Payday 2 Moderators Revolt Against Overkill and Terrible Microtransactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payday 2 Moderators Revolt Against Overkill and Terrible Microtransactions

Overkill recently decided that they wanted Payday 2 to be a pay to win game. Their latest updates added stat altering modifications to what should have been purely cosmetic changes to weapon skins. Well, the community was pretty upset about this and rightfully so. Some users have even suggested contacting the FTC over Overkill's business practices.

In fact, the moderators of the Steam Community section for Payday 2 are also quite upset. So much so that they have announced that they refuse to do any work until they can get a public dialogue from Overkill about their concerns over these microtransactions.
    Hey guys so well i'm unhappy that it has come to this situation but it has. We're pretty unhappy with the COP update for a number of reasons. I'm going to discuss this further up in the thread. Due to this situation, myself and Jones are now refusing to moderate the forums anymore.

This DOES NOT mean go crazy, there will still be steam moderators on the forums at times.

We've recently being under a great deal of stress after the crimefest update. A number of death threats thrown at us as well as much more heavy moderation needed due to a huge increase in users breaking the rules. We are not paid and have been in a very stressful situation.

Why now?
    A lot of people will be wondering why we didn't do this earlier, due to the recent safe release. A lot of things happened and Overkill admitted it wasn't managed very well. We we're hoping Overkill would learn from its mistakes regarding the last update and we were hoping they took these into consideration with the COP. We have a lot of issues regarding the release of the COP that shows they have NOT listened to user feedback at all.

The delays gave me hope that they had reworked the content of the safe in response to user feedback. This does not seem to be the case.

As of release the COP safe can provide 1 of 25 skins. This is what we expected. What i didn't expect is that these skins can be of varied quality and rarity. This is NOT acceptable and just expressed the lack of feedback taken into consideration.

The COP safe should have done like one of this.

1) Players could pick what weapon they wanted the skin for and the skin quality should have ALWAYS been mint condition. This would then be tradable. All skins would have either no skin boost or a boost. They would all be equal.

2) Players got all 25 skins in mint condition but the contents would not be tradable at all.

So what now?
    I like to believe that i am not unreasonable but unfortunately the situation constantly degraded. We will no longer refuse to work if we are given a public interview with a member of Overkill. We want to be heard and see what Overkill are willing to do to fix the situation.

If Overkill decides to let us go as moderators it's something we are prepared for, i personally cannot sit by when they continue to promote immoral business practices. I felt the skins system needed work but could function. The recent safe update showed against that.

I'm very sorry that it has come to this situation but the stress we have had to manage with, coupled with our unhappiness with the situation has pushed us to make this choice. I am not sure what Tessio feels about this so please do not insult, attack or involve him unless he wants to be involved.

I would say, "you should obviously realize that you fucked up when even your moderators are revolting against your business practices," but I won't. Why? Because this system is obviously working for them. If Overkill wasn't making money from people they would have done a complete 180 almost immediately, but they haven't. They've essentially doubled down on this "pay to win" microtransaction nonsense.

Perhaps one ray of light from all of this is the fact that Overkill's most public figure on Steam, Almir, said that he and the Overkill crew will be discussing the feedback from the moderators this weekend. He said that a public discussion "would do a lot of good" and will probably happen at some point next week.
Working...
X