This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bokuho wrote..

They do that with Guild Wars actually - changing rules on an almost monthly basis, changing character skills even more often than that (and not just one or two 'skill balances', I mean entire professions being totally re-worked), adding in new professions every chapter to shake things up, changing how different maps and arenas play (to the point where maps have entirely changed from capute-the-flag to death match or whatever else, etc) etc etc... and the competitive scene for GW is still going as strong as ever. In fact their last season was almost twice as popular as the one before it in terms of just the number of people taking part, not to mention that almost 70% of the community overall still went into 'Observer' to watch the pro matches.

Not to mention, 'back in the day' of the original Unreal Tournament, leagues would often change their rules mid-season... yet nobody complained, that was just how it was. For most beat 'em up games (especially Dead Or Alive and Virtua Fighter), rules change on a match-by-match basis, one minute you're fighting five full rounds, then a few moments later you'll be in a one-round sudden-death match. And as it so happens, beat 'em up games are the fast-growing competitive games in terms of global size and popularity.

So tell me. Many other professional gamers of games across multiple genres can handle huge changes just fine - so why can't Source gamers handle some price changes?
    Source is a FPS game now a MMOG jesus this is not a POS WOW game its a FPS its meant to be a game not a real life drama they they were going it looked like in a few update t's would have to buy c4 and then if there was a crash in the market aks would be out of stock an so on.

Comment

Theres like a billion AK's in the world....

Comment

.Sn0w. wrote..

Source is a FPS game now a MMOG jesus this is not a POS WOW game its a FPS its meant to be a game not a real life drama they they were going it looked like in a few update t's would have to buy c4 and then if there was a crash in the market aks would be out of stock an so on.
        And in English that means...?

In case you had failed to read, I also listed other FPS games and beat 'em up games too. Now I've had more time to think of it, I can think of a few racing games where similar things have happened as well. SO don't focus entirely on the MMORPG thing (though they're just as valid an example as any other genre).

Comment

Bokuho wrote..

So tell me. Many other professional gamers of games across multiple genres can handle huge changes just fine - so why can't Source gamers handle some price changes?
          It would be fine if the changes were a one time deal, but for prices to change weekly for good or for bad that makes the game very very random to plan ahead.

And it is not like I even play source in leagues our anything[pub it with friends once in a while], I am simply looking at it from the point of view of a league player trying to enjoy his angle of the game.

Comment

"Kindly granted"? Munoz froths at any and every chance for getting in print, you gigantic fucking shill.

Comment

Good news for source

Comment

m4elite wrote..

It would be fine if the changes were a one time deal, but for prices to change weekly for good or for bad that makes the game very very random to plan ahead.
                Guild Wars prices change about every second -_-

Comment

You know, if they wanted to make it realistic, they should drop the AK price down to 50 bucks, because in Africa, they can go for that low of a price.

Comment

Why is everyone whining ?

It has a command so you can disable it if you want to play competitively - Great news for public players, it adds an element of variety to the game if you really want it.

I've also grown to actually like the new radar. It seemed a little bit quirky at first, and i'll admit that it does have a few bugs, but hey, they are nothing game breakingly serious and i'm sure they will be ironed out in time.

If anything it allows players who are new to the game to play more as a team and it even allows seasoned veterans such as myself a more accurate view of my team mates movements.

I think these new changes are beginning to form CSS into its own style, which is kinda neat in a way, but there are still some bugs that need addressing if the game is ever to reach Munoz's and the high end competitive players standards.

Comment

m4elite wrote..

Notice where I pointed out several games where important aspects and rules are changing every second or so. One small aspect changing once a week is nothing compared to what goes on with some games. Changing weapon prices in Source once a week is nothing compared to say Dead Or Alive where in a tournament, one match will be a one-on-one two-round fight, then suddenly they change up in your next match to a tag-team five-rounder. What Source players are having to deal with is a tiny change that more often than not will have absolutely no effect on how they play the game, while professional players of other games deal with drastic gameplay changes that do effect how you play entirely, on a much more regular basis too. Yet they cope just fine.
                      Salamandra wrote..

Guild Wars prices change about every second -_-
                      Exactly. In fact with GW specifically, some stuff entirely disappears one second, then returns the next. You want that +3 Swordsmanship rune for your Warrior to slice up some n00b Assassins in the Team Arenas? Well you better hope that the rune trader actually has any in stock. Your sub-par armour is getting you killed in important Guild v Guild matches and you need some rare materials to get the better armour? Well you better hope that the material trader has what you need, because if they've plain and simple sold out of it then you're screwed.

You can ham this change up to be the most ground-breakingly awful gameplay change to any game ever all you want, but the fact is that other professional gamers for other games put up with many more changes, more important changes, on a much more regular basis, and they've been able to cope with it for years.
                      DaRk-AnGeL wrote..

but there are still some bugs that need addressing if the game is ever to reach Munoz's and the high end competitive players standards.
                      If they can't take change, then those people shouldn't be allowed to call themselves professional, and they should strongly reconsider whether they actually want to play competitively or not. To take a game that seriously, you have to be prepared to get on with anything, even gameplay changes, no matter how small or large.

Comment

lol why does every post either flame down to "1.6 is better than source" or "competitive vs casual" players...honestly we are all a part of the same community...and if we truly want games to grow and develop it would do us some good to stop bitching and focus our efforts on advancing our hobby as much as possible. Source has a competitive community and a casual one...1.6 and source are both played competitively...to each their own, but can we plz stop flaming each other cause we think the way we play is better than the way the other guy plays...

In my opinion all that would have happened with the new market is the aug, sig, ak, colt, and awp would have eventually ended up costing roughly the same amount...as would the deag and usp....and sub machine guns would have come down in price drastically....am i happy they made a cvar...yes...its not that teams cant adapt every week...its that teams rely on things like the silencer of the colt so that they can fire behind a smoke cover and not have a muzzleflash...and things of that nature along with obvious gameplay advantages of knowing what you can buy every round and basing strategies around that...the radar...my only problem with it was that when it was first implemented people were visible through smoke, but with that now fixed i have very few gripes...so plz can we stop the bitching and moaning guys and gals?

Comment

m4elite wrote..

This game is on its last leg, they have to result to a community based lan run by a player..

That is why cs 1.6 is the most popular game. Plenty of leagues and lans and good coverage.
                          probably devil's advocate, but CS:S is consistantly second on the XFire 10 most populr games, and I don't think I've ever seen it below 1.6 in well over a year.

I agree that most leagues still play 1.6, but in terms of "which game is played the most", the XFire table suggest that CS:S is the more popular and therefore not on it's last leg...or if it is, then 1.6 must be on it's last foot...

Comment

"but in terms of "which game is played the most", the XFire table suggest that CS:S is the more popular"

Are you serious? Even now, on a Sunday night (when most students are off doing their homework), Counter-Strike 1.6 has more than double the amount of players Counter-Strike: Source has.

As of the time of posting this:

CS 1.6: 83,209+14,500 (Condition Zero)

CS:S: 46,036

On Saturday and Friday, Counter-Strike 1.6's numbers easily breach 200,000, while CS:S rarely breaches 50,000 (and, on the same note, a greater percentage of servers are host to CS:S's integrated bots).

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=stats

Comment

I think we can all breathe a *sigh* of relief after reading this...

Comment

haha dude you really need to stop hating...for 1...I will 100 percent agree with you that more cs 1.6 competitive players are going to play on the weekend than source, because anybody who still plays 1.6 obviously plays for the competitive side, and if they are that competitive into cs they are willing to sacrifice partying, nfl sunday, etc etc....however the fact still remains that there is competitive source going on, and on the whole more hours are played by source than 1.6...and honestly who actually does homework on sunday. But as i stated in my previous post...can we plz stop making it a competition...we are comparing like a red delicious apple to a golden delicious apple...essentially the fundamental concepts of each game are the same and we need to stop bustin each others balls cause they dont play the game the exact same way that you do.

Comment

Working...
                                X