Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To all you graphics whores

Originally posted by Underpant
    Yes, it's cheaper, and can be faster. He's not going to need to upgrade any further, nor will he want to OC the ram, therefore, 4x512 would be the better choice.
    But then he would be stuck with a 2T command rate which is slower than 2x1GB

Comment

Originally posted by Underpant
      May I critique your choices?

Case- No, don't get a case with a built in PSU, for that rig you will need a better PSU. Make sure the PSU can handle SLI, ect. This is the most important part about your PC.
      RAM- Get 4 512 sticks, valueram, 40 bucks less and will run fine. Newegg.
      Hard Drive- Be a man and get a raptor. A raptor makes BF2 load so much faster.
      Sound Card- Shop Newegg
      Video cards- Shop Newegg

It sounds like you don't know what you're doing. Dont' buy PC parts off ebay, if you're dishing out that much money, buy from a reliable source that has warrenties, replacement and the whole 9 yards. Go newegg.
      Totaly agree .

Comment

Originally posted by Sniperdoc
        Dude... none of the dual core chips outperform the FX55 and FX57 chips yet... Since none of the software that's out there is written to run dual or even quad threads it's not even worth the money to dish out for dualcore processors...
        Dual core is here to stay, live with it. Remember that by the year 2007 almost 80% of CPU's will be dual core or greater..........hmmmm

-Magik

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi2155
          But then he would be stuck with a 2T command rate which is slower than 2x1GB
          Dude, it isn't going to make much difference, so LETIT GO!!

Get a 2 stick - 2 gig matched pak and be done with it!

Comment

I really woundn't buy that stuff from Ebay.....

Comment

Originally posted by kaine904
              i also run on a good old fashioned vanilla 5200 GeForce FX. This sucker has lasted me from bf1942 on low graphics, to Doom 3 on low graphics, to Far Cry on low graphics, to Half life Friggen 2 on low graphics. This baby runs EVERYTHING! -Kaine

I have a fx5200....runs everything....all be it on very low graphics , but i can get hl2 on medium graphics...but that might be cos i got a 256mb version of it . Need a upgrade tho...damn spawn lag :cry:, one of my m8s just got a 7800gtx from xfx aswel :cry:...and my pc2700 ram needs replacing, wait, my whole pc needs upgrading!

btw which would u think is better? a 6600gt or a 6800le???

Comment

Case- 480-Watt ATX Form Factor -$100
                This is no good, as everyone else here said, buy a good name brand. The PSU is usually the cause of unknown instability.

Processor- AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 -$850 from Ebay
                This is to much. For a fraction of that money, you can buy a processor that is almost as fast as the FX-57. Going all out on a CPU is a waste of money since they depreciate so fast. Buy yourself a AMD64 3200 and OC that.

Memory- Twin 1gb PC-3200 DDR -$200 from Ebay
                Buy the patriot XBLK kit if you are going to overclock (Samsung TCCD). I recommend 2 1gb sticks if you have your heart send on 2 gigs, 4 of 512 if you choose to overclock.

Video Card- Two 256mb GeForce 7800 GTXs - $1000 from EBAY!
                You can buy 2 7800 GTs for 660. You can take the money you save and spend it on more ram and a better HD maybe?

I hope that helps.
                Also, I know every1 has said it before but don't buy from ebay. Why bother?

Comment

Buy it all from Ebay!

I think buying FX-57 and 7800 GTX cards on ebay is a great idea! Please let me scrounge around the trash bins and see if I can find something I can clean up and put up a "new" link for you to buy.

Don't be stupid, Don't buy extremely expensive parts on Ebay, just not a smart idea (Warrenty, DOA, Refurbs, etc). But then again, you are probably smarter than I am

-Magik

Comment

You should buy a SATA HD for this system, it's a shame that this kind of system wil be put back by some old fasion IDE disc.

I am having a system update to this week, got the message from the webstore today my new gear is send.

System I am using now

Aopen motherboard
                    Intel pentium 4 3.2Ghz presscot (1Mb cache)
                    1.5 gig ram
                    X800pro 250Mb
                    2 x 80 Gb maxtor 8Mb buffer IDE

System it will become
                    ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard
                    AMD 64 4000+ san diego core (this is actualy the FX-53, but locked)
                    ASUS Gforce 7800GTX TOP (standard overclocked)
                    4 x 512Mb dual channel DDR RAM low latency from corsair
                    1 x 160 Gig SATA HD 8 Mb buffer from western digital
                    2 x 80 Mb IDE maxtor 8 Mb buffer

My guess is, when I OC the CPU a bit I should have the same 3Dmark score as a system with a standard 7800GTX with a FX-57 .

My personal opnion about the FX CPU's is that they are overpriced, because they know gamers spend tons of money in there system, for example, AMD launched the 4200+ san diego core (single core, not the X2 who is dual core) , this is actualy the FX-55, but it's locked , funny thing is, 4200+ is 400$ , and the FX-55 is about 750$ , just for the fact it's unlocked??? this is crap, it's just cheap marketing witch only costs the consumer money, and the most consumers just think the FX series is something different, but it's not, it's just a name

Comment

Originally posted by glasseye
                      4 sticks of 512 instead of 2x1024?

...he must've missed the part that mentioned athlon and nf4.

Get 2x1024. The 512s usually overclock better, but you get nailed on the timings. Most of the boards are handicapped when it comes to 4 sticks vs. 2.

I also don't understand the fascination with ebay. I'd rather get it new for the same money or less from somebody like newegg.

Comment

Just stopping in to also say dont buy CPU stuff from eBay.

Newegg > All.

Comment

To orginal poster.

Most everything you listed there is an improvement. However, NEWEGG.com all the way! They have excellent shipping and return policies! You can't beat em. I built my entire rig from newegg.com they are true to their word.

Comment

Originally posted by rombaft
                            You should buy a SATA HD for this system, it's a shame that this kind of system wil be put back by some old fasion IDE disc.
                            Again, a SATA drive (other than a Raptor) is no better than his existing 200GB drive. If he needed a new drive anyway I would say get SATA but it isn't worth it just to replace a perfectly good drive. Wait until you need more space and drive speeds have increased, then upgrade to SATA (and consider using RAID 0 if your motherboard has a controller).

I will also echo the call to use Newegg instead of ebay. Ebay is fine for old surpus hardware (e.g. good cheap SCSI controllers) but not good for current models of common items. You can frequently get hard drives and RAM cheaper from Newegg and Coast to Coast than you can on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by xRandoMx
                              ...he must've missed the part that mentioned athlon and nf4.

Get 2x1024. The 512s usually overclock better, but you get nailed on the timings. Most of the boards are handicapped when it comes to 4 sticks vs. 2.

I also don't understand the fascination with ebay. I'd rather get it new for the same money or less from somebody like newegg.

I was under the assumption that 2 sticks > 4 sticks for overclocking because of voltage issues, ie needing more to achieve stability. And of course the timing bottleneck. Not to mention when you are buying 4 sticks... versus 2, that's twice the chance for one of those sticks to be a dud. :hmm:

Comment

plus some mobo's dont support 4 sticks

my asus a7n8x-e deluxe has but 3 dimm slots
                                and yes listen to the majority buy your parts from online dealers not ebay not when you consider the amount you are going to invest you will end up saving oddles in shipping and handling and not to mention heart ache and pain with bad parts or ones that never show up

Comment

Working...
                                X