Should attack helis catch fire with 1 AT missile hit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should attack helis catch fire with 1 AT missile hit

Well? I feel that since it's usually tough to get an AT missile to connect on an orbiting attack heli that it should do more damage, like in the 90% range, meaning a full-health heli will be set on fire forcing the occupants to either go down with the ship or parachute out into the pack of wolves they were mercilessly pwning mere seconds before. I'm fine with transports taking multiple hits because they're bigger and slower, but seeing as how an attack heli's TV missile can kill any vehicle in one hit instantly from quite a ways off (and with much less effort than it takes to hit an attack heli with AT), wouldn't it be a fair trade-off to have a single AT missile at least set the chopper on fire?

Thoughts?

Re: Should attack helis catch fire with 1 AT missile hit

When you mean AT do you mean TOW or the handheld ones the anti tankers hold?

Comment

Yes, but a chopper should have different levels of damage depending on where they are hit. Tail and main rotor, one hit kill say, the rest 2 hits.

If the pilot is flying slow and low enough to get hit by AT, it's their own fault

Comment

Originally posted by Will
        When you mean AT do you mean TOW or the handheld ones the anti tankers hold?
        Handheld (SRAW/Eryx). They're already one hit with TOW emplacements, but since TOWs are few and far between, are static, and light up on jet HUDs when occupied, they have many disadvantages that a regular AT does not so IMO they should be more powerful.

Comment

This would cure many problems with heli-spawncamping.

Comment

Definitely. The AA isn't that effective and you can never find one when you need it. If someone can make the shot connect, they deserve to take out the chopper.

Originally posted by WolfAlmighty
            Handheld (SRAW/Eryx). They're already one hit with TOW emplacements, but since TOWs are few and far between, are static, and light up on jet HUDs when occupied, they have many disadvantages that a regular AT does not so IMO they should be more powerful.
            Do the TOWs really show up as boxes on the jet HUDs?

Comment

You'd have to make tanks and apcs practically one-hit kills too, to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
                Do the TOWs really show up as boxes on the jet HUDs?
                As far as I know they do. I don't think mounted MGs do but I'm almost positive TOWs do. I've been strafed by jets several times while using a TOW, but I guess that could just be my dumb luck.

Originally posted by Sloi sauce
                Why do you say that?

Comment

As far as I know they do. I don't think mounted MGs do but I'm almost positive TOWs do. I've been strafed by jets several times while using a TOW, but I guess that could just be my dumb luck.
                  They definetly do, remember seeing a TOW light up before i smoked the guy.

I think they should do enough damage to put the chopper in the red from full health (so if 90% in on fire, maybe 80-85). Because then if you have a decent team they can get a few rounds into the stricken chopper and get it down.

I thoroughly enjoy taking down Choppers with one hit from a TOW, doing it to a slightly damaged chopper with a SRAW would be just as plesent.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloi sauce

that would not be balanced. APC's and tanks can carry heavier armor. A helicopter is limited by weight thus the armor is not as strong as a tank or APC.

While DICE is at it can we get tank shell shots on the heli's to do more damage as well?

Comment

imho no, 2 hits is fair & fun if you pull it off, although the point about solving heli rape might be helped, death from everywhere gets nerfed :/

Comment

90% Damage sounds good.

Comment

AT should do a great deal of damage, if not more than 90%. If the heli pilot is dumb enough to hover in one place that's his fault, and if you do a skillful shot on a moving heli you should be rewarded for it.

Comment

Why do you say that?
                            Are you serious?

Because we wouldn't want to be hypocrites, encouraging double-standards simply because it suits our agendas.

Originally posted by Killerus
                            that would not be balanced. APC's and tanks can carry heavier armor. A helicopter is limited by weight thus the armor is not as strong as a tank or APC.

While DICE is at it can we get tank shell shots on the heli's to do more damage as well?
                            This isn't real life: it's a game... armored vehicles (and yes, this includes helicopters) are not and will never be on equal footing with infantry: I don't know why you fellas can't accept that.

Helicopters already have their plates full dealing with jets*, other attack helicopters**, tanks and APCs***, transport vehicles**** and AT kits.

* Assuming a decent pilot, we're f*cked.

** Our main concern... if a helicopter is circle-strafing your spawn location, either everything else has been taken care of, or it's not doing its job of neutralizing other assets: in the latter case, be thankful.

*** + **** You can already do massive damage with 50 cals, so when you add tanks and APCs in the mix, we have ourselves a swell f*cking party.

You guys b*tch about helicopters too much. Then again, it's been the same f*ckin' story since the Gulf of Oman demo days, so nothing's new there...

Comment

Sloi, be honest now, how do you really feel?

This would only effect one class. It's not like I'm suggesting people should be able to take down an attack heli with a burst from a G36E, I'm talking an AT missile, which is slow and hard to get to connect with a fast-moving small (relatively speaking) target such as a Cobra. Consider that attack helicopters can kill any vehicle in one shot from, what, 350m out? That's farther away than even AA vehicles can lock on to them. There was a helicopter pilot and gunner on a game of FuShe yesterday who was flying way high above our flag, so high that you could just make out the silhouette, periodically tipping the nose down and allowing the gunner to destroy our vehicles below. Our .50s couldn't even aim at that angle, and I'm fine with that (well, I'm fine with it within the context of this thread ), because there's no way I'd be able to hit him with an AT missile unless I got one hell of a lucky shot. My suggestion is that when a heli crew decides to fly low enough to get within AT range they should be penalised for it, and I don't just mean they should stop being able to rape for 10 seconds while they go back to repair.

Again, it's not like I'm suggesting a nerf to the cannons, the rockets, the overall armour, speed, maneuverability, or even the TV missile range, just the chance for a little retribution should someone be lucky enough to score an AT hit on one.

Comment

Working...
                              X