Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: So this is IO..(infantry only)

Originally posted by ~WPN~Major Ursa

You brought in the other game companies and their offerings, not me.
    I did. He was referring to me.
    Originally posted by PlaneWhore
    We're talking about BF2 not all these other games.
    We're getting off topic but fact is IO mode is a BF2 problem, not a BF2142 problem so bringing up other games is just silly.
    Are you trying to tell me that when all these highly expected games will be released, you will not jump in the seat of the new 'hot car' ?! And you will continue to play BF2?!
    I don't think so. A lot of players move on to newer and hotter games. Same has happened to BF1942 and BFV, when they brought us BF2.
    So enjoy it while you can, because your fear of running out of playable servers is going to become true, sooner rather then later. I guess October is the beginning of the end…

Comment

Originally posted by Batausu
      No problem, I must have missed your post. This machine I am on kind of makes these pages skip about after a refresh. I guess I should just return to the main discussion board each time to avoid the problem.

Anyway, our points about the community getting fractured by MORE than IO mode are equally valid.

Comment

The more I think about it, I have no idea what opponents of IO are complaining about and why they're trying to convince other people that... actually, what ARE you guys trying to prove?

The truth is that IO, as mentioned before, is completely optional. You aren't penalized for not playing on IO servers. What's the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by panda.attack
          The more I think about it, I have no idea what opponents of IO are complaining about and why they're trying to convince other people that... actually, what ARE you guys trying to prove?

The truth is that IO, as mentioned before, is completely optional. You aren't penalized for not playing on IO servers. What's the problem?
          IO isn't completely optional, it's a compulsory download. Mods and expansion packs are completely optional.

The more divided the servers are the smaller the number of appealing servers become. Doing this for a good mod or a decent alternative game mode would be sweet, but for a legitimised stat padding mode, I mean WTF?

The problem is that k/p servers are ban material, due to padding and the fact that they make the players stats incomparable to players who don't play k/p servers.

IO mode is just k/p with guns and nades allowed.

Comment

Are you trying to tell me that when all these highly expected games will be released, you will not jump in the seat of the new 'hot car' ?! And you will continue to play BF2?!
            I don't think so. A lot of players move on to newer and hotter games. Same has happened to BF1942 and BFV, when they brought us BF2.
            So enjoy it while you can, because your fear of running out of playable servers is going to become true, sooner rather then later. I guess October is the beginning of the end…
            I'm telling you when Battlefield 2142 goes gold I probably won't buy it unless it gets absolutely phenominal reviews (as in better than BF1942) and is completely bug free. However I can say without a doubt that I will be buying TF2 and QW:ET because I know that both of those games will be guaranteed quality. I can no longer trust DICE to produce a finshed quality product because over a year later massive imbalances are still in the game.. and what does DICE do? Create a mode nobody asked for! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazza66
              IO isn't completely optional, it's a compulsory download. Mods and expansion packs are completely optional.

The more divided the servers are the smaller the number of appealing servers become. Doing this for a good mod or a decent alternative game mode would be sweet, but for a legitimised stat padding mode, I mean WTF?

The problem is that k/p servers are ban material, due to padding and the fact that they make the players stats incomparable to players who don't play k/p servers.

IO mode is just k/p with guns and nades allowed.
              Mmm, well...
              "IO isn't completely optional, it's a compulsory download."
              "IO mode is just k/p with guns and nades allowed."

Is that really so bad? Nobody will make you or anyone else play IO. The IO mode simply being an option won't harm your computer. It won't steal your megahurtz. It won't take up 700mb of space.

As for an 'appealing' server, that'll depend on what appeals to the individual player. What may be appealing to some may not be appealing to others. EA is trying to cater to everyone, even those who play mainly for stats.

Comment

… over a year later massive imbalances are still in the game.. and what does DICE do? Create a mode nobody asked for! WTF!
                Can't you see that you are getting worked out for nothing? IO mode is just an attempt to keep the interest up on BF2 until BF2142 is out, nothing more.
                It's meant to attract fresh blood to BF series. Look here, a better CS like game and ranked!
                Is going to be old news in a couple of months anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by panda.attack
                  Mmm, well...
                  "IO isn't completely optional, it's a compulsory download."
                  "IO mode is just k/p with guns and nades allowed."

Is that really so bad? Nobody will make you or anyone else play IO. The IO mode simply being an option won't harm your computer. It won't steal your megahurtz. It won't take up 700mb of space.

As for an 'appealing' server, that'll depend on what appeals to the individual player. What may be appealing to some may not be appealing to others. EA is trying to cater to everyone, even those who play mainly for stats.
                  Like I said, doing this for an optional game mode that is not just legitimised stats padding would be fine with me.

It's not just splitting the player base and servers up that concerns me, it's the fact that DICE are willing to do it simply to pander to stats whores.

Can't you see that you are getting worked out for nothing? IO mode is just an attempt to keep the interest up on BF2 until BF2142 is out, nothing more.
                  There are many BETTER mode options that could keep the interest up. The problem for me is that an official stats padding mode has been chosen for that mode.

Also fixing what must number at over 100 bugs, exploits and imbalances would go a damn long way keeping interest up, but are we getting any with 1.4? One bug fix I think it is: pathetic.

Comment

Yeah, DICE gives a bunch of hooey about how fixing the collision meshes on the F35B and MiG-29 would be too time consuming, yet they have no qualms about spending their time creating a game 'mode' that had a ranked server used such a rule only months ago it would have been shut down and peoples' stats would have been wiped. Instead of addressing real issues, they pander to the stat junkies. Patch 1.4 is more of a ploy urging people to get BF2142 than it is about fixing BF2. How long have servers been crashing? How many CTDs have you all had? How many of you sort of close your eyes and hold your breath when you click that 'Join Game' button and hope you see the spawn screen instead of a black screen or your desktop? Instead of releasing a patch to fix this up ASAP, they decided to wait until Infantry Only mode was ready for release. Yeah, that's quite annoying, actually.

~Wolfgang

Comment

IO will be fun on Oman

Comment

I'm telling you when Battlefield 2142 goes gold I probably won't buy it unless it gets absolutely phenominal reviews (as in better than BF1942) and is completely bug free. However I can say without a doubt that I will be buying TF2 and QW:ET because I know that both of those games will be guaranteed quality. I can no longer trust DICE to produce a finshed quality product because over a year later massive imbalances are still in the game.. and what does DICE do? Create a mode nobody asked for! WTF!
                        Having played ET:QW first hand at quakecon this year, I still can’t fathom how so many people think that this game (ET:QW) is going to be the salvation of the vehicle/realism genre.

ET:QW is so unrealistic/arcade-like it’s not even funny.
                        It’s about 5 times faster than BF2, it has far more spam, and infantry combat is pure quake style (reflex based and full of jumping and dashing all over the place in firefights).

And the vehicles are almost nothing more than modes of transportation.
                        The soldier class (formerly the panzerfaust guy from Enemy Territory) can drop any air vehicle from his shoulder-mounted rocket (and unlike BF2, they home right in 100% of the time) with just two hits.

The tanks and other ground vehicles are weak and handle poorly (compared to the tight controls in BF2).

Don’t get me wrong, it IS a fun game, but it’s more like a slightly slower version of Quake 4 meets Enemy Territory on the DOOM 3 engine with a sprinkle of vehicles tossed in as an afterthought.

And as for it being a “quality” product…
                        DOOM 3 and Quake 4 were two of the biggest flops (as far as a multiplayer community goes) in the history of online gaming.

It’s not because either game had poor sales, both sold astoundingly well.
                        What killed both games was a complete and total black-out as far as developer support and communication went.

You think waiting for the BF2 1.4 patch is bad?

Try waiting 3 months after the initial release (with no communication) for a simple hotfix that corrected a problem that was keeping almost 90% of the active servers empty (both DOOM 3 and Quake 4 shipped with no auto-download option, thus almost every active server that was not totally pure prohibited anyone from joining).

Id utterly destroyed the original online gaming franchise (Quake) with their complete and total lack of support for their last two releases.

And as for Splash Damage, to this day, there have only been a couple patches for Enemy Territory. Almost every major fix that was done to the game was done by mod teams like ETPro.

Prior to my screwing around in BF2, I was a competitive Enemy Territory player as well as D3 and Quake 4 1v1, trust me, no matter how bad you think EA/Dice is treating this franchise, it's a thousand times better than what id does for their games these days (the last time they gave a crap was with Quake 3).

Comment

Originally posted by everec
                          IO will be fun on Oman
                          Maybe, but 2 weeks after release of 1.4 you'll be there alone. Within 4 weeks most IO servers will be 24/7 Karkand, with a sprinkling of Sharqi and Mashtuur.

Comment

ye the IO servers are ok as long as admin is in the room.

Comment

Another thing overlooked in this debate: OMG, yes HAX.

At the moment hax0rs are kept in check by vehicles, artillery, jets etc., etc.
                              When the game becomes more like CS, with IO the h4x0r5 will be bunny hopping with glee.

With IO there will be no target they cannot take out, making the game much more appealing to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazza66
                                Another thing overlooked in this debate: OMG, yes HAX.

At the moment hax0rs are kept in check by vehicles, artillery, jets etc., etc.
                                When the game becomes more like CS, with IO the h4x0r5 will be bunny hopping with glee.

With IO there will be no target they cannot take out, making the game much more appealing to them.
                                Seriously, Im going to keep visiting IO servers like I was going to go into a zoo. You know, you watch monkeys from behind the bars? Well, Im just gonna jump into spectate mode and see the retardation beyond my limits happening...

Comment

Working...
                                X