Battlefield 1943 PC Delayed 'til 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battlefield 1943 PC Delayed 'til 2010

Why does it take so long? Why would we pay for 1943 when BC2 comes out a little later. Also only 32 players? Lame!

Comment

They could be really nice and add in another couple maps for us. Since they're going with the Pacific theme, how kick@$$ would Invasion of the Philippines be? Or Midway? If BC2 is going to come right on the heels of BF1943 I can't see too many people opting for the latter over the former. That is, of course, assuming BC2 is released even remotely close to the March 2 release date we were told earlier.

My cynical side is telling me consoles will get BC2 in March, PC not until about July. But I'm trying to ignore him, so just pretend I never typed this...

Comment

Originally posted by WolfAlmighty
        They could be really nice and add in another couple maps for us. Since they're going with the Pacific theme, how kick@$$ would Invasion of the Philippines be? Or Midway? If BC2 is going to come right on the heels of BF1943 I can't see too many people opting for the latter over the former. That is, of course, assuming BC2 is released even remotely close to the March 2 release date we were told earlier.

My cynical side is telling me consoles will get BC2 in March, PC not until about July. But I'm trying to ignore him, so just pretend I never typed this...
        I really doubt that. They have plenty of time to release both simultaneously. I don't think they want to let down the PC guys like 1943 did. I'll ask KMT about how the PC version is going.

Comment

Originally posted by M0t0rBreath
          I really doubt that. They have plenty of time to release both simultaneously. I don't think they want to let down the PC guys like 1943 did. I'll ask KMT about how the PC version is going.
          BC2 is going to be using Frostbite also, yes? Or a different engine entirely? If so, I'd imagine they'd run into the same issues of making a PC game on Frostbite with BC2 as they have so far with 1943. And it's not that they're incapable of releasing both titles at the same time, it's that it wouldn't make a great deal of financial sense to do so. Maybe if 1943 releases in early January it would give PC players a couple months of gameplay before BC2 is released, but if it's not until mid or late Q1 then I'd imagine most people would just say screw it and wait another couple weeks for BC2 instead. And if they're using ranked server providers and allowing people to rent their own servers (I'm speculating), most server renters would probably just rent a BC2 box instead.

Comment

Well, it's good to hear that they are working on it and actually taking the time to use higher player limits etc... seems promising for BC2 for PC

However I'm afraid that it will release too close to BC2 and hardly get any sales, which isn't good for anyone. They should make it free, like some sort of Frostbite demo and to attract new customers... unlikely but it could be a good business strategy

Comment

My only concern now is the player count for the PC. I hope its 40 players, I think that'll work for any map, ground or air. I'm talking about BC2.

Comment

i really doubt that there will be 40 players for pc for bc2, this article just answers it. So with much less content in BF43 frostbite can handle maximum 32 players. Now if theres much more content like in bc2 i really doubt thats its even gonna be 32 players, i think it will stay 24 even on pc. Considering this i dunno how the hell do they plan 80 players in BF3:dead:

Comment

Good. Let them test Frostbite engine on PC with 1943. Hopefully BFBC2 won't be delayed because of "lack of starting foundation".

Comment

Originally posted by iQue
                    Well, it's good to hear that they are working on it and actually taking the time to use higher player limits etc... seems promising for BC2 for PC

However I'm afraid that it will release too close to BC2 and hardly get any sales, which isn't good for anyone. They should make it free, like some sort of Frostbite demo and to attract new customers... unlikely but it could be a good business strategy
                    haha free:laugh: PC would be lucky to get another kick in the teeth

Comment

You've been living under a rock for the last 5 years if this actually shocks or surprises anyone.....DICE has always been incompetent when it comes to giving or keeping release dates.

if they take this long we better be getting more maps or maybe even a surprise of more classes.....heck, they might even give us a full game.........

Originally posted by ponton
                      Good. Let them test Frostbite engine on PC with 1943. Hopefully BFBC2 won't be delayed because of "lack of starting foundation".
                      id be willing to bet that it will......i hate to sound cynical but i doubt we will see BFBC2 on the PC by May/june....you guys are forgetting Q1 stretches into April........

Comment

"GVD: We haven't released a Frostbite [DICE's game engine] built game on PC, so going into this project we lacked a starting foundation we had on Console. There are also many different and unique only challenges to the PC that has lead to us pushing the release even further to Q1 CY 2010 [early next year]. This was a hard pill to swallow, but it was absolutely needed to ensure the features and functionality that PC Players have come to expect from Battlefield on PC are not missing. Things like support for DirectX 9 and 10, higher player count (up to 32-player matches), wide peripheral support i.e. Joysticks for flying, VoIP, and ranked server provider hosting. So it was and still is the absolutely right decision, for quality sake, to not release until it is ready."

GVD could not have said it any better. If that means we have to wait, so be it. Rushing the game wouldn't do any good for the PC sake.

@Wolf
                        An extra map wouldn't hurt. As long as it differs enough gameplay wise from the maps already included. But we could be asking for too much? Honestly I'd be satisfied with a proper PC implementation.

@iQue
                        Release it for free, following Wolf:ET example? That would be fantastic! But it would be in our interest to fund DICE .

Comment

Damn... (ohno)

I was planning to just buy Battlefield 1943 and then play it until Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, but now it's coming in 2010 and it's kind of useless to still buy it. :/

In 2010 I'm going to play Mass Effect 2 non-stop + Battlefield Bad Company 2...

Comment

Originally posted by M0t0rBreath
                            Why does it take so long? Why would we pay for 1943 when BC2 comes out a little later. Also only 32 players? Lame!
                            Because it was only june when Dice realised they might have to use the frostbite engine on the pc, which they should of done with bc1 just to test it.

Originally posted by ponton
                            It will be.

Because they chose not to put BC1 on pc they didnt even think about putting frostbite on pc untill june this year, which means the beta for frostbite (1943) wont be done untill march at the earliest. This means that BC2 has nothing to go on. So really a delay to mid summer or eary fall next year is quite possible.

Comment

Actually he is lying. Frostbite was developed as multi platform engine, there are two vids on youtube that are running on DX10 pc just fine.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVH2T4mSSiw[/media]

and

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtfyUoVEPNg[/media]

Thats it, they just dont really bother with pcs, but on the other hand, dedicated servers and 32 players are good.

Comment

Rather have it late but finished than an early but rushed and buggy game...

Comment

Working...
                                X