To all you graphics whores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To all you graphics whores

54C is pretty hot. Maybe you should look into some aftermarket cooling.

Comment

54C is pretty hot. Maybe you should look into some aftermarket cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by kaine904
        Well boys n' girls, i hear all of u talking about "fancy" hardware like "5600s" and "9200s" and even the god awful "7800". Well, i run my BF2 on a piece of **** dell mobo... i dont even know if it has a name. i also run on a good old fashioned vanilla 5200 GeForce FX. This sucker has lasted me from bf1942 on low graphics, to Doom 3 on low graphics, to Far Cry on low graphics, to Half life Friggen 2 on low graphics. This baby runs EVERYTHING! Even though some may debate the definition of running at the point where one has to run at 800 res all the time... BUT IT DOES IT SMOOTH as silk! I mean i see all these fancy rigs that light up, make your coffe, hell, i saw one that you could fit a midget inside! I bet one of em out there can even kill varmats on demand. I've seen it all, and i always come back to my good ol Betsy Dell.

BUT! I have seen the light, and am currently biulding my next rig. Which of course i will be posting this same post in about 2 years about it.

Case- 480-Watt ATX Form Factor -$100
        Processor- AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 -$850 from Ebay
        Mobo- Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe -$125 from Ebay
        Memory- Twin 1gb PC-3200 DDR -$200 from Ebay
        DVD-Rom- Pioneer DVR (dl) - $40 from Ebay
        CD-RW- Plextor 52x32x52 -Who Cares Dirt Cheep ($20)
        Floppy- Do i have to write it out? ($8)
        Hard Drive- 200gb Samsung (already own it)
        Sound Card- Creative Labs SB Audigy 2 ZS - $70 from Ebay
        Video Card- Two 256mb GeForce 7800 GTXs - $1000 from EBAY!

Soo... the moral is... if ur rig is ****, u can play anything, and if u wana splurge, do it in style.

-Kaine
        Preach MAHHHH BROTHAS

Comment

Originally posted by kaine904
          Well boys n' girls, i hear all of u talking about "fancy" hardware like "5600s" and "9200s" and even the god awful "7800". Well, i run my BF2 on a piece of **** dell mobo... i dont even know if it has a name. i also run on a good old fashioned vanilla 5200 GeForce FX. This sucker has lasted me from bf1942 on low graphics, to Doom 3 on low graphics, to Far Cry on low graphics, to Half life Friggen 2 on low graphics. This baby runs EVERYTHING! Even though some may debate the definition of running at the point where one has to run at 800 res all the time... BUT IT DOES IT SMOOTH as silk! I mean i see all these fancy rigs that light up, make your coffe, hell, i saw one that you could fit a midget inside! I bet one of em out there can even kill varmats on demand. I've seen it all, and i always come back to my good ol Betsy Dell.

BUT! I have seen the light, and am currently biulding my next rig. Which of course i will be posting this same post in about 2 years about it.

Case- 480-Watt ATX Form Factor -$100
          Processor- AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 -$850 from Ebay
          Mobo- Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe -$125 from Ebay
          Memory- Twin 1gb PC-3200 DDR -$200 from Ebay
          DVD-Rom- Pioneer DVR (dl) - $40 from Ebay
          CD-RW- Plextor 52x32x52 -Who Cares Dirt Cheep ($20)
          Floppy- Do i have to write it out? ($8)
          Hard Drive- 200gb Samsung (already own it)
          Sound Card- Creative Labs SB Audigy 2 ZS - $70 from Ebay
          Video Card- Two 256mb GeForce 7800 GTXs - $1000 from EBAY!

Soo... the moral is... if ur rig is ****, u can play anything, and if u wana splurge, do it in style.

-Kaine
          Preach MAHHHH BROTHAS

Comment

Originally posted by Gabe
            you also might want to make sure your hard drive is atleast 7200rpm and is a sata
            7200rpm should be a given but SATA is no faster than PATA in practice; a single hard drive can't transfer data fast enough to overtax PATA yet (with the possible exception of the 10000rpm Raptor drives). SATA is better for your case cooling airflow because of thinner cables.

Throw a floppy in if you can get one for free from a trashed PC but I wouldn't pay for it. I do BIOS updates from a bootable CD.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabe
              you also might want to make sure your hard drive is atleast 7200rpm and is a sata
              7200rpm should be a given but SATA is no faster than PATA in practice; a single hard drive can't transfer data fast enough to overtax PATA yet (with the possible exception of the 10000rpm Raptor drives). SATA is better for your case cooling airflow because of thinner cables.

Throw a floppy in if you can get one for free from a trashed PC but I wouldn't pay for it. I do BIOS updates from a bootable CD.

Comment

I'd strongly suggest that you learn about these products before you purchase. Each component is vital and a good pix of components is necessary.

CPU = Get an AMD64 San Diego 3700 1mb cache, or an X2. Do not get an FX-57 unless you know how it properly can be optimized. With an FX-57 you will be running a higher multiplier and FSB since you are paying the extra money for an FX series. If overclocking is not desired go for a more cookie cutter CPU (IE X2 or San Diego).

RAM = Get something that is FAST. 4x512 is NOT as fast as 2x1024 because you need to use 2T timings instead of 1T. I would suggest 2x1024 OCZ TCCD Ram

Power supply = Quality is always the best solution. Check your amperage as mentioned before on your rails. Also check to ensure you are getting a HIGH power rated PSU. Power DOES matter!

2x7800GTX's = Why? Seriously this is a total waste with the system you are building and also your experience level, no offense. I'd suggest one but not SLI at this point in time. You need to put your money elsewhere first.

Motherboard = DFI SLI-DR all the way! Again, if you are going to build the best use the best components. Abit / Asus are excellent motherboards, but, not the best for your extreme system.

More research and info = www.xtremesystems.org

Enjoy,
                Magik

Comment

I'd strongly suggest that you learn about these products before you purchase. Each component is vital and a good pix of components is necessary.

CPU = Get an AMD64 San Diego 3700 1mb cache, or an X2. Do not get an FX-57 unless you know how it properly can be optimized. With an FX-57 you will be running a higher multiplier and FSB since you are paying the extra money for an FX series. If overclocking is not desired go for a more cookie cutter CPU (IE X2 or San Diego).

RAM = Get something that is FAST. 4x512 is NOT as fast as 2x1024 because you need to use 2T timings instead of 1T. I would suggest 2x1024 OCZ TCCD Ram

Power supply = Quality is always the best solution. Check your amperage as mentioned before on your rails. Also check to ensure you are getting a HIGH power rated PSU. Power DOES matter!

2x7800GTX's = Why? Seriously this is a total waste with the system you are building and also your experience level, no offense. I'd suggest one but not SLI at this point in time. You need to put your money elsewhere first.

Motherboard = DFI SLI-DR all the way! Again, if you are going to build the best use the best components. Abit / Asus are excellent motherboards, but, not the best for your extreme system.

More research and info = www.xtremesystems.org

Enjoy,
                  Magik

Comment

PLEASE Kaine, shop newegg. I just had the pleasure of working with newegg with an RMA on a memory stick that fried. It took less than a week to send it in and get it back. And if you can't RMA with newegg, most of the products they sell have a manufacturers warranty. Its a guessing game if you buy off ebay.

You won't get **** for warranty if you buy on ebay, and the price savings is only marginal, if any at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Magik Empire
                      Dude... none of the dual core chips outperform the FX55 and FX57 chips yet... Since none of the software that's out there is written to run dual or even quad threads it's not even worth the money to dish out for dualcore processors...

Comment

get 2gigs of ram, 1gig isent enough unless you want to run medium settings on your two 7800 gtx's, you would need 2gigs on any video card(s) to run bf2 at high settings
                        well thats a lie, i run everything on high with 50 bots with one "vanilla" 6800 and two cpus at 3.4 and i still get around 60-80 fps. Did i mention i have 1 gig of DDR2 SDRAM at 500 MHz?

Comment

Originally posted by razor
                          THe Tsunami Dream Tower is the bomb, it was like 120 a yewar ago but now it droped in price, i love it.
                          Can't agree more. I love my Tsunami Dream, just don't get it with the PSU, it's not good enough. ANyways, i would RECOMEND, over 450w for a psu from a TRUSTED company. WIth +12v rail ratings of at least 24Amps, and dual +12v rails can't hurt. Two 7800GTXs for 1000 bucks from ebay. you could get two for like 900 bucks on newegg.com, and it has super fast shipping as well as the fact you know it's from a trusted reseller.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy01741
                            Can't agree more. I love my Tsunami Dream, just don't get it with the PSU, it's not good enough. ANyways, i would RECOMEND, over 450w for a psu from a TRUSTED company. WIth +12v rail ratings of at least 24Amps, and dual +12v rails can't hurt. Two 7800GTXs for 1000 bucks from ebay. you could get two for like 900 bucks on newegg.com, and it has super fast shipping as well as the fact you know it's from a trusted reseller.

agreed..

This christmas, im gonna get a 7800gtx, would get 2 but cant afford it, and well its not exactly nesesary.

Comment

Shopping Newegg is a much better choice than Ebay. Obviously for the option to return stuff no hastle, fast customer service, and great prices (although ebay can be cheaper, but not so much to drop the Newegg support) Other than that, you have a nice set up going...and I agree with the others, get an aftermarket PSU, it's not necessary but it will keep you're rig going longer.

Comment

Talk is cheap...

Comment

Working...
                                X