Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WinXP isn't going anywhere

Originally posted by |D|-Jaws View Post
    This is pure comedy gold....in the other thread where you want to argue with me, you challenged me with the insinuation that I have not used Vistas or Win7....and here you are, admitting that you haven't used it.

Here is why your argument fails.

Microsoft and it's operating systems are ENTERPRISE centric....at least they were up to Vista. Home users were an aftermarket and an after thought. The OS was designed for business use....which made it highly efficient and customizable. It just so happened that it was a great and solid platform for gaming...which greatly catered to the aftermarket, the home user.

With Vista, they reversed course and it failed...that why business never adopted Vista....and they may not adopt Win7 if it can't outperform XP Pro. Why would I need to update my workstations that run Office just fine when it might force a hardware upgrade as well? Economic times are tough. Businesses will take the path of least resistance.

I won't come out and say you are flat out wrong because that would diminish the reasons why we are here...I just tend to think that you need to open up to the bigger picture which will provide you with much more clarity.
    That's nice.

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips View Post
    I really can't wait for Win7 to come out. The beta has been most impressive so far.
    Originally posted by Alex98uk View Post
    Yup, i'm really loving it
    Yeah, I agree. I probably won't spend the money for it, since I already own Vista, but I won't hesitate to recommend it to others.

Comment

What is this "backtrack 3" you mentioned?
      A useful tool! :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
        Nice points.

Anyway, what's better for a netbook, Ubuntu or XP, i can't really decide. I see the advantages of both.

Although, backtrack 3 might be an idea

So you openly admit that you would like to use a WEP based exploitation to gain access to my system?

Alex, I've heard of your attempts to do the same to GamersCrib. That would qualify as a crime here in the US.

Good thing I have Ethereal sniffing away.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
          Although, backtrack 3 might be an idea
          Find yourself a shopping cart and a few other gizmos and you might have something going for you.

Comment

So you openly admit that you would like to use a WEP based exploitation to gain access to my system?
            I would have to fly alllll the way to the US, find your house, start up the packet sniffing... and then realise you're on WPA2 :rawr

Alex, I've heard of your attempts to do the same to GamersCrib. That would qualify as a crime here in the US.
            Quite how you wirelessly hack a website is beyond me

Good thing I have Ethereal sniffing away.
            I just have the sniffs

Comment

Quite how you wirelessly hack a website is beyond me
              They'd never see it coming.

Comment

Holy dookie batman. Win 7 is better at Beta than Vista is post-sp1. Which brings me back on topic: pricing and "tiering" will be key. If MS does the wise thing and simply releases Win 7 at the ~$100 price point, not only will MS clean up, they might very well regain some ground against Linux (Unbuntu in particular) and the Macsters.

Part of the problem with Vista (aside from it being released at what can only be described as a pre-alpha stage of development) is that it came in more flavors than Baskin-Robbins ice cream, and you could have paid as much as $400 at launch for the "good one" (Windows Vista Premium Deluxe Business 64 bit Hooray Ultimate Extra-shiny Edition XXXtreme*).

All-in-all, I think it's quite likely that the folks who really matter for OS adoption (enterprise CIO's, academia, government, and SMB owners) may actually go for 7, especially as deteriorating hardware dictates replacements anyway. Then again, they may just dump the old hardware and reuse their old XP images to save a few thousand/hundred thousand/million bucks, keep all the legacy devices happy, and the so-called "retraining costs" low, lol.

It'll definitely be interesting to see what happens now that it looks like MS will release something worth buying. I'm not giving up my volume license copy of XP anytime soon, mind you :P

*funny thing is, I only made up four of those if memory serves

Comment

Originally posted by megawhompertoo View Post
                  Part of the problem with Vista (aside from it being released at what can only be described as a pre-alpha stage of development) is that it came in more flavors than Baskin-Robbins ice cream, and you could have paid as much as $400 at launch for the "good one" (Windows Vista Premium Deluxe Business 64 bit Hooray Ultimate Extra-shiny Edition XXXtreme*).
                  Well, the beta is labeled as "Windows 7 Ultimate" and comes both in 32 and 64 bit versions, so it doesn't look like that will change

Comment

Holy dookie batman. Win 7 is better at Beta than Vista is post-sp1. Which brings me back on topic: pricing and "tiering" will be key. If MS does the wise thing and simply releases Win 7 at the ~$100 price point, not only will MS clean up, they might very well regain some ground against Linux (Unbuntu in particular) and the Macsters.
                    Oh yeah, they sure lost a lot of ground, didn't they? I hear Linux is up to 0.85% of the desktop market share.

If Vista was release as 'pre-alpha', then the only way to describe Windows XP at launch would be to say it was still in the planning phase when it came out. How people can forget these things so fast....None of this is new, all the things people say about Vista have been said about XP, and look where it ended up.

Too many flavors huh? Because four is a whole lot more than three, right? And if you count Windows XP x64, that's 4 versions, since Windows XP x64 isn't based off of Windows XP.

All-in-all, I think it's quite likely that the folks who really matter for OS adoption (enterprise CIO's, academia, government, and SMB owners) may actually go for 7, especially as deteriorating hardware dictates replacements anyway. Then again, they may just dump the old hardware and reuse their old XP images to save a few thousand/hundred thousand/million bucks, keep all the legacy devices happy, and the so-called "retraining costs" low, lol.
                    Pleasing the Enterprise world is always impossible. Most of the time, they'll upgrade when they absolutely have to, not when the new operating system comes out.

It'll definitely be interesting to see what happens now that it looks like MS will release something worth buying. I'm not giving up my volume license copy of XP anytime soon, mind you :P

*funny thing is, I only made up four of those if memory serves
                    I honestly don't think I'll be buying Windows 7. It's so similar to Windows Vista(Which I already own a copy of) in performance and functionality that it'd be almost pointless. It's got the same kernel and a slightly updated version of the same driver model, and a new GUI, and those are the only major changes. Everything else is just a large accumulation of small improvements.

I think Windows 7 is great, and it's definitely worth it for the people who haven't already upgraded to Vista, but those who own Vista aren't going to gain a whole lot by moving to Windows 7.

Comment

I dunno Alec, I'm quite enjoying Win7 over Vista...

Comment

I dunno Alec, I'm quite enjoying Win7 over Vista...
                        Maybe it's a matter of perspective, then. From your point of view, the features Windows 7 adds may seem totally worth it. For me, they don't really give much benefit.

Installing drivers without rebooting is pretty damn ****in' awesome. Am I going to pay $100 for it? Probably not.

Now, if they redid the Audio Stack Architecture and reduced the latency through the DirectSound interface enough that I wouldn't need to use things like Audio Stream Input Output, I'd probably find that a great feature.

Comment

Originally posted by AbJ32 View Post
                          I honestly don't think I'll be buying Windows 7. It's so similar to Windows Vista(Which I already own a copy of) in performance and functionality that it'd be almost pointless. It's got the same kernel and a slightly updated version of the same driver model, and a new GUI, and those are the only major changes. Everything else is just a large accumulation of small improvements.

I think Windows 7 is great, and it's definitely worth it for the people who haven't already upgraded to Vista, but those who own Vista aren't going to gain a whole lot by moving to Windows 7.
                          I honestly appreciate you paying for vista to beta test it through at least one service pack through Win 7.

I didn't, and I will definitely benefit from your sacrifice.

I salute you.

Provided the release version is as good as what they've let me play with

edit, re-reading your fanpost, do you have any idea what the percentage gain for other-than-MS-OS's has been since Vista's launch? I'm not bashing MS on this one, everyone goofs once in a while.

Your abstention from reality, however, deserves attention. :P

Vista was the best thing in the past decade for Ubuntu, in particular, and also OSX, although mac folks seem to gravitate towards Steve Jobs whatevever.

That's just looking at the data, rather than your techfanboi appreciation.

I look forward to Win 7 release. The only thing that would make it not good enough to reassert MS's monopoly on operating systems is if they bork it or make it cost $200-400.

It's like win2k, only newer. :P

Comment

I've been hearing very favorable comments about Win 7 all across multiple boards. I'm very hopeful for this release, never bothered to upgrade to Vista due to its suckiness. How it transgresses from the beta to SP1 (the old rule, never upgrade until SP1) remains to be seen.

I've become an OS X convert. Next build will be a Hackintosh/Win 7 dual boot (hopefully!). Rumor is that Apple is tweaking the forthcoming release (Snow Leopard) due to the positive comments of Win 7.

Comment

All tests so far show Windows 7 ahead of XP.

In fact, most post SP1 Vista tests show the 64bit version ahead of XP.

But, real men run Linux Redhat lol!
                              Nah, all the cool kids runs kernel based knoppix linux

might try windows 7 out on my laptop, how big is the 64 bit version? Ive got an 4.3gb re-writable dvd sitting on my desk which i could use if the file isnt too large

Comment

3.2Gb is the 64 bit, 2.4 is 32bit

Comment

Working...
                                X