No announcement yet.

Ubisoft Denies DRM as Cause for High CPU Usage in Assassin's Creed Origins PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubisoft Denies DRM as Cause for High CPU Usage in Assassin's Creed Origins PC

If you have played Assassin's Creed Origins for the PC, chances are pretty high you're seeing some extremely high CPU usage. Many of the people complaining, myself included, have high-end CPUs that are at, or very near, to 100% CPU usage on every core. I have seen people reporting max CPU usage that have overclocked 7700K (and better) CPUs.

My 6700K at 4.5GHz also sits near completely maxed out, making the additional toll of trying to stream with OBS almost impossible at framerates sitting at 60fps or more, even at 1080p. If I cap the game to 30fps, I do have a bit more CPU overhead to work with, but the low framerate can be a real eyesore. I, like many others, see no real performance gains by lowering any of the graphical settings.

The GPU? Well, for most people on high-end hardware, there is still plenty of headroom there while the CPU gets slammed. Ubisoft has issued a statement about the overly demanding CPU usage in the game and part of their claim says that it's not the dual-layers of DRM they have included with the game.

Assassin's Creed Origins utilizes both Denuvo DRM and VMProtect. These are in addition to other layers of DRM that include Uplay and Steam in many cases.
    "We're confirming that the anti-tamper solutions implemented in the Windows PC version of Assassin’s Creed Origins have no perceptible effect on game performance.

"In order to recreate a living, systemic and majestic open world of Ancient Egypt, where players can witness all of its stunning details, its beautiful landscapes & incredible cities, in a completely seamless way with no loading screens, Assassin’s Creed Origins uses the full extent of the minimum and recommended PC system requirements here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1759689 while ensuring a steady 30 FPS performance.

"We’re committed to ensuring the most optimum experience possible for everyone, and we advise any players who may encounter performance issues on PC to check out support.ubi.com as there might be already a workaround or to contact us further explaining their issues so that we can solve them."

Let's say that the statement from the Ubisoft representative is true. That would certainly seem to indicate then that the PC release of Assassin's Creed Origins is just horribly optimized. Again, this is assuming the multiple layers of DRM aren't the cause of the issue.

One Reddit user was able to gather some additional information that may explain why the game pegs the CPU as much as it does.
    The game runs poorly for other reasons, specifically their lack of investment for the PC version during engine development. Anvil Next engine has been rewritten with a bindless model for shaders but their DX12 renderer that goes hand in hand with this tech is only ready on Xbox One. On PC this cannot be handled so they use an extra binding wrapper to communicate between D3D11 and their renderer, this was co developed by Intel and Ubisoft. This goes against what AMD and Nvidia recommends to developers, uses a lot of extra CPU power and render their cards' power useless in certain situations (e.g. city areas in Origins).

The short of it seems to be that Ubisoft went against conventional coding techniques. If this game is indeed utilizing this wrapper created with Intel, it may also help to explain why many people with the latest AMD CPUs are also running into issues. Some of those users have been told that they will have better performance and fewer crashes if they disable some of their CPU cores. Yikes.

As it stands right now, the PC release of Assassin's Creed Origins is a right mess. It seems to be under-utilizing the GPU and over-utilizing the CPU in most cases. Whether or not you want to believe the statement about DRM not being the cause is up to you. We may not know for sure until a non-DRM filled version surfaces or until Ubisoft patches the PC version.

(via GearNuke)
Working...
X