Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vehicles or not?

Originally posted by TheGameArtist
    Wut? So whats BF, Halo, farcry n all those games, first vehicle shooters? First ive heared :laugh:
    Urm.. FPVS?

Comment

Fail ^_^

Comment

Yes, I know, EPIC!

Comment

I guess I'll respond to the original topic when I say that I sincerely hope vehicles are not implemented in CoD:MW2. I've been with Call of Duty from the very beginning, and even before I was a competitive gamer like I am with CoD4, I realized that Call of Duty was designed for superior infantry combat.
          I've played my share of games, and I appreciate their differences. I like how Battlefield focuses on large scale infantry/vehicle battles, and how the open maps allow for that gameplay, and what I love about the Call of Duty series is that the infantry gameplay is top notch, and I believe that bringing vehicles into the mix just isn't a smart decision.

Take CoD:WaW for example, it was not nearly as much of a success as Call of Duty 4, and while much of that has to do with design flaws and overall lack of quality (granted, that's my opinion) I feel that the implementation of vehicles played a key role in its downfall.
          It would still be interesting if the developers gave modders the freedom and assistance with designing and implementing vehicles - but I think that's where vehicles belong in Call of Duty. Modifications change the core game to appease certain gamers, and the core game - at least for Call of Duty - should focus on the infantry aspect and not revolve around vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Defekt
            I guess I'll respond to the original topic when I say that I sincerely hope vehicles are not implemented in CoD:MW2. I've been with Call of Duty from the very beginning, and even before I was a competitive gamer like I am with CoD4, I realized that Call of Duty was designed for superior infantry combat.
            I've played my share of games, and I appreciate their differences. I like how Battlefield focuses on large scale infantry/vehicle battles, and how the open maps allow for that gameplay, and what I love about the Call of Duty series is that the infantry gameplay is top notch, and I believe that bringing vehicles into the mix just isn't a smart decision.

Take CoD:WaW for example, it was not nearly as much of a success as Call of Duty 4, and while much of that has to do with design flaws and overall lack of quality (granted, that's my opinion) I feel that the implementation of vehicles played a key role in its downfall.
            It would still be interesting if the developers gave modders the freedom and assistance with designing and implementing vehicles - but I think that's where vehicles belong in Call of Duty. Modifications change the core game to appease certain gamers, and the core game - at least for Call of Duty - should focus on the infantry aspect and not revolve around vehicles.
            Well that was one heck of a comment. That certainly changed my view of things...

Well I guess he's right, infantry for COD, but like I said, I don't see a "Call of Duty" prefix to this. So I wouldn't mind a BF2 with COD graphics and gameplay.

Comment

Why is the community so, defensive when I mention vehicles I usually get negative feedback. Why would it matter I'm sure there will be an vehicle server side option or infantry only, just like there is hardcore and softcore. Makes everyone happy.

Comment

I don't think I can agree with the vehicles part. If anything, vehicles brought more buyers to CODWW, especially those from the COD:UO days. There's only 4 maps with vehicles, and they're pretty easy to destroy, even as infantry. I don't think that's enough to drive away a lot of players.

IMO, CODWW's lesser popularity, some of which you mentioned, can mostly be attributed to:
                - skepticism of Treyarch from the COD3 days, that many gamers did not want to risk
                - less interest in WWII than Modern, esp for younger gamers
                - technical issues/bugs/audio/design flaws that generated bad PR
                - only 1 year after the release of COD4
                - it wasn't that different than COD4 (whereas COD4 was a huge change and got massive hype)

Originally posted by =)BiT(= Evant3k
                Why is the community so, defensive when I mention vehicles
                It's a touchy subject. Feelings are strong on both sides. People who love them, really love them. Those who have had bad experiences with them, totally despise them. And of course then there are the purists, who think a particular game franchise should always be a certain way, and never change/adapt with time.

There's no "right" answer, of course. But in games where they are included, I think the dev teams need to spend more time tweaking and balancing the vehicles, so that they're not overpowered.

Comment

Whiskey, I do agree with a lot of what you say - but CoD:WaW did receive a lot of purchases, it just didn't manage to remain popular. I do agree that UO was great with vehicles, but as I said, it wasn't one of the "core" Call of Duty games. It was fun, but the early Call of Duty's remained most popular with CoD and CoD2 - the games where competition flourished.

If the game continues heading in the direction of appeasing every forum poster who wants "fully customizeable weapons, vehicles, huge maps, etc." then the game will lose what makes it Call of Duty. As much as I praise Call of Duty 4, I can see what irritates players who come from older editions. Perks that make the game easier, awards for kill streaks - I understand that you need to implement new things to keep it interesting, but I think there are better ways to do it. Rather than do it by moving away from the infantry-oriented, skillful gameplay to vehicles and perks, fine-tune what makes the series great.

I'm trying not to tie in my other complaints with the vehicle subject, but the rationale behind disliking them is just too similar - and I feel that I speak for many when I say that implementing vehicles seems to be the wrong direction for the series.

Comment

CoD:WaW did receive a lot of purchases, it just didn't manage to remain popular.
                    It did, although curiously enough, we only ever saw news of the great UK sales, as far as I know. I don't recall anything about the North America scene. My gut says that sales in Europe were probably quite a bit better, due to their closer emotional attachment to WWII history.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier was that many players undoubtedly left the scene on PC because some of the fixes were slow in coming. They bought the game, but could've become frustrated. I would probably include much of the competitive community in this...many probably bought it, thinking it would be a mixture of COD4 and COD2, only to have the frustration of a lack of /record. This resulted in both fewer servers being run, and fewer players overall.

If the game continues heading in the direction of appeasing every forum poster who wants "fully customizeable weapons, vehicles, huge maps, etc." then the game will lose what makes it Call of Duty. It won't have that close quarters infantry-oriented gameplay - and while the game can still be fun even with vehicles, I just don't see Call of Duty being... Well, Call of Duty if it continues with implementing them.
                    Time does march on though, and things change. As I keep reminding people, this is a business, and a competitive market. Those in charge have to keep finding ways of broadening their user base. They see the popularity of games like the BF series, still after all these years, and need to find away to take some of those players away, possibly by implementing things like vehicles. And let's remember - there are options for server admins to run no-vehicles/etc if they want, so customization is there.

Like it or not, companies can't rely on the relatively small "core" user base from the past, those who don't want the game to change, to sell enough copies. Yes, they'll lose some of those players as they change, but they'll likely gain many more over the long-run by expanding their game and making it different (provided they do it carefully and maintain balance). They can't afford to be sentimental about the "good old days" of the game, like we players are.

Comment

I/O or Vehicles I will still destroy anyone, multiskill adapt or die that simple.

As I said in the past COD4 had potential until they decided not to use vehicles in multiplayer. It was still a fun game, managed to pull of a 2.3 K/D, but it could have been a more strategic game then just nade spamming infantry campers on small maps. I don't mind campers they are easy to find and kill with a well cooked nade.It's just all people do these days in COD4, especially when it's something different then S&D.

Comment

Although I voted no, if IW somehow managed to implement it correctly (which I think would extremely hard to do for a game CoD type game), I wouldn't mind it. However, if it it's the same as or similar to WaW, no.

I think that CoD4, no matter how unrealistic it was had a nice semi-realistic feel to it, and I think that vehicles would make the gameplay worse.

Comment

I/O or Vehicles I will still destroy anyone, multiskill adapt or die that simple.

As I said in the past COD4 had potential until they decided not to use vehicles in multiplayer. It was still a fun game, managed to pull of a 2.3 K/D, but it could have been a more strategic game then just nade spamming infantry campers on small maps. I don't mind campers they are easy to find and kill with a well cooked nade.It's just all people do these days in COD4, especially when it's something different then S&D.
                          Big tough macho man here, look out.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CrAzY eYeD cAt =^O.o^=
                              Lawl...

Comment

Lawl...
                                /offtopic
                                Please tell me that's airsoft. Because I don't see why they would let somebody that heavy into the military, yet their equipment is so proffesional. I've always wanted to be in a large dedicated airsoft group with all the same armor/equipment but different roles and guns.

Comment

Working...
                                X