Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "Random Thoughts" Thread

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
    Anxiously awaiting for English linguists to start cracking on the "owned" word, definition and use.
    I've been hearing it for a long time now. They used it a lot as a hacking term. Slang is slang
    Hopefully this usage will never be a cromulent word.

Comment

Jesus Christ.

I kept facepalming for 3 pages when I saw the "negative/positive KDR" topic.

Anxiously awaiting for English linguists to start cracking on the "owned" word, definition and use.
      Technically it means to "be in possession of something" but due to litorical differences in the interweb time and space continuum it means to "destroy and brutalize." and usually ends with an obnoxious textual message displaying the dominance of one player over another, or a "teabag".

Comment

Originally posted by Kylee!
        Technically it means to "be in possession of something" but due to litorical differences in the interweb time and space continuum it means to "destroy and brutalize." and usually ends with an obnoxious textual message displaying the dominance of one player over another, or a "teabag".
        You cant actually possess or own something which you cant claim, take or have, so this use of this word is wrong and should not be allowed.

And here we go...

Comment

Originally posted by LunaTiK TunaLiK
          I've been hearing it for a long time now. They used it a lot as a hacking term. Slang is slang
          Hopefully this usage will never be a cromulent word.
          Cromulent is such and awesome word.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_
            Cromulent is such and awesome word.
            Dorm room Simpson's- a favorite past time.

Comment

You cant actually possess or own something which you cant claim, take or have, so this use of this word is wrong and should not be allowed.

And here we go...
              I was assuming owned comes from the hacker terminology of taking control over a network. Which then formulated into what it is today.

Eitherways, like many words in slang, the direct meaning of the word itself doesn't result to the action it objectively portrays. Like "sucker", used to describe gullible people has no relevant (or etymological) link to the action to "suck"; yet it means what it is.

I don't know. Had to go through counselling for this **** in school for swearing too much.... sigh.

Comment

English is full of idioms; I count "own" as one of them. What does "kick the bucket" mean? Death has nothing to do with kicking or buckets as far as I know.

Comment

Guys, I think our harsh love for each other is being perceived as hatred. Next stop = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0 :love:

Comment

Lmfao!

Comment

I wrote a report then that was 6000 words -,-

Comment

English is full of idioms; I count "own" as one of them. What does "kick the bucket" mean? Death has nothing to do with kicking or buckets as far as I know.
                        Except, we have a whole topic-full of people, obvious either educated or half-way there, who cannot accept that. I suddenly felt very smart after reading that particular thread. Gotta keep my eye out on those, they do wonders to ones selfesteem.

RYKUU, 6000 words aint that much.

Comment

Except, we have a whole topic-full of people, obvious either educated or half-way there, who cannot accept that. I suddenly felt very smart after reading that particular thread. Gotta keep my eye out on those, they do wonders to ones selfesteem.

RYKUU, 6000 words aint that much.
                          Speaking of "owned," I've decided as of today to stop referring to things of a grandiose or awesome nature as "epic." It's derived from the Greek word "epos" and should exclusively apply to literature in the epic genre (such as the Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, etc).

Comment

Speaking of "owned," I've decided as of today to stop referring to things of a grandiose or awesome nature as "epic." It's derived from the Greek word "epos" and should exclusively apply to literature in the epic genre (such as the Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, etc).
                            Yeah, and when someone blows smoke up your ***, hand them a pipe!

Comment

Yeah, and when someone blows smoke up your ***, hand them a pipe!
                              >_>

Comment

And here we go...
                                I was jk'ing dude.

Comment

Working...
                                X