BF2142 Comes to an end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CannibalBob
    IMO BF2 and 2142 are revolutionary games. They offer the classic fast-paced FPS style of play present in FPS' of olde, as well as the strategic element of an RTS. Mixed with the sand-box style of play, and teamwork, BF2+2142 make a phenomenal series.

It would be a terrible shame if DICE and EA were to pretty much leave this game hanging with bugs, glitches, imbalance and so on. I believe that BF2 and 2142 have the potential to sit with the long-lasting LAN tournament games, such as Quake, Starcraft, Guild Wars, UT, Counter Strike and so on.

BF2+2142 are the types of games that really shine when played by experienced, competitive, professional gamers because the amount of teamwork, skill and strategy required to win is greater than other types of games.

I'm glad DICE is working hard on 1.4. I'm under the impression that they care, want to nail every single bug on the head and make sure everything is perfect. Future bugs/imbalances are highly likely so I hope they continue this patching trend.
    True, 2142 definitely has the potential to hang with those kinda of games (actually I find quake and CS too twitchy for me, not strategic enough), but only if all bugs are fixed, and new content comes out.

That's what we whould all hope, except it probably won't happen, future patches, thanks to EA.........:shakehead:

Comment

• My only real "issue" with this thread, when it comes an online game ending, is it's playability and the number of servers running it.
      I'll take Star Wars Battlefront as my example.
      In its heyday, when I first bought it late 04, there were about 50 populated servers, with about 80 listed. Now, on a good day, you might find 6 populated servers, with 20 listed.
      The fact that 2142 continues to run into the hundreds consistently, means it's not going away anytime in the near future.

Comment

• Originally posted by [DICE]CKMC
        Urg - toss me a PM with a reminder Balla

And yes pretty much everyone EA DICE side who was in the challenge wants more stabby time as well.
        OT
        I'm not having a go at Dice, but why reset players for playing knife servers then encourage knifing?

Comment

• They encouraged knifing because it was a knifing contest.
          A knifing server allows only knifing. Which is against the rules if it is a public, ranked server.

Comment

• But by encouraging knifing contests you encourage people to play on knifing servers even if it's only to practice.
            As for servers, surely thats down to admins to play as they see fit, after all they paid for it.
            I'm not here to argue, but it does strike me as hypocritical to deny knife servers and players, then have dag tag challenges.

Comment

• Originally posted by NKDeus View Post
              But by encouraging knifing contests you encourage people to play on knifing servers even if it's only to practice.
              As for servers, surely thats down to admins to play as they see fit, after all they paid for it.
              I'm not here to argue, but it does strike me as hypocritical to deny knife servers and players, then have dag tag challenges.
              i knife all the time and not once have i went into knife servers for tags. The dogtag challenge didnt encourage me one bit to go into knife servers. most of them are full of hackers and obviously padders anyhow. I did however find a dice guy on a knife server. i clicked the join in server from the buddy list and as it was loading i noticed the "knife only" bs so i promptly tapped the escape button twice to stop it loading.

and yes its down to the admins wether they choose to have knife only or kit restriced servers but then they are breaking the rules which many obviously do not read before purchasing a server.. unranked knife only servers are ok so im told but ranked ones are a no no.

Comment

• Originally posted by NKDeus View Post
                Wrong.

If the server is unranked, then you can do whatever you want.

But in ranked servers, you must follow BFROE, or else stat padding would be rampant and ranking up and unlocks would mean nothing.

People would never rank up the honest way basically.

More then half the servers would restrict something, and a totally vanilla game would be hard to find.

Comment

• BF2142 less good than BF2? Why?
                  BF2142 is more balanced in its way, simply because ground forces can finally defend themselves against war threats. I still hate planes from BF2, especially the J-10. I had no fun being killed endlessly by plane w...res.
                  And we finally have a chance to avoid claymores (APMs, if you prefer), and even to blow them. Arty stikes are also more balanced, imho, because instant death is less frequent. I see real improvements when comparting to BF2, and I'm sure that came because Dice listened to us.

IMHO, [u]if[/] BF2142 is dying, we can't blame EA or Dice for stopping to support the game. Dice never said there would be a second booster: they just said they didn't discard the idea, but they stated it wasn't in their current plans, when asked.
                  So many people screamed "fraud" when speaking about boosters, too. "Too expensive", "only 3 maps", "hell, no new unlocks", "Will not buy online, I want a cd", "will never buy because all this"...
                  Yet, I remember the idea of boosters came from the fact that they didn't split the BF2 community in the way Special Forces did. Who play Special Forces, nowadays? Either really not many, either I'm always unlucky, because each time I connected to check, I only found a very limited number of players.
                  And why wanting further patches if we come to a situation where everything is working as expected?

IMHO, BF2142 took many critics from the community into account.
                  And it ist not yet dying, but people want to try new things (and games) with time. It's just natural.

That's the basic problem with advantages/awarrds granted on basis of persistent stats: you'll get stat padders in every case.

This is why some games make the choice not to implement such rewards. Each choice had advantages and inconvenients, and each will please some players and disappoint others.

Honestly, I don't care about stats. It's a game, I play it to have a good time, and not to get virtual medals not woth a penny in real life. Better go for real life rewards.
                  So, I don't care about stat padders if they just go on their own server and don't affect game play on standard servers, even if I find stat padding lame (it's a waste of time).

Comment

• "IF" BF2142 comes to and end it will be because of all the hacking noobs in it now, EA nor PB does a damn thing to stop them. Hackers killd the entire BF games from 1942 to 2142, youd think EA/DICE/PB would learn somthing and hire people that can stop the hacking. now I know somones gonna say that thers very little hacking in 2142 let me tell you now YOUR WAY OFF!! Hackers, Glitchers,Stat padders ruind this game

Comment

• nothing last forever, eventually this game will be long gone....bf2 will die, the few stragglers on bfv and bf1942 will be broken.

some of us will be starting our careers, come of us thinking about retirment, some of us dead and some of us married but before that all happens I would like to say that I enjoyed playing with you guys and the battlefield series has been good to me.

so long and good night

Comment

• Psshah... I said in a post a couple months ago 2142 seemed dead, not really true anymore. It's been a couple months and I see an average of 10 less servers or so, and an upswing in NS. What a dramatic death, eh?

Seems it's carrying along well and you're all just being emo now. If you're gonna ***** about 2142 dying go play it more, get your friends to play, anything to make it not die as you say it is, rather than sitting here discussing it.

Comment

• my question is, why would 2142 or BF2 die because of no new content.. Look at games like Counter strike source, or Day of Defeat.. How long have they gone without content updates? And look how popular they still are.. Are you gonna sit here and tell me that CS:S is going to die because they haven't added a new gun or something in the past year?

Comment

• Originally posted by kr1kit
                            my question is, why would 2142 or BF2 die because of no new content.. Look at games like Counter strike source, or Day of Defeat.. How long have they gone without content updates? And look how popular they still are.. Are you gonna sit here and tell me that CS:S is going to die because they haven't added a new gun or something in the past year?
                            CSS is only alive because of immature 10 year olds and elitest a**holes.

Good point though.

Comment

• Yes, this game did have the balance like no other BF game but it took the cost of variety. Everyone here can't avoid the fact that this game gets pretty dull with the same vehicles, weapons (guns), and maps (color and detail)

Simply said, the game is fun at first but it gets boring unbelievably quick.

I hear ya on that one. Stopped playing because of boredom about may '07.
                              Not that its a bad game, its accually pretty good. Just lost interest. Same with BF2, although I tend to play ranked every now and then; mostly its the mods that get me to come back. FirstStrike FTW!!!!

This game isn't dying/fading at all. It was in the top 10 last month(either august or september) for PC sales. So who ever is saying that its dying is apparently ignorant of the facts--like so many.

Comment

• Some other games are extraordinarily long-lived because the have much more content than we do with BF2142. User created content has really extended the life and playibility of many popular FPS games. Mods will help BF2142 stay viable for many more years.

Comment

Working...
                                X