No announcement yet.

Call of Duty 5 Confirmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd also pay as long as the content kept coming.

Also, rumor control has it that IW is not slated to develop CoD5...

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey View Post
      Hard to say...but if that monthly fee went toward game support, constant updates, new content, etc, etc...then it might be worth it, depending on the cost.

Honestly, a lot of PC users expect developers to keep doing this long-term (ie. not just early fixes, but ongoing tweaks, new maps, new modes, etc) for free, which just isn't realistic. When a game is good and you play for hundreds of hours, then the value you get in terms of $/hr is terrific for the basic game (eg. if you pay $50 for the game, and you play for 500 hrs, that's entertainment for 10 cents/hr). If a small fee is applied to prolong it even further, then I'd be interested in the details.
      Yes, in theory it'd be nice to be assured content forever, but what if none comes? I, for one, wouldn't trust EA with something like this, not with the way they drop support or mess up all the BF games. Who knows? Maybe you have to pay for all this content in a monthly fee, but nothing comes.

Blizzard I'd trust, but they need their WoW money for servers, the content is jut extra, though I'm sure not all that $15 goes to servers. FPS games don't have servers owned by the publisher. If there was a fee I'd want a set outline of new content. But, who knows if the content is good? Sure it is guaranteed to be there now, but they may just lay an egg. And if there's an outline and they know what they're going to add, wouldn't they have put it in the release?

Also, couldn't developers come up with ideas for things in the game, but them keep them out so they can be paid to put them in later to keep people paying the fee?

It's too exploitable and I can see it getting corrupt real quick. Monthly fees just don't fit this genre. Expansion packs are a good way of implementing updates for money, but then you have a divided community, even if it's just like 2142 and NS, where they can be together, but only at certain maps, and those with money get more content, hence an advantage. FPS only work with a base cost and a good developer. I'd pay double the price of CoD4 if I knew IW will keep putting out good patches in a timely manner like they have so far. Many would. It's simple, it's worked for years, why go messing things up with monthly fees?

Comment

Originally posted by Ozendorph View Post
        Planetside was a pay-to-play FPS. (Sony Online Entertainment) It was kinda fun, ever so briefly.
        PS was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDesert_Fox
          Yes, in theory it'd be nice to be assured content forever, but what if none comes?
          That's part of it...and as you say, it would be a big change to FPS gaming. If such a move were made, then they would have to lay out expectations - what they would provide for such a fee. The servers you mention is interesting...would game companies use fees to run servers, and clans not having to go through GSP's? Perhaps money would be put toward effective and aggressive new forms of anti-cheat?

There's a lot of "if's", and perhaps would not even work in the FPS genre. If they ever did go that route, they would certainly have to ante-up quite a bit for the consumer to buy-in, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey
            That's part of it...and as you say, it would be a big change to FPS gaming. If such a move were made, then they would have to lay out expectations
            Thing is, if you lay out expectations, you already know what's coming, they already know what they're going to do, why isn't the game just on a delayed release until they add all that in and raise the price?

Having an organized server layout and anti-cheat... now that might be worth a bit of money monthly. As long as they still allowed people to rent or run their own servers.

Comment

You guys remember a few months back when EA announced new Battlefield series development? You remember what they said? Two new titles, Battlefield for Macintosh and Battlefield for the Korean market.

You guys know that the Koreans have embraced online gaming as no other culture has. WoW is a national pastime there. They play ONLINE games.

I submit to you that we should expect there to be a revolution coming in FPS gaming which will bring us Battlefield Online... after it is developed in Korea first. They will be the test market for the rest of the world.

Hardware and networking advances are going to make this possible in just a few years.

What do you think?

Comment

Don't mess with Koreans and Starcraft.

Comment

Originally posted by FIC | Spitfire View Post
                  What they should do, and would be insanely awesome and epic... would be the Cold War turned hot.

What if the thousands of hundreds of Soviet Tanks rolled into Western Germany?

What if a real big time invasion of Cuba came to be? (not the Bay Of Pigs invasion btw, a real all out Marines amphib operation.)

What if, what if, what if... the storytellers over at IW would have a field day with this idea.

I can just imagine a scene as you playing as American Infantry lined up with Anti-tank missiles, with M1's at your side, facing out to a smoke covered, shelled landscape. You've got air support at the ready... and Apaches hovering in the air behind, already firing of Hellfires. When Russian T80's, and BMP's come bursting through the smoke cover...

Amazing. :nod:
                  ...Wow...too much HISTORY CHANNEL.......

Would be nice all that staff....

Comment

Originally posted by alex98uk
                    um... i don't think CoD4 really affected EA's revenue from BF2 sales. the only people who really buy BF2 now are those who already have it (lost cd-key etc..), and maybe a few who see it in shops.

The main stage for sales has been and passed.
                    Did I specify BF2?
                    Don't ban me! I was just being a smartass, sorry.

It was a joke, I don't like EA much (Yes, I know they produce a ton of games I do like, but their image to me is ruined)

Comment

Originally posted by SonicPixel View Post
                      I'd also pay as long as the content kept coming.

Also, rumor control has it that IW is not slated to develop CoD5...
                      Only IW can make the CoD games IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator View Post
                        Only IW can make the CoD games IMO.
                        Only if...

Comment

I just want CoD5 to have something new, i dont want sand, brown buildings and the same old guns.

Comment

Originally posted by alex98uk
                            um... i don't think CoD4 really affected EA's revenue from BF2 sales. the only people who really buy BF2 now are those who already have it (lost cd-key etc..), and maybe a few who see it in shops.
                            And for the ones that want to play Forgotten Hope 2 and Project Reality; generally all the BF2 mods.

Comment

Call of Duty 5 : The Search for Diablo

The Battle against the undead, demons and monstrasities in the catacombs underneath a church somewhere in a small village continue. An RPG/FPS like you've never seen before. Battle your foes with modern weapons and forgotten magic spells in search for, yet again ... the Lord of Terror himself ...

*sign*

... i need to stop drinkin and doin drugs ... (personal note)

Comment

Originally posted by SonicPixel View Post
                                You guys remember a few months back when EA announced new Battlefield series development? You remember what they said? Two new titles, Battlefield for Macintosh and Battlefield for the Korean market.

You guys know that the Koreans have embraced online gaming as no other culture has. WoW is a national pastime there. They play ONLINE games.

I submit to you that we should expect there to be a revolution coming in FPS gaming which will bring us Battlefield Online... after it is developed in Korea first. They will be the test market for the rest of the world.

Hardware and networking advances are going to make this possible in just a few years.

What do you think?
                                I think its a nice idea but when you consider you can live out a whole other life in any MMO which costs a monthly fee, Im uncertain as to the value for money a FPS would provide. It's going to have to be persistent for a start, which Im wondering how they will achieve, not in terms of technology, but of gameplay.

Comment

Working...
                                X