while better optimised, on a console? Hence Alex´s post and my subtle tone of disappointment.

As a disclaimer, Im not a console/PC fanboy. I play them both. Just use them for different games. And once again, all would be dandy and cool, if I didnt have to do technical sh!t to keep my games running, even though I have a good computer. There are games that just dont work on PC, like car racing games, sports games and adventure games. Living room, couch and controller, company- consoles.

server-monitor.com?

Comment

5,000 is a lot of people when the most people you can have on any given server is 32.
                True. I personally rank 3000 players online as the line between "good" and "insufficient", but thats very much up to the community. Theres 14K in BF2 and the community basically makes it so that its unplayable in most of the servers (personal experience). Hard to find a good server to stick to these days. Then again, we have ETQW, or even POE2, latter being played by anywhere between 0 and 300, and is excellent at all times. Once it starts falling below 300 though, youre quickly finding yourself playing in the same servers, against the same faces.

But thats not the main point. Considering the total of 250K+ players online for FPS MP PC games, (the number itsself being fairly low...) the fact that out 6-8 games that have more than 3000 players online at any given time, only 2 are relased post 2005/06, is sad... The total number of quality games itsself is nothing to write home about either. I challenge you to try R6V on PC. That is, if you prefer to be bald.

EDIT: As for Camper. You should know by now that he likes to be a sarcastic bastard () sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper1432 View Post
                  Don't get the 40 gig mate. I'm not sure how it is over there but here in the U.S., it's not backwards compatible with PS2 games. I'm not sure if you would still play PS2 games like I do or not...

And about your monitor, try this:
                  http://forums.n4g.com/m_47729/printable.htm
                  lol when did ppl in CT use mate?
                  60 gb aTW!

Comment

You should read Alex post first, from the first word to the last. The term "dead" is being used in an entirely different context, one you might actually agree with.

Continuing on Alex idea, theres absolutely nothing out there for the average TBF2 goon, and theres even less out there for a guy like me, coming from SWAT and Rainbow 6 background. Considering that even the substitute drugs for me, like Rainbow Six Gaygas ports on PC are Ubisucks technological achievements and proof that you can indeed port a game that works AND is a resource hog of a tornado simulation program, you can get the general jist. At least, on the console, I wouldnt have to spend 12 hours fvcking through the .ini files, rewriting line of code in order to get the FPS up above the 20s.
                    Yup, thanks for picking up on that. I didn't mean it's dead as in no one else still plays, but, i mean creativity is just dire.

I have played BF2, SWAT4, 1942 online and offline, but there are just no more releases like that coming any more, and, unless BF3 is good, i can see the arcade/realism genre fading away into a console ported world. I had high hopes for FFOW, and i still do in terms of modding, but, with poor patching etc... i'm not going to raise my hopes.

And, Dairuka, discuss it with me. Don't just shrug it off. I'd like to hear your points.

Comment

• Re: Buying a PS3. PC gaming dead.

Be like me, and play both.

Comment

Originally posted by Vind2 View Post
                        Be like me, and play both.
                        I will, i'm just looking at the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
                          Yup, thanks for picking up on that. I didn't mean it's dead as in no one else still plays, but, i mean creativity is just dire.

I have played BF2, SWAT4, 1942 online and offline, but there are just no more releases like that coming any more, and, unless BF3 is good, i can see the arcade/realism genre fading away into a console ported world. I had high hopes for FFOW, and i still do in terms of modding, but, with poor patching etc... i'm not going to raise my hopes.

And, Dairuka, discuss it with me. Don't just shrug it off. I'd like to hear your points.
                          I wasn't brushing you off Alex. I just wasn't willing to derail yet another thread with Chris barking at me until his throat goes hoarse. I'll gladly debate with you though.

But you did ask... so I will say that PC creativity is still alive and booming in comparison to the pathetic knock-off/off-shoot/sequel filled frenzy known as console gaming.

Sins of a Solar Empire most recently has blazed open the path to a brand new game genre, something which I expect will be copied extensively due to it's huge success despite it's lack of DRM, and advertising budget. It's pretty, but not hardware intensive either. People with eight year old computers can play it even!

Of course thats not to say that Portal hasn't opened my eyes to the newest-path that FPS's are taking. Graphics can only go so far until they're perfectly life-like - which means that consoles will once-again (1999-2001 were very bad years for the console market.) lose their luster once the era of the PC Physics Engines begins. Although I'm sure the next console generation will try to rip it off like they did during the days of Half-Life/Counter-Strike's insanely popular infancy.

As for the future of gaming. Gas Powered Games has promised us an even grander scaled Real Time Strategy Game, based on it's already grand scaled Supreme Commander - this is in spite of the fact that they're trying (and according to reports from testers. Failing) to port to the X-box 360 out of spite to the cost of DRM's, and loser-pirates stealing their goods.

And then theres Spore. Oh the future of PC gaming is bright with Spore at the helm. A massive user-created universe of Peer-2-Peer based worlds and downloadable information. It will take the power of modders and put it into the common user's hands to expand with each new computer hooking up and playing. It will take the stale MMO genre to a whole new level without forcing people to pay annoying monthly charges, nor force them to play just to keep up with the joneses - since restarting your game only expands on the already existing universe!

Finally... MMORPG's. I need not say anything more than that. The console market can only wish it'd have the massive popularity that MMORPG's have - but sadly controllers are a huge limiting factor as Final Fantasy XI had found out the hard way. There have been estimates of over 36 million active subscribers to MMORPG's world-wide. You'd have to add in the sales of all three latest-generation consoles to match that number. No single console can match the PC's numbers.

But I digress, shall I remind you that every so-called console innovation was first done by the PC niche market? The only reason PC is even viewed as dead or dying, is because the closest thing to a centralized structure is the Windows Operating system - as opposed to the de-facto structures of Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony in regards to their console systems. Everything offered to us on the PC is created by third-party developers, who have to rely on their publishers entirely to push their games out to the public. Since it's cheaper and more effective to sell games online - more and more publishers are opting out of shipping boxed units to retail outlets such as Walmart and Gamestop. Considering the fact that the PC niche market never really offered many sales to retail outlets like Walmart and Gamestop, they in return opted to shrink their selections to the dark corner in the back of their stores making it a scary place where only the daring PC enthusiast would venture. This means less impulse sales for PC games - more for console games.

Third-party developers and their publishers for consoles on the other-hand don't have to worry about DRM's, and copy-right laws as it's all covered by the big-three corporations. This lowers their over-head drastically. Advertising along-side the big-three is a guaranteed success... and even if their game isn't any good, they can always make a couple hundred thousand sales to Blockbuster and Hollywood video for rental, second-hand resale, and liquidation. In today's console market, you can take a popular brand name of a previously successful/innovative game - and reuse it until you have 20+ sequels and you'll make millions off it! Sure the games suck in comparison to their older versions, but theres always going to be children out there eating it up. Dare I even mention the most obvious fact that publishers are more willing to devote funds to console games, rather than PC games? Naturally it's because console games are guaranteed decent returns thanks to the system set up by the big-three, rental outlets and retail outlets. Finally... The fact of the matter is - it's easier to sell to children than it is to adults. Consoles are more accessible to children, the Wii is the perfect testament to this obvious statement. This means it's easier to sell games on the console, than it is on the PC. PC games aren't guaranteed success unless they're good. - A crappy game can match that success on a console on it's Blockbuster/Hollywood Video Sales alone.

If video games were primarily for adults, we wouldn't have to worry about a ratings system now would we?

Console and PC gaming are two different entities entirely, we're comparing Apples to Oranges. The only thing similar about them is that they're both Fruit. Of course, I'm only reminding you of this because you even dared to mention that PC gaming is dead. The title especially irks me even now.

It's not even close to dead in any way - shape - or form, and I will chastise anybody who dares to even think that way.

Comment

It's not even close to dead in any way - shape - or form, and I will chastise anybody who dares to even think that way.
                            Oh yeah, keep talking babe.

:dead:

Comment

But you did ask... so I will say that PC creativity is still alive and booming in comparison to the pathetic knock-off/off-shoot/sequel filled frenzy known as console gaming.
                              Yes, i do agree that PC is best at FPS, hands down. But, bar Portal, there just hasn't been any creativity lately. The main reasons i think this happens is because large companies such as EA are buying up small developers such as Bullfrog and DICE and just nerfing them. Secondly, piracy and difficulty of programming makes PC games less profitable than a console counterpart.

But I digress, shall I remind you that every so-called console innovation was first done by the PC niche market?

Thing is, it doesn't matter who did it first. It's who is currently doing it best. And, at the moment (at the moment that is. Not last year or the future), console is. This includes things such as the Wii.

This means less impulse sales for PC games - more for console games.
                              And this is why game devs are moving towards consoles because its simply more profitable and easier in the long run.

Comment

I was thinking of getting a PS3...With a 19" TV/Screen...But i would have to sell my Computer to the side there <----------. You guys think its worth it? Ive experienced great games with great graphics but...i dunno..I would just like a more relaxed game..Liek i dont wanna be that guy who slumps over his keyboard and mouse playing a game all night long with headset on..I wanna sit on my bed with a wireless controller and play..relaxed..and have fun...Plus ALL my friends have PS3's and woudl love for me to join them..i coudl then free up my desk a bit to actually do some work!!! lol...if i have homework/coursework/revision to do..i just chuck it on the floor and play a game....

Lol sorry Alex for jackign your thread but didnt feel liek making another one asking basically the same stuff...

So...anyone wanna buy my PC? lol

Comment

Working...
                                X