• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: is 2142 your favorite FPS ever?

what is fios?

Comment

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHCsiAxZQQ4[/media]

Its "fiber optic server" and is supposed to be pretty fast internet...not my vid BTW just youtubed it

I did the test with my current internet and the download speed was 753 kbps and the upload was 137 kbps...Thats running it normal, if someone else is using another computer it would probable by 25% of that...test yours if your curious

Comment

Wow...I just checked and according to Verizon FiOS is available in my area. 'Course the good stuff is $64/month, but it's something to consider. Then again if I get it I can't blame my internet connection when I suck.

Comment

i have charter high speed but this makes me want to see if charter high speed max is available for me and how much it would cost. you know...so to be able to compete more easily with all of the players lol

Comment

LOL oh yeah, like you don't kick enough @$$ already, Field.

Comment

Originally posted by Abs0lute_Zero View Post
              I did the test with my current internet and the download speed was 753 kbps and the upload was 137 kbps...Thats running it normal, if someone else is using another computer it would probable by 25% of that...test yours if your curious
              I got fios today and redid the test...upload was 10393 and upload was 1851. I call that an improvent. I also went into a server (=SWAT=) where my ping is usually around 80-90, but instead it is now 15-20. :yay:

Comment

please let me know any gameplay differences you notice. this might influence my purchasing decisions.

Comment

Well he already did influence my decision (well, sort of). :thumbsup: I'm getting the following connection speed with Comcast on normal days:

although last night it was closer to what Zero posted, which is rare (and incidentally, I wasn't getting insta-killed by everyone and most of my shots were regging, until my video card overheated and shut down, giving me around 15-20 FPS :shakehead: ). I'm paying $56/month for Comcast service, and since 20/20 FiOS is less than $10 more I went ahead and ordered it last night. Supposedly they're going to install it for me on the 29th of this month, so we'll see. Knowing my luck they'll say something like, 'Oops, our computer made a mistake and it's not available to your house, lol pwned!'

We'll see... *crosses fingers*

Comment

Yeah its really fast, thats the best way i can put it. My hit reg seems to be a lot better...and its a lot easier to pick off people long range. MY major problem before however was that my ping would constantly spike in the hundreds and my game would lag like no other...now that wont happen. I give FiOS :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealWolfgang View Post
                      'Oops, our computer made a mistake and it's not available to your house, lol pwned!'

=*
                      laaaaawl yeah that would suk

wtf your gpu overheats? what gpu and computer case do you have?

Originally posted by Abs0lute_Zero View Post
                      I give FiOS :thumbsup::thumbsup:

so what exactly did they need to do to upgrade you to the faster internet connection? did someone need to come to your place and get all new modem and wiring? or was it just an external thing they do and nobody visits you?

also how long was it from the time you called and ordered it to the time you started using it?

Comment

With FiOS, you get a cable that is sent directly to your house. This is why (i think) it varies on times that they will give it to you after you purchase it. So they run a cable directly to your house, do the whole shibang...heres a better way of explaining it...

So yes they have to come and hook a bunch of stuff up. It takes a few hours but is pretty straight forward. Now i got a bunch more channels for TV too...pretty sweet deal...

Comment

For me, since I ordered online, they just showed me the next available installation date as being the 28th, and it said it would take around four hours. Then again I live about a quarter mile off of the main road so I was kind of surprised to see them say it was available to me, unless they plan on stringing a quarter mile of fibre optic cable (or my neighbours already have it). Which is why I'm cautiously optimistic about this whole thing...a quarter mile of fibre optic cable isn't cheap and they said there was no extra installation costs...

Originally posted by Field
                          wtf your gpu overheats? what gpu and computer case do you have?
                          Well it's just a standard 7800GTX I bought three years ago, but for the last month or so (probably longer now that I think about it) I've left the side panel on the case off because it rattles and irritates the $#!+ out of me. Looking at it now, though, I'm thinking that even though the openness of the case would provide a cooler temperature inside the unit, it also disperses the airflow too much and without the airflow inside the case provided by the case fan it's not allowing for adequate cooling on the GPU (which actually has its own fan as well). I've had problems with the card overheating before because the cooling fins can get clogged with dust and air never reaches the GPU, but to fix that I simply need to take the cover off the card and clean out the fins and it's good to go. I've checked and the fins at the moment aren't dusty at all and the card fan is working properly, so I'm thinking it has to be me leaving the case cover off that's causing poor air circulation. I've put the cover back on and I'll try it tonight and see if I can play without it overheating.

Overheating's a pain, too, because not only does it freeze me on the spot for a good 15-30 seconds while the video card disables some of the more power-hungry features, it also returns with a awful framerate (due to the aforementioned features being disabled). With no action I can still pull around 25-30 FPS, but if there are people in the area I'm usually around 20. If I'm fortunate (lol) enough to get caught in the middle of an EMP strike or orbital strike, It usually dips down to single-digit slideshow land. Still managed to rez my commander during that time, though, but forget being able to actually SHOOT anyone.

Comment

fios is what us in the telecom industry refer to as fttp or fttn. fiber to the premises/neighborhood. which is fiber all the way to your house or to a junction of some sort in your neighborhood. that is just verizons name for it. it means they've layed down the fiber already, so don't be surprised if you're not on any main road. hope it helps wolf. better pc might help too. but i'll be honest, i think the game played smoother for me when it first came out & i had a pc that would be 4-5 years old today. so i think a lot of the lag is ea related. a vid card upgrade certainly wouldn't hurt though. the prices are dropping like...like...oh man i can't say that on a public forum. but they're dropping nonetheless. hope to see you soon

Comment

Good to know, moose. Thanks.

And yeah, I think my video card has just about given up the ghost. Still gave me two freezes in-game just a few minutes ago; one after I'd been playing for about 15 minutes and then another one about 5 minutes after that. The first one broke down my FPS a bit, but not too bad, and the second one finished the job, bringing it to the 10-25 range. I guess I can't complain considering I'm on the computer all the time and the card has lasted me almost 3 years.

Unfortunately, money's a little tight at the moment so it'll probably be a little while before I can do anything with this rig. I plan on doing a complete overhaul when I do it, though, so I'll end up dropping about $1K - $1.5K into it, depending. Was kind of hoping this one was going to hold out until BF3 was announced at least, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Comment

what like another few years?

anyways i think i was going to reinstall my operating system because my fraps has stopped working and i have no idea why i've tried alot of stuff i wasnt sure how possible it actually was to overheat 1 of the cores on a c2d cpu or something wierd like that while doing a bunch of intenstive video stuff, that and its always nice to have the peace of mind that your computer is running as clean as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X