No announcement yet.

How should Jets and AA be done in BF3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How should Jets and AA be done in BF3?

You played 60 hours of lonewolf. You basically never played bf2 the way it was intended to be played. There is no way you can play a game like BF2 for 70 hours and "know" it. You have a total of 2 hours in air defense.

But fair enough, how about you then compare say a BF2 Tank and a Jet and tell me how they have equal strengths?
    LOLWUT

Comment

Lolwhy?
      They are vehicles which should have different strengths and weaknesses.
      Unless you want the model where one vehicle is at the top of the pyramid?

Comment

lolthequestionispointless

You have 38 kills with a negative kdr as in opposite of good in air defense. I have a 1.7 kdr in air defense.

I seriously do not see you as someone who can make valid arguments about balancing anything in a direct sequel to BF2.

Comment

You think so? Well, time will tell, in this case in the form of BF3.

Comment

Originally posted by LunaTiK TunaLiK
            I don't see any reason to bring up 2142 in a BF3 thread.
            And thats why talking about BF3 falls in the ****ter. Like it or not 2142 WAS a true Battlefield game, and after some tweaks and fixes was more balanced than BF2 could be. Make all the walls of text you want, its not going away and its not changing the play.

Yeah, CS:S syndrome hit the BF2 community with that one. Guess whats going to happen when BF3 is out? Go ahead, guess. I see all these posts on guess this and guess that. Lets make one "Guess when people will start saying they are bored." Guess when people will start saying its not BF2." Id say start one that says "Guess when people start saying its BC3" but that already past.

Its obvious DICE is taking things from all the Battlefields AND Bad Companies AND mods. They are changing it up a lot.

Crunch
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by LunaTiK TunaLiK
              lolthequestionispointless

You have 38 kills with a negative kdr as in opposite of good in air defense. I have a 1.7 kdr in air defense.

I seriously do not see you as someone who can make valid arguments about balancing anything in a direct sequel to BF2.
              Oh, stealt edit. Classy.
              Its a nice K/D you have there, but it doesnt tell a thing about how many Jets you have killed, and how many shots it took.
              I dont think that data is available outside EA.

I also fail to see why you think the gameplay will be a direct sucessor to BF2.
              BF2142 was the direct successor on Refractor, and BC2 the predecessor on Frostbite.

BF3 is more likely to be a mix of the mechanics from these two than a clone of BF2. There is a reason why DICE changed things, you know.

Comment

I have an average 2:1 to 3:1 KDR in Mobile STA in BF2. Im an authority here.

Use POE2 system. Powerful mobile platforms which directly counter any and all air units, but are powerless against ground units.
                Compliment with pickup kits and specialized Mobile STA platforms (like Tunguska). This way, infantry has their own air defense weapons, but the numbers are limited to adequately answer the threat, and the vehicles will act as direct counters to air on their own.

Comment

Seems reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
                    Thats pretty much the SAAW from BF2142. A good weapon, but suffering from DICE-code.
                    I wouldnt mind that solution, and I suspect that we will actually get something like it in BF3. But a lot of people are going to whine and call it a skill-less weapon because of the lock-on.
                    Never played 2142.

But there's nothing you can do to make it require skill, if you made it laser guided, it'd be a pain in the ass to hit a jet unless they were going straight at or away from you.

All that I think needs to be done is making flares actually work. Give the pilot, say, 20 flares (number could change for balance), and he can fire one at a time with no "reload" (or a second reload max) between them. So he could essential fire 20 flares in under 20 seconds. They'd also have to be rearm-able by flying over a friendly runway.

Edit: My AA KDR is 3.95 btw

Comment

Use POE2 system. Powerful mobile platforms which directly counter any and all air units, but are powerless against ground units.
                      Compliment with pickup kits and specialized Mobile STA platforms (like Tunguska). This way, infantry has their own air defense weapons, but the numbers are limited to adequately answer the threat, and the vehicles will act as direct counters to air on their own.
                      That's exactly what I said! And I have a 3.8 ratio in air defense so I know what it is to be pwn in a dual Stinger deathtrap. The fact that PoE2 AA system was all skill and not some random stingers going everywhere helped a lot, that and the damage.

Although I'm not sure about pick-up kits, there never was pick-up kits in vanilla BF and well you can take an infinite number of antitank against tanks so why not infinite stingers against helo/jets?

Comment

Originally posted by Infernalis
                        Although I'm not sure about pick-up kits, there never was pick-up kits in vanilla BF and well you can take an infinite number of antitank against tanks so why not infinite stingers against helo/jets?
                        Well, the number of AT kits able to bear on a specific tank is usually limited by the terrain. A Jet would be targetable from almost anywhere on the map.
                        We know people tend to clutter together, so on a 64 player map there could be an obscene amount of AA waiting near hot spots.

I dont think they will do it this way though, kit limitation has never been DICEs cup of tea. Maybe make it a high-ranking unlock?

Comment

Yeah, I like the POE2 sound as well. Especially now that I know how it was setup as I am one of the people that tried POE2, but it would just destroy Battlefield on my machine and I would spend a few hours putting everything back.

Crunch
                          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

But then what about BF2142 with infinite portable AA? Do not make it high-ranked unlock, you should have the power to take any vehicle out from the start and not rely on a few high-ranked players. That remind me of MW2, a team made of players level 30 and under had no stingers so they were raped like crazy by choppers/AC130 (even though CoD players weren't intelligent enough to spawn with stingers anyway...).

By trading anti-infantry power and others abilities (revive/ammo etc) you should be able to destroy every vehicle if there's enough player with AT/AA kits.

Comment

Yes, but COD has no AA vehicles. In the POE2 setup there would be Tunguskas etc. around that could really put the hurt on aircrafts.
                              As far as I remeber, the SAAW was fairly high up in the unlock tree, so only dedicated engineers would have it available.

The thing with a portable AA is that is the logical choice for most drivers. Your vehicle has usually better AT firepower than the various RPGs, but something like a stinger allows you to jump out of your vehicle and take on aircrafts.

Comment

wahahah EPEEN STROKING YES

This website is for sale! 2142-stats.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, 2142-stats.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/stats/pc/MrChris_CJ/ (and the semi BF game)

as you can see I am qualified to tell God how to play Battlefield

HA

but jokes aside, lets just say the AA systems in 2142 were well suited to how that game was setup because of active defence etc
                                The SAAW in that game though, and I can tell you as an utter gunship whore (I used to solo that ****er) that after a period of great success killing people in the gunship you would start to get the inevitable lock on signals that gave away SAAW users, if you were not then looking in rear camera and had the AD ready you were going to die; otherwise the whole EMP system as well as the AA turrets and walker based AA made it all very good

would that **** work in BF2, ha no, no futuristic active defence to turn on; AA got an adrenaline shot in 2142 while airpower got stamped on, but then again it had its benefits, no braindead ****er could just jump into a gunship and destroy half a team

I personally just hope the AA has a bit of skill and variety to it, it should be there on the battlefield but not (if you get what I mean) so its seamlessly integrated rather than some massive ****ing aspect that everyone has to worry about else they will die

Comment

Working...
                                X