This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half-Life 2 Purchasing Methods

Big news from the world of VALVe; Gabe Newell has spilled the beans to all us gamers on how we are going to acquire the highly anticipated sequel to Half-Life. Over at Planet Half-Life a confirmed Gabe Newell e-mail was posted revealing Half-Life 2's different pricing plans and purchasing methods. For those of you concerned about the pay to play rumor, fear not! You can purchase the game normally as a boxed unit from a retailer or through Steam with a one time payment. This will allow you to enjoy the mods, multiplayer, and of course single-player content of Half-Life 2. However there is a catch; when new content is released by VALVe, such as expansion packs, Team Fortress 2 or Counter-Strike 2, you will have to pay separately for those games.

Gabe Newell also went on to talk about the Steam subscription service which does allow you to receive new content as soon as it's released with no additional charge. So if you purchase Half-Life 2 as a game subscription via Steam there will be a monthly charge, most likely around $9.95/month, but you will get free access to any additional content such as the afore mentioned games.

Another thing to note for all you gamers out there stuck in the dark ages is you can purchase a cheap single-player only copy of Half-Life 2 from a retail store which has no mod or multiplayer support. And if that doesn't do it for you there will be a collector's edition package with "cool bonus stuff for people who like cool bonus stuff."

Update: In another e-mail correspondence, this time carried out by GNS Project, Gabe Newell confirmed that those who purchase the cheaper single-player only package of Half-Life 2 can upgrade to the full multiplayer/mod-supported version later using Steam. More info on that as well as Gabe's two cents on the whole fiasco here.

A copy of the original e-mail can be found at this forum post. The legitimacy of this correspondence has been confirmed by both Gabe and Planet Half-Life.

sweet ideas, but if I get HL2 through steam, do i have to pay 9.95 every month to keep playing it???!!?!

Comment

It depends on what option you choose. You can purchase the standard Half-life 2 package through steam that will have NO recurring fee, however when new content is released you will have to pay for it.

Comment

Edited by [user="3001"] @ [time="1062842462"]

oh, ok then. Thanks MikeJ, you sure are helpful!

Comment

However there is a catch; when new content is released by VALVe, such as Team Fortress 2 or Counter-Strike 2, you will have to pay for those expansions
          (assumign you buy box, you still have to buy expansions)

maybe ive misinterpreted something, but if above is true, I can see the CS popN figures drop from like 75% of online games to about 1%. But maybe its just me who doesnt believe in paying arms legs and bollocks for a game :P except maybe a sex game where you pay with your bodyparts in a metaphorical way. *starts writing rules*

Comment

From what I've been understand of all this, I'll say what everyone wants to know.

You can buy half-life in the store for one solid price and get to play it on steam, and get patches and everything else for free.

If you want to play a mod made by Valve such as TF2, CS2, or DoD, you will have to pay another solid fee (for each mod I believe).

If you pay the monthly subscription fee then you get HL and all other Valve mods under that monthly fee.

Comment

Edited by [user="34433"] @ [time="1062613039"]

when new content is released by VALVe, such as Team Fortress 2 or Counter-Strike 2, you will have to pay for those expansions
              So is that confirmation that CS2 and TF2 will be add-ons ot HL2? Sound's like it from the above unless they've just got the wording mixed up.

edit

Hah it doesn't actually say that but say's this.
              The bad news is that when we come out with new content (expansion products, TF 2, and presumably other games) then they have to pay separately for those.

Comment

It's a shame they're releasing 3 different versions to retail, since a) i can't imagine the price difference is going to make losing 1/4 of the game justifiable, and b) you just know the ignorant are going to get done over with this. I can just see some parent buying the game for his/her kid, and the kid stewing in his white boy pain over the fact they bought the no-mod/mp version.

As for paying $9.95 each and every month being "better value" - I can't see Valve producing $120 worth of content each and every year. And even if they did, who says you're going to WANT some of that content?

Finally, i now worry about my pre-order. If they sell me the no-mod/mp version, i'm just going to sob. Given the Amazon price (£24.99 UK folks!), i hope this isn't the case. But time will tell.

Comment

What happend to mods being free?

Comment

Dangki wrote..

So is that confirmation that CS2 and TF2 will be add-ons ot HL2? Sound's like it from the above unless they've just got the wording mixed up.
                    it's confirmation of of TF2, that's straight from the e-mail. the classification of these games as either "add-ons" or "expansions" or "stand alone products" is not confirmed, but you will have to pay for them unless you have a HL2 steam subscription.

Comment

MikeJ wrote..

it's confirmation of of TF2, that's straight from the e-mail. the classification of these games as either "add-ons" or "expansions" or "stand alone products" is not confirmed, but you will have to pay for them unless you have a HL2 steam subscription.
                      Yeh it was your wording that got me confused, in the e-mail it says TF2 comma expansions.

Comment

wow

got greed?

i cant wait till steam is hacked cause people realize that this is incredagay.

Comment

Man that's a bitch to have to buy HL2 AND then to have to buy CS2. I'll probably never play the Single Player in HL2 just because im a pansy ass bitch that jumps the fuck up just seeing a headcrab pop in my face. Maybe I will do something fucking stupid like buy CS2 retail... whoa..

Comment

Dangki wrote..

Yeh it was your wording that got me confused, in the e-mail it says TF2 comma expansions.
                            yea expansions wasn't really the world i was looking for, but this a huge change and it's all a bit confusing, especially since it's from a damn e-mail! We have been use to getting all the content for free as downloadable mods/expansions for Half-life, aside from blueshift and oppforce. I suppose TF2 and the like will be classified as stand alone games.

Comment

Hold on a sec. Now ive preordered HL2 from a respected site on the net which i wont mention. When I get this, does this mean i can't play multiplayer?

Comment

Working...
                              X