Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spectate not respawn - PC version

Originally posted by Spik3d View Post
    Not to be rude, but that is the most retarded thing I've ever seen anybody type.
    Well then your attempt at not being rude failed. Perhaps if it was worded something like, "Not to be rude, but how does the freecam equal cheating? When I use the freecam such and such a thing happens."

What does the freecam do when on the server setting is set like this?

set scr_game_spectatetype "2"

Last time I was on a server that had it set to that, I was able to spectate all players, find where they were camping or moving to, then spawn and go to those locations.

Maybe I am wrong though, does it do something different for anyone else? My mental retardation tends to make me not entirely focus on how the freecam acts.

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Free Cam/Spectate has been used by single players and clans for yrs to get an unfair advantage, to see where opponents are hiding. It's not surprising many servers disable it, or make it team-only.

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d View Post
        Not to be rude, but that is the most retarded thing I've ever seen anybody type.
        spiked's anger makes cents :icon_tantrum:

Comment

If CoD4's spectating system was like that of previous CoD's, then I'd agree with what you're saying.

But there are times when there is suspicion of a cheater and the said player should be recorded for possible evidence. There are countless times when I've sat as a spectator, recording players, and sending it to the server admins on the previous CoD's. In CoD4, you don't have much time to record somebody if you suspect them of cheating, as all you can get is killcam if you're playing on a server with killcam disabled.

I guess it's really the server admin's decision on whether or not to have more of an environment that is hostile to cheaters.

Comment

freecam cannot be considered cheating. It can be considered extremely cheap if you are using it to spy on the other team and communicate to your team where the enemies are.

But because you can only track one spot at a time in freecam - you can really only communicate where one enemy is at a time. As CoD4 seems to be a fast paced game, that person is likely to move pretty quick. Granted, you are able to track his movements, but you are not able to act on them, only tell your team mates where he is.

Even then - most servers with free cam enabled also enable the kill cam which is used by anyone who dies to know where someone is.

Additionally I think Spik3d's argument is a little contradictory in that freecam makes it easier to spot cheaters because you have the ability to float around like a little fruit fly. If you want to track a player directly, then you just hit a button in order to look at their first person view. Freecam simply adds another option to he playing field.

Perhaps he is confusing freecam (spectator mode) with killcam (still in play)

Comment

Originally posted by troybob
              Additionally I think Spik3d's argument is a little contradictory in that freecam makes it easier to spot cheaters because you have the ability to float around like a little fruit fly. If you want to track a player directly, then you just hit a button in order to look at their first person view. Freecam simply adds another option to he playing field.

Perhaps he is confusing freecam (spectator mode) with killcam (still in play)
              That's not something that I'd confuse. You can view any live players with free spectating when a spectator (or on any team). I was talking about the spectator type, not the floating around when I said "free cam".

Originally posted by troybob
              ...because you have the ability to float around like a little fruit fly. If you want to track a player directly, then you just hit a button in order to look at their first person view. Freecam simply adds another option to he playing field.
              You lost me there.

Comment

no it's me. i got mixed up. i thought you were the one saying free-cam is cheating. you were simply replyin to that comment. So after you said "thats a stupid reply" - you made a follow up where i thought you were following up to "freecam = cheating" when in reality the first comment you made was your response to "freecam = cheating"

so basically i got you and crunch's arguments mixed up

i simply read too fast. ignore me

Allow me to try to put it all behind us and reply to the ACTUAL person who said its cheating:

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch View Post

Last time I was on a server that had it set to that, I was able to spectate all players, find where they were camping or moving to, then spawn and go to those locations.
                  I'll have to disagree. While you can spectate ALL players - you can only really look at one at a time. And while you may target that player the next time you spawn, there will be other enemies that may find YOU on your way to find THAT GUY.

So by the time you "cheat" by finding someones position - either you are mowed down by his buddies, or your target has moved on. Small map'd games like CoD4 really aren't hurt by free cam. Large map'd games like BF2 aren't really hurt by freecam either since it takes 3 years to find the guy hiding out in freecam in the 40 square miles you have to look

Comment

Originally posted by troybob View Post
                    I'll have to disagree. While you can spectate ALL players - you can only really look at one at a time. And while you may target that player the next time you spawn, there will be other enemies that may find YOU on your way to find THAT GUY.

So by the time you "cheat" by finding someones position - either you are mowed down by his buddies, or your target has moved on. Small map'd games like CoD4 really aren't hurt by free cam. Large map'd games like BF2 aren't really hurt by freecam either since it takes 3 years to find the guy hiding out in freecam in the 40 square miles you have to look
                    Those are good points Troy, the thing is that people that use hack programs also get killed. They are cheating, but someone stopped them a few times. As Whiskey pointed out, it is a KNOWN FACT that people have used the free cams to either spy on enemy locations or to have a budy in the free cam system telling where everyone is.

I feel, and still stand by my comment, that having a full freecam is a tool to promote cheating. You are killed in combat then get the bonus of looking at every enemy players location, what they are doing, and what weapons they have, IN FIRST PERSON and at your leisure! Hell, thats almost better than any hack program and its legit.

Anyway, its all matter of opinion and as Spik3d mentioned, its in the hands of admins and their servers anyhow.

Maybe someone should put a poll up on this and start a new thread and this post can go back to the OP.

Crunch
                    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Working...
                    X