How are you upgrading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are you upgrading?

I decided rather than building a new system, I'd wait a year or so and just upgrade for BF3.

Here are my plans

GPU: Upgrade to GTX 550Ti from 8800GTS

CPU: Upgrade to Core 2 Quad @ 2.83 from Core 2 Duo @ 2.13

RAM: Upgrade to 6 GB Corsair DDR3 Dominators (not sure which one yet)

What do you guys think? This is being friendly to my budget and without upgrading to a new socket.

Re: How are you upgrading?

Mmmmmm...I dont know if your CPU would be the bottleneck with that GPU. The benefit with having the GTX550 would be that when/if you decide to build your system, you can just move it over. If you dont really plan to do that though, a lower card may suite your needs just as well.

I mean, its not a big deal and is a great jump from what you have now for sure, just something to look into. Maybe a GTX 4 series would be a better match for the system if you plan to keep it longer. Why put a 5 series in when you cant really use it all?

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I have a GF 430GT as a placeholder since my 7950GT broke down; with 4GB ddr2 ram and a c2d 3.0 Ghz I can play comfortably at 1440*900 with steady 30 fps even in heavy action, with setting on all medium and geometry at low. I could guess a 450 GT could improve your framerate drastically.

Comment

I just upgraded my video card to a GTX560Ti OC from MSI.

I do plan to upgrade throughout the rest of the year to a Sandybridge build, specific model yet to be determined, especially if prices go down or new models come out in the next few months. This is up from my Q6600 Core 2 Quad.

Probably 8GB of DDR3 RAM, up from my current 6GB of DDR2.

I'll probably stick with my current hard drives (maybe an extra one for good measure), sound card, peripherals.

Also will need to ugprade my motherboard, case and possibly my PSU just for added insurance though my 700W should be ok, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Comment

I might upgrade my 5770 if necessary but currently I can play everything I want very comfortably. I won't be buying it anytime soon anyway, new sound card + speakers set me back a bit.

Comment

Well ill look into a c2 extreme if I can find a good price. I may also OC. Are there any nicely priced 775 socket cpus that would tend to a 550ti better? I already have the card and can use it or sell it later.

Comment

new computer that I ordered at the start of march came at the end of march. So no need to upgrade it. I will be moving however in like September and dunno if machine will be coming with so may need to get a different one.

Comment

I'm not going to build one until Summer is about ending or around November of next year a la BF3.

Comment

Not upgrading until i see the port we are going to get.

high powered computer to run all those scripting and quick time events haha

Comment

I am not planning to upgrade.
                    My GFX card and memory are fine, the only oldtech is the CPU, a Phenom II X4 955
                    And while it is outclassed by modern CPUs. it isn't really taxed by the current games. I guess that's one benefit of having everything designed around the CPU power of consoles.

Comment

Are the core i7's good for gaming? As i have been looking to grab one of them when i do my upgrade. Or are these considered "old tech" now?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
                        Are the core i7's good for gaming? As i have been looking to grab one of them when i do my upgrade. Or are these considered "old tech" now?
                        Old tech? What else is there? I just went on new egg and i7 is as high as you can go on the Intel side.

I have an i7 and its great :awes 8 cores at 3.0jigawatts each.

Crunch
                        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

8 Cores is a little overkill. Or are you running virtual cores? Anyway, I plan on building a brand new computer 8gb ram, i7, 6950 biosed to 6970.

Comment

Im a little out of touch with all of the latest tech as my last upgrade was 2 years ago back when the 4870 was THE card to get

Glad to hear that the i7 is still the processor of choice

Comment

The intel i series are out with 2 generations now the ones listed at xxx (triple digts) are generation one and the ones listed as xxxx or xxxxk are second generation. I have an i5 2500K.

Comment

Working...
                              X