Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here is How Modern Warfare 2 Will Spark Further Controversy

Originally posted by Silo
    I suppose this is like the coup level in cod4? just like an intro level, you get to see and feel the horrible things makrov does. and then afterwards your pissed and get to save the world and raise the american flag in the russians face once again
    Bingo. It sets you up for the whole game. I like this technique. Its quite different from the whole-

"Blablabla, youre an agent, blablabla, stolen nuke, blablabla gear up!"
    *Push start, jump out an airplane and kill 1000 russians*

Instead, in this game, after the first scene (assuming that this is the first or one of the first ones) youre just muttering "****!" and take the game much more seriously. You know, in a vengeful kind of way. Immersion is great if you care about the characters.

Or, you know, you could just live your life believing that all the bad things happen somewhere in the Middle East.

Comment

You don't play as a terrorist the whole way through though?
      And each time you play OpFor in Multiplayer your playing a terrorist..
      [reason]RARGH I CAN GET ANGRY BECAUSE I CAN.[/reason]

There is no real rational explanation as to why its such a problem.
      Sure there are moral implications that can affect someone but it is only a game after all. Its not like your going to an airport to shoot people for real now is it?

I seriously do not understand what your all getting worked up about.

Comment

I think someone made a valid point in the Hellforge blog posting, it would have been better to play from the perspective of an unarmed citizen than from the gun toting terrorist, trying to evade them but being taken down. A variation to being killed by a nuke in CoD4.

The thing about the coup level though is that they don't put you in control over the guy pulling the trigger.

IW is going to have a really hard time explaining why they put this into the game, especially to the Australian game review board.

Comment

Anyone who doesn't want to play as a terrorist is a communist.

Comment

I wonder if this game lets you turn the gun sideways when you get close to an enemy like in PerfectDark, so you can do an execution the right way. /sarcasm

Comment

From what I see, what would help the immersion would be to be in the place of an unarmed civilian witnessing the events of the terrorist attack. Not only would be it be... much more morally correct, honestly it would make me angry at the terrorists doing the deed. Playing as a terrorist I would just feel... dirty.

So IMO this is extremely unnecessary. Yes, there are people out there who do know people who've died in school shootings, and terrorist attacks. Thus meaning this will get a HUGE amount of attention from the media, and many will probably visibly do something... perhaps in the form of lawsuits, etc.

Bad decision by IW in all honesty.

Comment

Was the video removed? it isn't playing............

EDIT

yes, Activision did make them remove it, gone from the original site, youtube and metacafe but here's a few more links.

You can find all the latest Information on S1mple CS:GO Settings & Sensitivity, S1mple Other Gameplay Settings like s1mple Apex Legends Settings & Call of Duty

Comment

Regardless of your ethical standpoint on this content, your country's censorship board may decide for you and ban the game. I believe the Aussie board has some quite strict guidelines to adhere to.

Comment

Yea i honestly cant see this getting past our certification board once the news becomes more wide spread.

Comment

[IW Marketing employee]

YAY! Free publicity for our undercover CIA agent level!

[/IW Marketing employee]

Not sure what the big deal is. Go to the movies and you'll see the same thing. Freedom of speech! This means that you are free to debate as well.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Eliminator
                        Yea i honestly cant see this getting past our certification board once the news becomes more wide spread.
                        F@ck, I was actually planning to get it! (for SP and Spec ops)

Comment

Wow...that vid was heavy duty. Then again, I'm pretty sure that was IWs intention. Personally, I'm on the fence on what to think...on one side, as a gaming immersion factor, that perspective is brilliant (based upon what we know of the story line) in that you will definately have a totally different perspective on your character and his missions for completing the game with a positive outcome. On the other side, was it really necessary to throw the gamer in the first person role of brutally gunning down civilians? Could a less interactive plot line achieve the same or similar level of immersion?

Just looking at the posts here, it almost seems that is an underlying question most of us have. We're all gamers here...as gamers I think most of us certainly has no problem distinguishing between reality and games. I myself have had no issue with "killing" AI and blurring that with reality. For me, that's just silly. Unfortunately, there is a fraction of a percent of the population that will "get off" on that particular mission...and that is going to be the focus the media will have a hay day with (think Columbine). I think regardless of the storyline as a whole and how the character you play will ultimately "bring freedom and security to the world", bits and pieces of that video will fly through our governments fueling the pleas of stronger censorship. Just like GTA. Begs the question again, was it really necessary for that perspective to be built into the game? Personnally, I don't have an answer...I haven't played the game. But as of the moment, I'm leaning towards perhaps it could have been done differently...with less gamer interaction.

That being said, yeah...Rockstar has taken their fair share of shots for the GTA series. They've received a black eye or two regarding their content and how the gamer is to interact in/with the game. But, they are none the less for wear; they're still pumping out the games with "questionable" content and still making a boat load of cash. I think IW will survive this controversial content, skipping all the way to the bank themselves. The differences I see between GTA and this vid is pretty clear though; IMHO, GTA somewhat desensitizes the gamer as to what is "right and wrong". Killing hookers, cops, running people over randomly is just the way the game is made to be played. I think IWs intent with this content is to deeply immerse you into the game as a means to strengthen your resolve at ultimately defeating the enemy. Again, for a game, a brilliant way of getting the gamer "into" the story with not only skill, tactics, and strategy, but emotion as well. And lets face it, in reality war is brutal...be it military group against military group, or military group fighting terrorists. And yet again, how much "in your face" reality do we need in our games?

Comment

Playing asa civillian will not even nearly affect the player the way this footage does. Playing as a civillian will only create some tention, thats it. And considering how scripted COD games are, youll be able to play through the game with your eyes closed anyway.

Comment

Whats the problem? It's a game. Fiction.

Had this been say 10-15 years ago, or we weren't in the situation we're in currently. There wouldn't be a turned head about this.

Someone made a point, this happens in movies constantly. So what your playing a video game, and actually controling the person doing the shooting.

What about GTA? You can kill civilians in GTA, and many other games I'm sure of it.

So because these guys are "Terrorists" it becomes now a different ball game? I call foul.

I quite frankly, am looking forward to this mission lol (If I even buy the game that is)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
                                Playing asa civillian will not even nearly affect the player the way this footage does. Playing as a civillian will only create some tention, thats it. And considering how scripted COD games are, youll be able to play through the game with your eyes closed anyway.
                                Why wouldn't it?

Imagine being some civilian businessman sitting there with your coffee and reading a magazine when a door burst open and bullets start flying. The dude sitting next to you gets his head taken off, you see the attractive woman you were having a conversation with a moment earlier take two rounds in the chest, you see a father with a kid in his arms get blown to hell, across the room you see a wounded security officer take half a magazine as hes down on the floor and all you can do is just try to get the hell out of there.

Honestly the whole GTA thing doesn't work. Sure you can kill civilians, but you have the option too, and its not very realistic. The people in GTA tend to be alone, stupid, etc. basically the opposite from what I've seen in the video.

Regardless of what anyone here thinks this is going to turn into ****storm for IW, and not just in the US. IMO a very bad decision on their part putting this in the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X