Got sick using VR yesterday, nearly threw up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got sick using VR yesterday, nearly threw up

I noticed the other day that there was one of those 7D CINEMAS (they can't come up with more D's) with an all movement, water, wind feel etc etc stuf...
    But in this one they where using oculus rift DK2 for every seat, instead of a screen in front of you, so you could actually look around, and that got me interested.

Out of curiosity I went there to try it out (I just can't wait to have consumer level VR), and the guy recomended this movie wich was essentialy "driving" a motorbike around in a manner that felt like a rollercoaster.

In the beggining of the movie it was all cool, had a very similar feeling as if I was riding a rollercoaster as the bike would slowly go up some crazy hills in a canyon and then downhill down making jumps over massive holes and canyons. Then there were some very cool 3d effects (Like arrows being shot at you, or other obstacles coming close to your face (and clipping through it), that actually felt like something was comming at you (besides the clipping through your face)

But halfway though it I started to feel it, (movie was like 7 minutes). I don't usually get sick when I drive boats or go on long car drives, but the sudden forced camera panning moves of my prespective (while it allowed you to freely look around, it would sometimes forcefully shift your prespective to show what was most "relevant"[like nearly all FPS videogames do], and everytime it did that I felt worse and worse. I felt like I would take off the rift mid-way through the movie but eventually it was over and I dealt with it.
    I did tell the guy that the thing caused some serious nausea, and told me he felt the same way too. WEll.... OK.

Just to say that these early VR Movies haven't clearly been created nor optimized for a normal human experience, and are trying to be way too over the top to impress actually causing the oposite feeling.
    I don't think VR shouldnt be used for fast games or fast moving scenes, I just think that if you don't do it properly, like introducing these unnatural camera movements to it, then it's not going to work very well.
    I mostly felt like sharing this because previously K-16 told me he easily felt sick in VR, and while I tried it before for a few minutes I didn't have any issue, I must say that now, after actually feeling it myself, I understand why the VR and sickness/nausea problem is so big. Damn, I was still feeling sick for some good 5 hours after those 7minutes use of the rift.
    Last edited by jimykx; 02-21-2016, 07:03 AM.

It's the fact that in a virtual environment, you cannot have "camera" control taken away from the viewer, at least not in the middle of the whatever it is you're trying to demonstrate. That's where the problem is. If that bit didn't exist, I'm willing to bet it wouldn't have been an issue. It sounds like the motion of the scene was still moving forward while the camera looked to either the left or the right. You probably even tried to jerk your head back towards the direction you were moving just out of instinct.

Yeah, that's never good.

Hopefully game developers realize this and don't make these mistakes. I see it being a problem with some early VR games though once developers start to try inserting their cinematic set pieces that you absolutely "must" see.

Comment

Yep, spot on! I think that when they did these movies they where more preocupied in slapping as many crazyness and michael-bayish moments as they could instead of creating a bearable experience.
      It's like they didn't even try to watch it before they released it. They where most likely like the guy who was running the place "yeah, I get sick too, but it was rad, so other people will like it".

I'm really curious about the similar types of issues that will surface in the next few months with the first few VR titles and headsets. It will be interesting to see new elements to game reviews such as "Fun game, but I could only play 15 minutes of the game at a time or I would vomit"

Comment

Hopefully this would be addressed. I am very interested to see what kinds of titles and a potentially awesome new genre to be made here (VR games), but it doesn't help if I'm just going to barf all throughout the experience.

Comment

Working...
        X