Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is 2142 your favorite FPS ever?

what do you love about 2142?

personally i feel it is possibly the best FPS ever. i've been playing video games since the 1970s and i've tried everything. lately it seems like FPS have branched in two directions: easy arcadey/noobfriendly games like tf2, and awesome graphics/vanilla gameplay like crysis and CoD4/5.

lost in this are the complex FPS that i loved from the 90s like the original QTF/Q2TF/Q3F where there were dozens of weapons and tactics and there was a serious learning curve. it seems like every game these days has a 1-hour learning curve.

2142 is not like that at all. i've got 1700 hours in the game and i'm far from a master at every vehicle and every weapon. i love how you can jump in and have fun from the first time but the more you play the more you learn and the more new stuff there is to try.

i am kind of depressed that 2142 hasn't caught on as big as other games like CS and even BF2. i hope that DICE/EA makes another 2142 with the same classes i've come to love. any game i play now without motion mines and squad beacons just seems broken

also other things i love:
    sound effects from stabbing or running someone over
    podding onto someone
    killing enemy gunship with TV-missile

i just want everyone to play this game, it's so great <3 <3 <3

Re: is 2142 your favorite FPS ever?

I too have been playing video games since they first appeared. Of all the games I have played in that time 2142 has to be the one I have played the most.

Couple of years ago a mate of mine told me about BF2 and I downloaded the demo but didn't really think much of it. Then I was house sharing for awhile with the same guy and we used to play BF2 over LAN cos I had a ****** to play the game. Great fun but when 2142 was released I bought it straight away. I have played roughly 60 days of the game and even though I don't own it anymore I think I will probably get it again in the future. I have never got bored of playing it - in fact I have many times uninstalled because I realised I was bordering on obsessive with it.

I have to say I don't play that many games anymore. Crysis was excellent - as was Warhead but Wars was dull. Far Cry 2 was junk. I only play the absolute cream of games now. I would really like to see 2142 2.0 - the thought of BF3 being another middle east, modern warfare thing bores the hell outta me.

Comment

what i love? the teamwork thats involved with it... most of the time. i love the furious gunfights on camp g, tunis and cerb....
      heck, after 5 months, i had to come back....

Comment

2142 isn't my favourite FPS but it's probably the one I've spent most time with. It's a brilliant game, I only wish it would have been made on a better engine (titan lag)

Originally posted by joe2 View Post
        easy arcadey/noobfriendly games like tf2
        Depends on what people you're playing it with. TF2 nocrit 6v6 is like the best thing ever.

Comment

BF2142 would've been my favorite FPS if it hadn't been for the people playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shurikane View Post
            BF2142 would've been my favorite FPS if it hadn't been for the people playing it.
            Too bad the same can be said about pretty much all games. You find a bunch of people you like to play with and stick with them. Otherwise you'll get bored after a while.

Comment

It's good, yes, but not my favourite FPS. It may be my favourite online FPS, but as far as FPS in general go (assuming you're including single player), I've played MoH:AA through countless times (in fact I'm due for another playthrough sometime soon methinks ), and sometimes I'll just load up FarCry and play it for hours on end. Deus Ex is probably my favourite game of all time, certainly my favourite PC game, but even though it handles and behaves FPS-ish, it's not really a twitch shooter like Unreal (another game I've played several times through) or Quake so I'm not sure if you'd lump it in with the 'FPS' genre.

As for online FPS, well, the only ones I've played have been BF:V, BF2, and BF2142, all of which I like in their own way. Of the three, I have the most playing time in BF2, but BF2142 is more balanced overall. BF:V is great fun but there's practically nobody playing it anymore and many of the features that were in BF2 (VoIP, squads, commo rose, etc.) I sorely miss when they're gone. 2142 is a lot of fun, though, and would be moreso if there were a greater variety of servers/maps being run. I do miss the EA official servers from BF2 and BF:V, though. Pity they never put any up for 2142. I'd even go back to playing Titan mode if I could find one that wasn't FF-off.

Comment

Deus Ex ranks up there in my top games too. Too bad it didn't catch on and they sent the sequel to console.

Comment

Originally posted by iQu'e View Post
                  Too bad the same can be said about pretty much all games. You find a bunch of people you like to play with and stick with them. Otherwise you'll get bored after a while.
                  Nah, it goes even deeper than that.

I'll reference TF2 (again!) On TF2, if I hop on some random server, chances are I'll end up with people who have some idea of what they are doing. You can quickly join into the teamwork, mount your attack, coordinate yourself and work for your team. If someone runs into a sentry gun, he'll either soldier/demoman and try to demolish it, or spawn as spy and try to circumvent it. If someone proposes a new strategy, most of the answers consist of "Let's give it a go!"

BF2142, on the other hand, has the most hostile and rabid online community I have seen in my life. Perfectly good strategies are condemned, competent commanders are crucified on the public plaza, and the majority of the players have zero clue of what they are doing. Set a sentry gun in one place and the exact same soldier will run into it again and again and again and again. If someone wants to try something new, players either blatantly refuse or just flat out ignore him. Hell, I once posted a short series of map overviews along with basic strategies and possibilities for each of them. Guess what: I got flamed to hell and back for doing this. I gave up after three maps because the threads all degenerated into flamewars and/or the majority of replies consisted of personal attacks against me for attempting to inject some sort of cohesion into a game. It's like no one wants to put up the marginal effort to be good, fair and square. The average soldier would much rather leech points as commander without doing anything and rush six-man squads head-on thanks to some twisted definition of fun that consists of Rambo-ing entire armies, dying miserably in the process and calling the entire enemy team a bunch of hackers.

Comment

BF2142, on the other hand, has the most hostile and rabid online community I have seen in my life. Perfectly good strategies are condemned, competent commanders are crucified on the public plaza, and the majority of the players have zero clue of what they are doing. Set a sentry gun in one place and the exact same soldier will run into it again and again and again and again. If someone wants to try something new, players either blatantly refuse or just flat out ignore him. Hell, I once posted a short series of map overviews along with basic strategies and possibilities for each of them. Guess what: I got flamed to hell and back for doing this. I gave up after three maps because the threads all degenerated into flamewars and/or the majority of replies consisted of personal attacks against me for attempting to inject some sort of cohesion into a game. It's like no one wants to put up the marginal effort to be good, fair and square. The average soldier would much rather leech points as commander without doing anything and rush six-man squads head-on thanks to some twisted definition of fun that consists of Rambo-ing entire armies, dying miserably in the process and calling the entire enemy team a bunch of hackers.
                    that is precisely why i stick to TG servers...

Comment

I love BF2142; it's one of the best FPS games ever, probably in the top 3 for me.

However, you honestly can't think TF2 is that noobfriendly. Some of the classes are easy to get by with (heavy, sniper, etc) but others take a lot of skill to be decent with (spy and pyro, for example).

Plus, any game is more fun when you're playing with a lot of friends (like an entire TGN team on a TF2 server. )

Comment

The problem may stem from stats that focus more on personal effort than on team effort. So most people care more about their 1337ness and pwning everyone than they do about winning a round as a team. Even the awards that reward teamwork are too shallow imo (pod drops, # of teamwork points which can be from spamming ammo/medic hub or rezzing whole round, or simply not accidentally shooting anyone on your team for the whole round)

Comment

The average soldier would much rather leech points as commander without doing anything and rush six-man squads head-on thanks to some twisted definition of fun that consists of Rambo-ing entire armies, dying miserably in the process and calling the entire enemy team a bunch of hackers.
                          HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks for that. Personally I have never played any game as much as 2142, it's enjoyable every time I play. But there are some incredible jerks playing, like no other game I have ever played. I think it is the awards/stats/unlocks system which causes it. There is no doubt acquiring unlocks, gaining rank, achieving badges is what keeps up my interest, but it is also the reason you see 6 guys fighting over a gunship when the enemy is busy blowing up consoles unopposed. I have been knifed by my own teammates for control of the gunship, or even once because all 4 Titan guns were occupied and I guess someone couldn't wait. I have been accused of hacking for using the shotgun for one-shot kills to the head (why do I need an aimbot when you are standing right in front of me fiddling with RDX?) The number of times I have seen guys performing completely useless actions in the endless quest for awards.......

DD.

Comment

Best BF game imo, followed closely by BF:V. as for best fps it's hard to compare a multiplayer game with single player games, but i've always been a big fan of the BF franchise so i'll just say BF series are my favorite fps games.

Comment

I've played all the BF series and I've enjoyed the balance and squad play in Bf2142 more than any other. It's been a year since I've played it last, but perhaps next year I'll break it out again. The exploits, tards and lack of new content killed it for me.

I'm strictly modding my own BF2 single player game now and that's pretty entertaining. Along with what others have said above, I just don't play as much as I used to.

It got hard to find a good game with good team players so I moved on and now I've lost most of my desire to play MP. That, and I'm going to the dark side... there's a Wii with all the accessories under my Christmas tree...

There's only going to be a couple of years for me to pwn my kids before they start pwning back and it's all over for Dad. I better get started. =)

So, my vote is "yes" ... even though I'm playing BF2.

Comment

Working...
                              X