• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "Random Thoughts" Thread

Consultants earn a lot of money.

Comment

In the future, just work for a company that has foreign posting; you'll get a docked pay (probably 10 - 15% less), but get a helluva lot more benefits, like education for kids, rent, utilities etc.

It's a luxurious life working for a multinational.

Comment

lol @ you new nickname Vika

Comment

The tutors they let teach at these schools are pretty bad.

Then you have teachers that claim you cheat because you don't use scratch paper for algebra 2 and a multiple answer test. While I can understand an 8th grader wouldn't normally be able to accomplish this, assuming the only perfect score in the class copied answers by looking at other people's tests is idiocy.

I believe it was 3rd grade they wanted us to count to 100,000 over the course of the year or you would fail. I completely refused and explained how to count to 100,000 instead. They still passed me putting me in another "GT" Class the next year. The number might have been larger than 100,000 I can not recall.

I had actually come from a private school to a town that didn't have a private school. I had to go from writing in cursive to being restricted from writing in cursive until reaching a grade other students learned cursive. If it wasn't for athletics public school would have made me go insane. I was copying mandatory notes so quickly I couldn't even read them knowing I would never need to.

I got caught in 9th grade hacking the computer class's server and copying other peoples work. One of those "honor" students snitched. Later that year I got caught hacking into the office computers which wasn't a tough; the computers password was the mascot and all I did was plant back orfice or netbus. The only reason I wasn't permanently removed from the school district was because I saved my shop teacher's life.

This is a small fraction of the problems I had in public school. I ended up graduating at the bottom of my class because I never turned in homework and skipped more high school than I attended. If it wasn't football season I was only showing up for history, science and weightlifting. I relied on test taking to get my diploma and the ACT exam to get into college.

I feel like I told half my life story. The point is, public school indeed blows.

Comment

I was homeschooled. :weo:

Comment

What is Brass Monkey?

Comment

As with many things in life, public school is what you make of it.

Comment

Originally posted by [SA]2|SSgt.Spriggs
                  What is Brass Monkey?
                  Rum, vodka and OJ. Make sure the OJ is a bit sour.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainKirk
                    As with many things in life, public school is what you make of it.
                    True. In Oklahoma we have a public (but application-only) boarding school with most graduates either going to top tier private universities or state schools with a full ride. Though, I took concurrent college classes during high school (just had to pay for books/fees), graduated early, and had ~50 hrs of gen. ed. courses out of the way.

Comment

I hope I get into USNA Annapolis. Have to wait like 6 or more months to find out though.... C'est tres ennyeux. Excuse my French.

-SSgt.Spriggs
                      :salute:

Comment

if you say Jesus backwards it sounds like sausage

Comment

Originally posted by Iwantcable
                          True. In Oklahoma we have a public (but application-only) boarding school with most graduates either going to top tier private universities or state schools with a full ride. Though, I took concurrent college classes during high school (just had to pay for books/fees), graduated early, and had ~50 hrs of gen. ed. courses out of the way.
                          That's basically what I did. I could have started at a university after 2 years of high school, but took community college classes (paid for by the state government, thank you very much) for my last 2 years of high school. They all transferred to my uni so I literally have NO general requirements left to complete before I graduate and I'm saving the most money.

Comment

Yes, Public school is what a kindergartner makes of it. I moved a lot and did get a chance to attend another private school. You compare an excellent private school to a public school and its just the opposite. Public school is what you get and if you have an English teacher with a Golden Apple Award telling you she was following UFO's, then that is what you get. Teachers that made fun of other students because they have a reading impediment; calling the office to tell them you yelled "FU.. FU.. FU... FU... FU.... FU.. FU... FU.... FU..." all the way out of the class and down the hall when you didn't even open your mouth. When I got to the office I wasn't even given a chance to explain anything. I was nicely told to sit in the hallway that my mother was on her way to get my and I would not be allowed to drive myself home. No explanation as to why I was being sent home and never questioned. My mom couldn't even speak to me she was so furious and tearing at the eyes. Before we could even get to the radio station the school and teacher were calling every phone they had a reference to. The whack job of a teacher had completely lied not realizing that it would eventually come out as there were other students in the class and numerous old people voting in the hall way.

I was not the student that had a reading impairment, just couldn't stand to listen to a teacher make fun and harass someone with one. Everyone doesn't learn at the same rate and for the most part public schools do not adapt for people with a high IQ only a low one. I was put in advanced programs and had to take bus rides to the high school/mid high from the middle school but wasn't much different. I ended up dropping the classes and taking AP exams with little to no applied preparation, although, I did read the content well before it was made available to me. "Public school is what you make of it." normally is used when talking about people who needed to apply themselves in regular classes to learn but didn't.

I by all means wasn't perfect and not all teachers were bad. I absolutely couldn't learn a second language. I took a year of Spanish, and attempted a year of German and a year of French but just couldn't pick it up like other students. I believe I could learn a foreign language from someone who didn't speak English rather quickly and hope to visit another country for extended amounts of time soon. I was excellent at debate but became very frustrated when writing essays on subjects I didn't think were important.

"As to conforming outwardly, and living your own life inwardly, I have not a very high opinion of that course." - Henry David Thoreau

That reminds me, I can read or watch something that is historical or has a educational purpose and I'll be able to quote it for a life time. Give me a test over a movie I just watched and enjoyed and I will fail, in other words, I'm not going to remember character names or quote what they said.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_
                              Why are people so bad at math? Does public education really suck that much?
                              I would imagine visiting foreign countries and meeting people would make you less prejudiced.

-

Quite a story, Lunatik. From my observation, the decline in public education quality is directly associated with schools having to deal with the results of bad parenting.

Comment

Jesus Christ.

I kept facepalming for 3 pages when I saw the "negative/positive KDR" topic.

Anxiously awaiting for English linguists to start cracking on the "owned" word, definition and use.

Comment

Working...
                                X