TGN Previews Papers, Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGN Previews Papers, Please

Glory to Arstotzka! We take a quick look at the first two days of employment in Papers, Please which was just released on Steam this past week.

You can purchase Papers, Please for just $9.99 (USD) from Steam.

This preview in lieu of one for Saints Row IV since we aren't important or big enough to even get a free key for a digital copy.

Comment

The demo people are talking about is the Beta 0.5.13 release on Lucas Pope's website (before he made the Papers, Please website with Steam, GOG.com, and Humble Store as purchase options). The beta is surprisingly meaty allowing you to play up to Day 9 with pretty much all variations in-tact (I'll let the players figure out what I mean by variations), but has placeholders for images (labor lottery, etc.) and a few missing sounds. So for those who still aren't convinced, play it for free then. It's a standalone direct download on his website without any DRM, nor does it require Steam. Can't really ask for more than that. Actually wait... You can ask for more. You can mod the darn thing. While I don't know how the retail release affects mods, I do know you can use the Beta assets to make a mod (assets also downloaded from Mr. Pope's website).

You also sound joyful and enthusiastic in this preview, which is nice. Also, I appreciate you using the daily bulletin to highlight the current date instead of using the clock on the bottom left, because the TGN watermark is actually obscuring it. To those who don't know, you can simply select the date on the clock to highlight the current date, which saves precious in-game time.

Fun fact: Republia that you mentioned in the preview is actually a reference to Mr. Pope's previous game, as a warm-up to prepare for the 48-hour Ludum Dare competition. The game's title? The Republia Times.

Comment

5 views on that video. 5. And one of them was mine.

I'm pretty sure I'm done making content for this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Zipay View Post

I just bought the game based on your review so perhaps you won't view the time spent on the video as a total waste...

Comment

"Published on 08-14-2013 10:59 PM"

Give it time. I'm just getting my day going here!

Comment

Originally posted by dvereb View Post
              "Published on 08-14-2013 10:59 PM"

Give it time. I'm just getting my day going here!
              It was put up at 7PM my local time and 4PM PST, which is typically a sweet spot for online activity. There were 90 or so views of the thread at that point, with the video link also posted to Twitter (twice), G+ (twice), and Facebook. So ... no, 5 views at that point isn't good. Nor has the views on the previous attempts at content, at least the previous five of them which have gone up over just the past two weeks. Seeing as how none of them broke 100 views. Hell, none of them has even broken 70 views in two weeks.

Comment

Wow, that was actually quite interesting. Might have to give it a go sometime... who'd have thought of a eastern bloc border simulator...

Comment

It was put up at 7PM my local time and 4PM PST, which is typically a sweet spot for online activity. There were 90 or so views of the thread at that point, with the video link also posted to Twitter (twice), G+ (twice), and Facebook. So ... no, 5 views at that point isn't good. Nor has the views on the previous attempts at content, at least the previous five of them which have gone up over just the past two weeks. Seeing as how none of them broke 100 views. Hell, none of them has even broken 70 views in two weeks.
                  For whatever little it is worth, I appreciate your hard work Zips.

I belong to no social media platforms so I can't help there, but I'm going to go and watch this video again, log into youtube and give you a thumbing in the upward direction.

Comment

My timezone settings weren't correct on my account. That makes more sense now - I assumed you posted it late at night! As for social media, I'm almost in the same boat as porkfist. I have accounts, but I just don't use them. I appreciate your time as csnation.net is a daily visit for me throughout the week. I tend to do more reading than watching videos, though, since I don't think others at work would appreciate hearing it while trying to get work done.

Comment

I loved this game so thanks for highlighting it in a review. Sorry the views never really took off.

Comment

Working...
                      X