Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The reason 1.4 .is delayed??

Originally posted by VT Nerd
    It doesn't say anything about BF2 so I'm not sure what this has to do with 1.4 patch being delayed besides being pure speculation (and I think there is already way too much of that going around).

But yeah they better do it well (and hopefully with an option to turn it off) without adding any lag into 2142. I don't want lag spikes b/c some holographic Coke video starts playing next to my character or something.
    if there was an option to turn it off, I bet it would be pretty difficult to find customers to sell the ad space to, so I think there will be no option

Comment

A holographic coke video would drain your system no more than a 3D animation of a burning car.. lol.

Again with the over-reaction and speculation. lol.

The things we choose to get upset over astound me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap`N Hagen
        Sorry 4 stealin your thread gh0st. Must have missed it,first I heard of it. Theinquirer must be slow this week.
        That's okay dude, I'm not pissed or anything, in fact, I got my financial aid today so I'm probably the happiest mofo online right now

Comment

Consultant01 no ones saying EA shouldn't make money but they go about it the wrong way, all they wish to do is make as much money as possible with no care about there product, customers or even there employees.

Comment

Originally posted by Consultant01
            Tivo is changing things... I will grant you that... but the concept and the reality is the same.

EA has as much right to put a Pizza Hut ad on the side of a bus in a city map in BF2 as ABC does to play a Pizza Hut commercial during the Super Bowl.

You can "opt out" of the in-game ads by not stopping at each one and staring at it.

Or hell, drop C4 on it and cover it in a nice layer of black soot.
            Those types of ads wouldn`t really bother me, I kinda liked the billboard for Dice Cream The article states "streaming ads". That scares me.Like VT Nerd says, "But yeah they better do it well (and hopefully with an option to turn it off) without adding any lag into 2142."

Comment

Tivo is changing things... I will grant you that... but the concept and the reality is the same.

EA has as much right to put a Pizza Hut ad on the side of a bus in a city map in BF2 as ABC does to play a Pizza Hut commercial during the Super Bowl.

You can "opt out" of the in-game ads by not stopping at each one and staring at it.

Or hell, drop C4 on it and cover it in a nice layer of black soot.
              Man, what crawled up your A$$ and died? Geez, give it a break. We all know what advertising is. We have the right to complain about it. We complain about TV commercials, radio adds,... well, basicly everything. What stirs up the BF community is that in-game advertising is relatively new, and not welcome. Doesn't mean we'll stop it, just get used to it.

Comment

I see advertisements on TV and radio because no one pays to watch there channel we payed for BF2 and people are going to pay for 2142 the least they could do is keep it ad free.

Comment

A holographic coke video would drain your system no more than a 3D animation of a burning car.. lol.

Again with the over-reaction and speculation. lol.

The things we choose to get upset over astound me.
                  Man, you should spend a week with me then. Youd be right stumped.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Eden
                    Consultant01 no ones saying EA shouldn't make money but they go about it the wrong way, all they wish to do is make as much money as possible with no care about there product, customers or even there employees.
                    This is getting absolutely retarded.

Can you please explain how EA doesn't care about it's employees? I'm quite curious.

Comment

Not needed, be nice, you have been warned

Comment

I see advertisements on TV and radio because no one pays to watch there channel we payed for BF2 and people are going to pay for 2142 the least they could do is keep it ad free.
                        Ever heard of product placement? Ever watched a televised sports game? There are ads everywhere.

Whether you realize it or not is another matter.

Also, what the hell are you talking about 'no one pays to watch there channels'? Do you have free cable where you live?

Comment

oh come on! What would be the "right way" then?

OK, fine... BF2142 will be advertisement free, but to replace that lost income there will be a $5 a month subscription fee.

Thank you, come again!

A few years ago, some EA crybaby programmer or a spouse of one wrote some article about how they are abused and over-worked. Cry me a river.

Here in America we have the Fair Labor Standards Act which outlines how many hours an "Exempt" employee can work versus a "non-exempt" employee and also governs how overtime works. Computer Programers are EXEMPT from FLSA 99% of the time which means they are expected to and called upon to work insane hours as long as they tollerate it.

If EA was so bad to their employees they wouldnt have those hundreds of applications on file, nor would they be opening additional programming "campuses" around the country/world. Maybe the turnover is high... I havent studied their HR function, but I can attest to their market presence that they arent hurting for programmers.

That about covers the allegedly ill-treated employees of EA...

As for the customers, please go read the EULA you so casually agreed to and read me the part where they promise that the game will work... read me the part where they promise to support it with patches.

Oh wait... they never say any of that stuff.

I'm really coming off as an EA apologist here, and that isnt my intent... rather I am trying to help people think beyond themselves and actually INVESTIGATE these issues without making such ridiculous attention-grabbing, sensationalist commentaries.

Man... you're killing me.

When ya pay for your cable every month, that cost is spread over all the channels. I dont know how it works where you live... but I pay for every channel on my screen except the 4 major networks. ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX. I could watch those with a simple antenna.

Of my 168 channels all of them have some form of advertising and I pay to watch all of them as a part of my cable package.

Even PBS (Public Broadcasting) has pledge drives a few times a year since they are directly viewer supported.

Comment

Originally posted by scknight
                            if there was an option to turn it off, I bet it would be pretty difficult to find customers to sell the ad space to, so I think there will be no option
                            Perhaps. I watch commercials on TV even though I could change the channel though. Heck, if the advertisements were well done I wouldn't mind leaving them on. The only times I'd demand an option to turn them off would be: EA goes overboard and covers all textures in the advertisements or the advertisements are done in such a way that it kills my ping or creates lag on my computer.

As long as I can walk away from the ad and still play the game without any additional problems, then fine with me. If their quest for more money makes the game suck, then there'll be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Skwurl
                              This is getting absolutely retarded.

Can you please explain how EA doesn't care about it's employees? I'm quite curious.
                              Google is filled with ex-EA employee horror story's, there under payed, over worked and completely unappreciated. I thought this was common knowledge heck its even been in the news.

Comment

The free TV channels here in the uk have advertisements, as it is one of their main sources of income. You pay a licence fee to the BBC, and they do not advertise, and neither do the majority of the channels on satellite.
                                All junk mail (more advertising) can be stopped by writing to the company who sent it, or a main body in the royal mail as far as I am aware, who are able to stop all junk mail if it is not specifically addressed to yourself. Similar for email spam too, I don't know all the details but you should be able to stop spam if you want to.
                                We cannot stop billboards, but you would not tolerate a billboard advertisement in your house would you?
                                I do not like advertising to be forced down my throat, if i need a product or service I will do my research when the time arises. It also seems that there are laws, if the person does not wish to receive advertisements they have every right to have them stopped.

I feel it should be the same for games, if you want to stream advertisements while loading or changing menus, then start dishing out free copies. I do not have the same problem though with an odd coke machine, or GM pickup scattered around maps as long as it is in keeping with the setting of the game. I just have horrible images of 5 minutes of advertising before logging into a server, although I doubt it would come to it

Comment

Working...
                                X