Remove Commander mode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remove Commander mode.

I don't get it. I have spent about 30 playtime hours recently trying to get my spec ops and sniper badge. When I play these two, i try to do what they are "supposed" to do.

As a sniper, I go and find a spot and take some people down, move, rinse, repeat.

As spec ops I go blow up the enemy commanders resources. Intelligently, I go for the sat scan and the UAV first. You know, the thing that you would do if you thought about it first? Instead of thinking people say, "wah! The commander found me! Nerf/remove commander mode!"

I have not been in a situation yet where I have been constantly owned by a commander.

There is a way to stop the commander from screwing you, if you really think you are being screwed, and that is by taking out his assests or him.

The game requires a little team work and the commander, if played properly, helps bring teamwork to the game.

Comment

I like commander mode, but I think it should be removed in Special Forces, arty ruins that game.

Comment

Originally posted by evilzucchini
        I don't get it. I have spent about 30 playtime hours recently trying to get my spec ops and sniper badge. When I play these two, i try to do what they are "supposed" to do.

As a sniper, I go and find a spot and take some people down, move, rinse, repeat.

As spec ops I go blow up the enemy commanders resources. Intelligently, I go for the sat scan and the UAV first. You know, the thing that you would do if you thought about it first? Instead of thinking people say, "wah! The commander found me! Nerf/remove commander mode!"

I have not been in a situation yet where I have been constantly owned by a commander.

There is a way to stop the commander from screwing you, if you really think you are being screwed, and that is by taking out his assests or him.

The game requires a little team work and the commander, if played properly, helps bring teamwork to the game.
        Hi, I'm reality....have we met ?

Comment

From what you are saying that Commander should be made as an option, you have given most of the team players an impression that you play as lone wolves most of the time!

The general idea of Commander is not bad, in fact it is good and some how realistic. Have you seen the movie "Enemy of the State"? Modern days battle or war relies much on satellite imageries. What the commander roles does is in fact useful in many circumstances. One which comes right up to my mind is a small passage denial. An intelligent commader uses artillery not to kill enemies, but to cover ground troops to advance, clear the way for them Take Ghost Town for instance, I blow up the bridges to stop rebels from capturing my base just to name a few. Along the way, killing a few enemies is just a plus.

Sniper camping on roof top is a nuisance to many, but it legitimate. So as Commander I am given a full view / situation of the battlefiled including campers and it is the role of the commander to remove the campers. Campers are very lethal threat to friendlies.

Commander's satellite view however, is not a super all visible tool. Like in Warlords, the scan or uav doesn't reveals whether the enemies are on which floor of the TV station. I can only VoIP to my teams that there are boggies in your vincinity, precision is not possible in that case.

If you are a Spec Ops, you can kill the UAV trailer and the Satellite dish to blind your enemy right? Or you find it difficult to do that?

Comment

Naw... remove snipers.
            I hate gettin shot my some guy I can't see.
            It's not fair.
            There should be a requirement for anyone who shoots (at me) to run out into the open and jump up and down for atleast 3 seconds before pulling the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by iostreamz
              Hi, I'm reality....have we met ?
              Wow, great response.

Thanks for the completely necessary and warranted typical ******* response.

Comment

Originally posted by BF2Freak
                From what you are saying that Commander should be made as an option, you have given most of the team players an impression that you play as lone wolves most of the time!

The general idea of Commander is not bad, in fact it is good and some how realistic. Have you seen the movie "Enemy of the State"? Modern days battle or war relies much on satellite imageries. What the commander roles does is in fact useful in many circumstances. One which comes right up to my mind is a small passage denial. An intelligent commader uses artillery not to kill enemies, but to cover ground troops to advance, clear the way for them Take Ghost Town for instance, I blow up the bridges to stop rebels from capturing my base just to name a few. Along the way, killing a few enemies is just a plus.

Sniper camping on roof top is a nuisance to many, but it legitimate. So as Commander I am given a full view / situation of the battlefiled including campers and it is the role of the commander to remove the campers. Campers are very lethal threat to friendlies.

Commander's satellite view however, is not a super all visible tool. Like in Warlords, the scan or uav doesn't reveals whether the enemies are on which floor of the TV station. I can only VoIP to my teams that there are boggies in your vincinity, precision is not possible in that case.
                You want to bring RL into this ?

First off allot of my time is logged as lone wolf, most of it is divided between Smember, SLeader, and i have some time as commander.

Now in real life, a UAV,or satilite imagery , WILL NOT point him out with a little flashing red light

I am an equal opportunity complainer. I give equal experimentation to all sides of things before I /rant

In P.U.Gs on public servers...commander mode is nothing more than random scans, with even more random arti, and a rare supply drop every now and then(unless the commander is competent, which also rarely happens).

Im saying that is should be removed or given the option to be disabled(at best)....but this is IMHO and again just my two tickets.

EDIT**
                If you're looking for "teamwork" in a PUB, then you're looking in the wrong place chief.

Hell i have been blown out of the sky b/c i got a plan first and one of my team mates was ****ed, that i got there first.....and i'm supposed to put in effort for the "team"...naw....im going to worry about me and get mine...now when I find a server that decent, competent players...i have one or two on my fav list, then things are different....buy this happens 1% of the time so im not going to get into that now.

Comment

Make it more interestig, why don't make Commander capable of seeing the other Commander. So Commander can bomb each other's ass and in the worst scenario, Commander can command his teams to hunt for the other Commander.

As to sniper, give them a small deive to make them invisible to the UAV or SCAN function. Give them additional vests so that artillery can't kill them.

Comment

I don't think it should be removed completely, but it would be nice if there was a server setting to disable certain commander assets or change the recharge times.

sv.allowCommArtillery 0
                    sv.delayCommArtillery 300
                    sv.allowCommUAV 0
                    sv.delayCommUAV 45

I can dream, can't I?

Comment

Originally posted by C.Sartoris
                      I don't think it should be removed completely, but it would be nice if there was a server setting to disable certain commander assets or change the recharge times.

sv.allowCommArtillery 0
                      sv.allowCommUAV 0
                      sv.delayCommUAV 45

I can dream, can't I?
                      You see, this is a compromise that i would be willing to make.

Nice work,

Comment

custom maps with out the commander tools cept the supply drop = ownage. Need statS? Go for an alt stat system.

Comment

Originally posted by iostreamz
                          You want to bring RL into this ?

First off allot of my time is logged as lone wolf, most of it is divided between Smember, SLeader, and i have some time as commander.

Now in real life, a UAV,or satilite imagery , WILL NOT point him out with a little flashing red light

I am an equal opportunity complainer. I give equal experimentation to all sides of things before I /rant

In P.U.Gs on public servers...commander mode is nothing more than random scans, with even more random arti, and a rare supply drop every now and then(unless the commander is competent, which also rarely happens).

Im saying that is should be removed or given the option to be disabled(at best)....but this is IMHO and again just my two tickets.
                          Look, you should go watch the movie buddy, it's called "Enemy of the State". In the movie, you will see how powerful satellite technology is in the last century. By the way, at maximum zoom, Spec Ops can be seen under UAV, they are just not illuminted as a red dot.

I have been a Commander for many hours. What I normally do is that SCAN first to see which area is the hostest. At the same time, check where most people are. Some of you are right, if your team is a bunch of ass holes, there is no point of being a commander because I feel like helping them most of the time not myself. I don't earn many points as a commader besides I have to sacrifice my time making a trade-off between siting there quietly and runnign around killing others to take points. When I see where the majority of friendlies are going, I will decide at which spot I should circle down the UAV. In Warlords I used to place the UAV between the TV Station and the Insurgent Hideout. Because that's the hotest area most of the time. You may ask, why you are not illuminating the Palace where both sides are fighting acridly over there. Answer is simple, Palace is more in doors and one can lcate the other much easier and there are less distractions and less objects which can be used to camouflage oneself.

So that's how I use the UAV and SCAN jointly. I could be wrong at the proper usage but it was useful most of the time. As to Artillery, I could write a small manual about its usage. But to make it short, I use artillery to deny enemy's advance, break their perimeter, cover my friendlies and some how, remove low flying choppers. But I must admit that I am quite biased against sniper, I can't tell if they are Spec Ops or Sniper as long as they are on the roof of a building remain staionery most of the time. Then I will bomb them hopefully killing them.

Comment

Originally posted by BF2Freak
                            The general idea of Commander is not bad, in fact it is good and some how realistic. Have you seen the movie "Enemy of the State"?
                            Or even better, Blackhawk Down. The commander is a representation of the entire support staff behind the men in the battlefield. The scan function makes complete sense given the technology you see in the movie.

This game is not about lone wolfing it. That's just boring. Commander abilities break up stalemates, keep the game moving, and reduce frustration with campers.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Sartoris

sv.allowCommArtillery 0
                              sv.allowCommUAV 0
                              sv.delayCommUAV 45

I can dream, can't I?
                              What about: Disable the use of supplies to repair the assets. Destroyed assets must be repaired by Engineer and at least 2 points should be awarded to Engineer, currently 1 point seems rather mean! Don;t you ever think so?

Comment

The commanders are incompetent, yet you admit to getting owned by them.

Seems to me that the problem isn't the Commander mode, but you.

Basically, your complaint is that there is no team work. However, is it the commander who hunts you down? Or does the commander spot you and other people hunt you down? The latter sounds suspicously like teamwork to me.

How do you even know that you were spotted by the commander? How do you know that the person didn't see you sitting in one place?

Does it really take you five minutes to get into position? If so, you suck. And do you really think there are any comfy positions in the game? Give me a break. Any position that you have found 1000 other players have sat there as well. Even without the commander role you can't sit in one place for too long.

The only thing I have taken from this debate is that you aren't very good at this game or don't realize that you are playing against humans who have played the map you are on 1000 times.

Give me a break. If you are having such a problem with it it is because you suck. Learn2play.

Comment

Working...
                                X