No announcement yet.

How should Jets and AA be done in BF3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How should Jets and AA be done in BF3?

It's something that isn't needed which would probably take away from strategy. Doing jet drops adds strategy to the game. When you are pushed back and can't get from A to B you take a jet and drop off a full squad. That squad disperses into more squads people join and spawn in. It might not be realistic but it's a game and many things about it aren't realistic to add better gameplay.

Then there are always maps where one flag is the most important flag and who ever gets it first usually wins the game. A good example of this is Operation smoke screen. Euro side gets the hop on the most important flag (power plant, if not that's what I'm calling it here?) I think. The flag that's up on the top of the hill with the two big buildings. It's got a little flag next to it and you can push to that flag with ease. Powerplant is an extremely hard flag to capture and it's got a mobile AA. Who ever gets this flag first tends to when the game and the best way to get the flag is to do jet drops.

I for one don't wont them spending time on something which will only take away from strategy. Plus you'll probably die anyways. The jet which was following you is just going to make another pass and get the kill he deserves.

Comment

One thing about talking about BF3 is that its all speculation. We can hope for things and discuss ideas and why we think something should or shouldnt be. The thing is that its all opinion based on our experiences. Different sides of the fence.

Lets stop the personal attacks, changing the topics, and start respecting each others opinions. Thats all they are and it doesnt make them right or wrong. Sometimes you have to agree to disagree.

Crunch
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

they should make it so that you can't bail out unless your vehicle has 20% or less health.
        i hate getting killed while inside a bailing aircraft.

Comment

I'm not a seasoned BF2 fanboy, but jets seem awfully impractical to me. Maps aren't nearly large enough for them to fly at semi-accurate speeds, if I'm imagining things correctly. So they're essentially just really fast helicopters with different physics?

Can someone enlighten me a bit here?

Comment

Oh no, jets worked out great in BF2 as far as jets went. When your in a jet, the map area is much larger for jets to maneuver and there is no ceiling limit, or close to it anyway. I did get stuck in the sky a few times. Anyway, because of this they can move around quite a bit. They are also VERY fast. Probably not as fast as real time, but neither is anything else. So the speed is a bit skewed, its pretty realistic.

Helis are quite a bit slower and a bit more clunky in movements. The axis of the heli is very different from any of the other vehicles, which is why you see so many flip backwards in BF2 movies. Until you learn to balance the heli, youre going to flip. I always felt the armor on the heli was stronger than a jet as well. That may be wrong though.

So yeah, they really do work well and are very different from each other.
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
              Oh no, jets worked out great in BF2 as far as jets went. When your in a jet, the map area is much larger for jets to maneuver and there is no ceiling limit, or close to it anyway. I did get stuck in the sky a few times. Anyway, because of this they can move around quite a bit. They are also VERY fast. Probably not as fast as real time, but neither is anything else. So the speed is a bit skewed, its pretty realistic.

Helis are quite a bit slower and a bit more clunky in movements. The axis of the heli is very different from any of the other vehicles, which is why you see so many flip backwards in BF2 movies. Until you learn to balance the heli, youre going to flip. I always felt the armor on the heli was stronger than a jet as well. That may be wrong though.

So yeah, they really do work well and are very different from each other.
              Well that's that then. I retract my statement. (See? I can be a good sport.)

Comment

There was no ceiling, but after around 850m your plane would stall and you'd continue to float around until you went back below 850m after which time you regained control. If you afterburnered and headed straight up you could easily reach heights over 1500m but it would take a looooooooong time for you to freefall back down. If you happened to be heading in any particular direction you were basically screwed because you'd end up sailing out of bounds until your health ticked down and you got a no more.

As for armour, yes, helis were much better armoured than jets. A single AT missile is enough to take out any jet but all helis can take at least one (transports can take two and survive). It's fair enough, I guess, considering helis are typically subjected to more fire than jets.

Comment

Helis need air to air missiles that lock on. Not many but at least some. Again we tried this and stuck with it I think maybe in 21CW? I can't remember but it helped a lot and wasn't overpowered.

Comment

well proportionally (to the rest of the game) the speed of jets weren't accurate to real life speeds and they mention this in one of their interviews. if they were at accurate speeds, they wouldn't really be playable or worth having in the game.

Comment

• Re: How should Jets and AA be done in BF3?

It felt like they were though. For the size of the maps I think they got the speed right. Technically a jet would zip though a map that size in a few seconds.

There were a hell of a lot faster than helicopters.

Really they could have been a little slower for balance.

Comment

Video blocked by Sony Music Entertainment. I am starting to get a tiny bit annoyed with those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by LunaTiK TunaLiK
                          It felt like they were though. For the size of the maps I think they got the speed right. Technically a jet would zip though a map that size in a few seconds.

There were a hell of a lot faster than helicopters.

Really they could have been a little slower for balance.
                          Still seems pretty slow. It doesn't look that hard to aim and attack ground troops at that speed. Just seems like a really powerful quickly moving chopper.

I think that's the problem. A jet realistically would be going so fast that you couldn't just do loops in such a small area and bomb everything in sight.

Comment

I don't get why you're all talking about realism in that much detail when it's a video game where you can get shot in the face with an M16 and survive. Or that you can be zapped back to life after being blown up by C4.

Realism in a non-sim video game is just stupid, and you're all having double standards.

Comment

realism can be a useful point of reference from which to frame certain gameplay aspects of course

the jets were pretty fast, but they fit in well in BF2, yes in real life a jet doing mach 1-2 would cause all noob pilots to faceplant the floor, but the scale at which BF2 worked at was good, jets had more space to move in

but yeh I agree on the helicopters, if the AA can finally destroy jets then helis will also need to be looked at, more armour for sure, lest the blackhawk retains the title of flying coffin

Comment

Originally posted by jake_
                                Still seems pretty slow. It doesn't look that hard to aim and attack ground troops at that speed. Just seems like a really powerful quickly moving chopper.

I think that's the problem. A jet realistically would be going so fast that you couldn't just do loops in such a small area and bomb everything in sight.
                                Not as easy at it seems. Without good guessing or attack markers on troop locations it isn't very easy to kill troops on the ground. Jets aren't that easy to get the hang of. Only really good jet pilots typically get high scores and they normally have to have no real opposition. You haven't played bf2?

Comment

Working...
                                X