The reason 1.4 .is delayed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The reason 1.4 .is delayed??

So where am I gonna find that "Dice Cream"???

Comment

Streaming ads are going to rely on bandwidth (of some degree) to work. Well, until you pay MY internet connection fees, you can keep your advertising. Static advertisements do not bother me, they are part of the resources, but streaming ones will need to be sent to my client...MY BANDWIDTH.

So I am going to skip 2142 (again). Lets see, 2142 is a glorified mod of the game I already own. 2142 is already being hacked, like the game I already own. 2142 has bugs and playability issues (as in, not being able to sustainedly play), like the game I already own. And now you want to sacrifice some of it's bandwidth for more profit? Yeah, okay, not MY money."

Wit that said, I do love BF2 - when it actually works. Sad I have to add that last bit.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlaz0r
        reading this thread is like watching a retard trying to have sex with a doorknob.
        haha.

Comment

Consultant01...dude, give it a break already. WE GOT THE POINT. Now let it go. Geesh. You go on and on.

Comment

No 2142 on my machine, no advertising during gaming and no problem.

I dont mind historical advertising in COD or easter eggs here and there.

Comment

Ha must suck in the US, we pay for BBC channels which are ad free the rest are all free and paid mainly by ads.

Comment

FINALLY a logical argument against the ads.

Bandwidth.

What right does anybody have to advertise on your computer screen using your bandwidth?

oh.... uh oh...

look at that banner ad up top there. advertising myinternetservices and their server hosting.

How about MSN.com. oh. An ad for Lincoln automobiles (Using my bandwidth!)

Ok ok... I dont pay for MSN.

Lets see.

Comcast.net. I pay for my internet service through them and get my email there. Surely since I pay for this service they wouldnt be so bold as to display an ad using my bandwidth. Lets just double check. *click* *click*c o m c a s t . n e t *enter*

What in the blue blazes is that?! An ad for a MORTGAGE COMPANY?! I'm outrated!

no, hang on.

That's just the way the world is.

Originally posted by Sir. Eden
                Ha must suck in the US, we pay for BBC channels which are ad free the rest are all free and paid mainly by ads.
                You also pay like 100 pounds a year in taxes to own your TV, don't you? (I read that somewhere, don't quote me) It is clear that I dont understand Brittish tax laws. Im reading on Wikipedia right now.

Interseting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Eden
                  ha must suck in scotland, we don't have to pay for a tv licence every year. we can have all the tvs we want.

Comment

Originally posted by Consultant01
                    oh come on! What would be the "right way" then?

OK, fine... BF2142 will be advertisement free, but to replace that lost income there will be a $5 a month subscription fee.

Thank you, come again!

A few years ago, some EA crybaby programmer or a spouse of one wrote some article about how they are abused and over-worked. Cry me a river.

Here in America we have the Fair Labor Standards Act which outlines how many hours an "Exempt" employee can work versus a "non-exempt" employee and also governs how overtime works. Computer Programers are EXEMPT from FLSA 99% of the time which means they are expected to and called upon to work insane hours as long as they tollerate it.

If EA was so bad to their employees they wouldnt have those hundreds of applications on file, nor would they be opening additional programming "campuses" around the country/world. Maybe the turnover is high... I havent studied their HR function, but I can attest to their market presence that they arent hurting for programmers.

That about covers the allegedly ill-treated employees of EA...

As for the customers, please go read the EULA you so casually agreed to and read me the part where they promise that the game will work... read me the part where they promise to support it with patches.

Oh wait... they never say any of that stuff.

I'm really coming off as an EA apologist here, and that isnt my intent... rather I am trying to help people think beyond themselves and actually INVESTIGATE these issues without making such ridiculous attention-grabbing, sensationalist commentaries.

Man... you're killing me.

When ya pay for your cable every month, that cost is spread over all the channels. I dont know how it works where you live... but I pay for every channel on my screen except the 4 major networks. ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX. I could watch those with a simple antenna.

Of my 168 channels all of them have some form of advertising and I pay to watch all of them as a part of my cable package.

Even PBS (Public Broadcasting) has pledge drives a few times a year since they are directly viewer supported.
                    Ok here's an example of how a company can make honest money.

They provide a good service and or good product which they maintain and support. As a result of this large numbers of people buy their products and they make large sums of money.

Sadly modern buisness often does not work this way, companys use every possible method to squeeze as much money out a product as possible. This means you dont support products if you think support is detrimental to proffit, you insert adds bilboards whatever even if this adds lag to gameplay and detracts from the atmosphere of the game, you cut corners on the games themselves realising to soon, reselling exsisting games (that barely qualify as glorified mods) as new and charge full price. You get good
                    pr people who can with the art of words pull a hood of your eyes so you dont realize that your getting screwed.

Who's to blame for all this? Well the companies who simply exploit any means available to bamboozle the customer are to blame of course.

But more importantly YOU the consumer it is YOUR FAULT if you dont like the way that a company is operating you have a fundemental obligation to not support that company.

Everyone who bought euro forces, armored fury, and plans to but 2142 YOU are to blame. The purchase of these products sends EA the message that screwing the customer is the way to go.

So anyone who is complaining about this stuff. Did you buy the boosters? Do you plan on buying 2142? Then it's your fault so stfu.

Comment

Consultant, you make some good points but the fact is people have a right to complain. Advertising is a part of daily life but anytime it is introduced into new modes people should and do complain.

Just because something IS happening doesn't mean it SHOULD...

BTW I heard the Pepsi Co. is trying to make one wall in every house wallpaperd with an AD.......Oh well they have that right huh?

Comment

a few in-game billboards are fine... but that should be it.

Comment

Being advertisement free is surely a right of every human alive. Choosing to surround ourselves with media is our choice and it is natural for advertisers to seek to gain entry into our lives so they buy time on TV and "space" on the internet.

I agree, we all have the right to not be pestered with advertisements, but the media (print, television, internet, etc) is funded by these advertisers so it's a package deal.

I also agree that people have a right to complain. Totally. But what bothers me is one-sided ignorance.

"They have no right to put ads in our games!" is an ignorant statement and if you allow somebody to continue their ignorance and dont provide logical counter-points which could help them see things a different way, then you are part of the problem.

I say what I say, not because I'm on EA's payroll, or a capitalist pig... I say it because I feel that allowing some of you to go on blindly spewing hate for "the man" is a disservice.

Comment

My concern: This is EA we are talking about. Will the revenue stream this will generate be put back into the specific product that it is being advertised on? I have little faith that EA will pull this off right. We are not getting more free ranked servers out of this deal.

Granted, it is still very early for us to start picking on EA about a news headline. EA has yet to define to the community what their future intentions are with this new direction.

Personally, I am hoping to God that they don't get with Punkbuster and screw with us if we have a firewall or third party software that scrubs the data stream for ads. I can easily see something stripping the textures that come over the wire of images and replace it with a flat tan image that has the same size and file name as the one that should be put onto the game. Hell, you might even be able to get around any MD5 security they could encapsulate the image in.

If I knew for a fact that this is really, really going to benefit the gaming community with cheaper games, lower cost ranked servers, free add-ons and free maps...maybe I would be on board. But I know that I am going to look over at CNBC in a couple months and see that the shareholders are going to be the ones making the money off the advertising and the community that has purchased and support the products are going to get the same crap.

Comment

Its just EA/DICE showing how greedy they can be.
                              They charge for every map or weapon they make for a game when other companys release that stuff free in patches.

If EA pays for the servers console games play on, they should just put the ad's on console games and leave PC games alone.
                              The only other thing they could do is put them in demos or betas.

The only thing we can do is just not buy the product with the ads in it to show EA and DICE we don't want it in our games.
                              We could do a petition but i dont think DICE will listen to us, they never listen to us so why should they start now?

We ask DICE to allow us to mute and change the volume of radio chatter in BF2, did they listen to us hell no.
                              We asked them to balance the jets in BF2, did they listen to us then?
                              (it would require us to actually fix something so it will never happen)

Comment

Don't go blaming Dice, there the unfortunate ones, as soon as BF looses its appeal or EA buys another company Dice will be liquidated just like the many other company's out there were.

Comment

Working...
                                X