No announcement yet.

BattleGroup-Frontlines v1.0 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are persons with skills to give constructive criticism + make the devs of a free mod feel respected and happy after the hard and long winding road, even when those persons are pointing the faults.

Others just fail...don't try it, thanks.

Postman, keep pushing, I suggest the zen budism mode.

Comment

Originally posted by snipers View Post
      @Postman
      Don't expect me to apologize for you quitting modding. And please by moaning you don't prove anything to none but only finding excuses! And the ironic tone in your voice? I dont get it.
      I my self work on Cinema4D and Photoshop for modeling and texturing. Not for mods, just as a hobby. When i 1rst put my w.i.p. screenshot at some forums i get lot of criticism. And i find it very good to me because guess what? My next screenshot has less faults. And how is that done? Because i cant dump someone' s opinion that points out to me that my objects have wrong geometry, or my scene is lighten wrong, or some polys have to be smooth greatly or the compositing is totally bad, or the textures are over-brighten for example.
      Share some work with us, great artist, so I can see how great you are and how useful your comment is. I
      You are speaking about rendering, things you can be fixed with lightning, special surfaces for metal or glas...
      But hey, you can unpack the mod and try it yourself. take the panzerIII J and make a new texture. it is pretty easy to do, the uvw is very easy done, you can identify the single parts very fast.

There are persons with skills to give constructive criticism + make the devs of a free mod feel respected and happy after the hard and long winding road, even when those persons are pointing the faults.

Others just fail...don't try it, thanks.

Postman, keep pushing, I suggest the zen budism mode.
      no problem with pointing out faults and from guys that know what they are talking about it is always good to get feedback, but the personal attacks during the last days, even on servers where somehow overwhelming.

People just told me, that my work is done with ms paint... :shakehead

That was the friendly version

Though I am practicing japanese kendo, Yamaoka Tesshu´s book/biografie is my guidebook^^

Comment

this is amazing. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by [BGF]Benseras
          Regarding your picture, it doesn´t look perfect but mainly because of your settings. I did the screenshots we published on the news for my maps and now i hear people saying that our screenshots looked much better than the game actually. Well, i never tweaked or sharpened any picture. My setting was 1280x1024(1024x768 will be ok too), terrain high, geomety high, dynamic light medium and now whats most important to see the textures more sharp on distance(see your bic, texture is blurry on distance - your comment about the low detail maps is a real joke, there is one...you see at 400 meter distance with fog and its grass) --> anisotropic filtering of at least 8x better 16x, anti aliasing 4x. If you use these settings you´ll see BGF like on our screenshots.
          For the last time. IT IS NOT MY SETTINGS. I am not the only one stating thatthe mod has bad textures and models. All my settings are on high with 2x AA and 1280x1024 resolution.

BTW the BGF mod update screenshots look worse than my screenshot. I didn't need to post a SS to show how bad this mod looks, you take far worse and show them to a larger audience.

Comment

I am not the only one stating thatthe mod has bad textures and models.
            No, but you are one of the few.

snipers, by all means, open the textures in any art program (PhotoShop, Paintshop Pro, etc), and take a look at them for yourself. They are as high quality work as you will ever find, from any mod (including FH2). Import the models into Max, and look at them as well. Within the poly count guide for BF2, they are as detailed as you are allowed to make them.

Why your system doesn't show you this ingame is sad, but try asking around and see if maybe it is a setting you have overlooked, or something like a dual processor issue, instead of blaming the mod and then slurring us in every comment you make.

Too many other people see things fine for it to be a mod issue. Try finding out why you aren't seeing it correctly, and maybe you can help some other people who are having this same problem.

If you even care. Because if you don't, why the hell are you here?

This goes out to anyone having these problems. Try asking in our forums for help instead of making jackasses out of yourselves and publicly slurring our mod like you have done here.

Comment

Great mod guys for first release. The only prob is that i get lag spikes once and awhile. Other than that its great. And also the graphics are bad at all...and im playing on high with 4x AA.......there not bad at all. Dunno what everyone is coplaining about

Comment

Originally posted by crandaddy
                I have seen many posts with people unhappy with BGF: snipers, r3wt, mrkidkill, Smooth, radicator8, Copy_of_Blah

What I don’t understand is, if they don’t like it that much, why don’t they just ask for a refund of all their hard earned money they paid for the mod?

What?
                It is a free mod and they are complaining… :shakehead
                Wow! Have a nice day then.
                Comments are just comments. Just because I don't praise them for tying their shoelaces doesn't mean that what I say can't be heard. They either listen or they don't. It's their choice. I'm not going to go on saying how everything is great when I think otherwise. There's enough of that going around lately. A little honesty might sting, but it's better than false praise.
                Not everything is perfect in BGF. Everyone expects that. I find the gameplay the crux of the problem.

Comment

You have a right to post things you don't like, and we have just as much of a right to refute these things. We coded the mod, so we know what went in.

Characters are stiff
                  we use the same skeleton from BF2 that everyone else does. I'm not sure what you mean by "stiff" but they move the same as a BF2 soldier does.

Weapons don't feel right. Sights, projectile , recoil, etc. need a redo or complete overhaul.
                  sorry you don't like the weapons,but they are as right as they wil get in a video game. This is your personal opinon, and should be stated as such...instead of making it sound like this is a bug. Many others seem to like them just fine.
                  You could have offered it as a suggestion, or even questioned why we did things like we did, instead of proclaiming it garbage.

Same thing goes for vehicles. Speeds, velocity, damage, armor need a work over.
                  our speeds are realistic and correct for each vehicle, and can be tested by adding a speed HUD to them (which is how they were coded in the first place). A lot of people don't like this, because they are used to the extremely fast speeds of BF2, but this in no way makes our speeds wrong.
                  The velocity of the shells is exactly 1/2 of the real life velocity, since the maps are 1/2 scaled in BF2. They match up quite nice.
                  Our damage system could use some work, and it is getting some tweaks done to it.
                  The armor is again realistic. Most people will say our tanks are the strong point of this mod, and are enjoying them immensely, so again, please state that this is your opinion.

The previous poster mentioned the jump being gimped and he wasn't kidding. Seriously, walking all the way around a barrier [an ordinary fence] (and there are a lot of them) is not justifiable.
                  hmmm, I guess you are pissed at the developers of CoD, or MoHAA, or BiA, or any number of other video games for not letting you get passed certain obstacles? I use fences on my maps to prevent your passage into certain areas. It controls the gameflow and forces the map to play a certain way. I can channel frontal assaults, like I did on Mekensievy-Gory, that play like the original battle would have been. Not all mappers on the team do this, however, and then it does become a nuisence to run into fences.
                  In our next patch, you will be able to crawl under some fences (not all), but we will not increase the already very realistic jump height. It has more ramifications in the game than just jumping on statics, as you should know. A 1m jump height is an extremely fair height to jump, while wearing a military unform, and carrying a gun and other supplies/equipment.

I hope this answered some of your issues, but I fear you didn't come here for answers...

Comment

After watching the BGF WIP for a year or more I am delighted it's finally been released to us greedy gamers! Kudos to creative, generous and brave modders!

+ Wide release for download ( I got it at gamershell in 15 mins)
                    + impressive sound effects
                    + some interesting custom maps
                    + nice range of statics and vehicles
                    + the KV2 !!
                    + PPSh doesn't have the ridiculous recoil of RO! ;-)
                    + planes are easy and fun to fly with a mouse
                    + Very patient modding team who listen to constructive comments - already I have seen most of my wishlist acknowledged for next release. ie. crawling under most fences, no stealing enemy vehicles. When is this release BTW? =)

- gameplay is very much whack-the-mole style. I understand the devs don't currently have a python programmer to implement this. Let's hope one volunteers his/her time. BGF often feels very arcadey without focused fighting.

Suggestions :
                    - Germans need a semi-auto rifle. Russian SVT is deadly.
                    - Is there kit limiting? Didn't see it mentioned in the manual.

Overall I wish to say well done lads. And thanks! I have even been suggesting to players in PR (Australia) to give it a go via VOIP. (Hope I don't get into trouble for that!)

Originally posted by takiwa View Post
                    hmmm, I guess you are pissed at the developers of CoD, or MoHAA, or BiA, or any number of other video games for not letting you get passed certain obstacles? I use fences on my maps to prevent your passage into certain areas. It controls the gameflow and forces the map to play a certain way. I can channel frontal assaults, like I did on Mekensievy-Gory, that play like the original battle would have been.
                    With all due respect for your time making the mod and sharing it with us, that argument doesn't quite stand up IMO. Your mod is an open-form multi-player game. It should encourage free form play as much as possible. Single player games often use barriers to make up for weak AI and to channel gameplay into epic AI set-pieces. However even they are beginning to break out of this limitation (cf.MOH:Airborne).

The trouble with the BF2 engine is that AFAIK no-one has been able to program the possibility of mantling (climbing) walls and fences. So we are left with two unsatisfactory options : of ridiculous jump height over barriers (vanilla BF2 and PR) or virtually no surmounting of barriers in BFG.

I don't know what the answer is. It is tragic to me that BF2 cannot include mantling somehow.. but at least if you are going to make it impossible for a player to jump an obstacle, please do not make it look like a fence with crossbars_perfectly_positioned for climbing. It is most counter-intuitive and reduces the immersion considerably.

Comment

congrats on the release guys and try to ignore the bs

Comment

You have a right to post things you don't like, and we have just as much of a right to refute these things. We coded the mod, so we know what went in...
                        I hope this answered some of your issues, but I fear you didn't come here for answers...
                        No, let me get one thing straight. Everything I posted was just a personal opinion. I played the same game as everyone else so I feel like my comments are as valid as the next (as a non-professional point of view). So excuse me for not being more eloquent in my posting and making such things clearer. I never intended it to be a flame just for the sake of it.
                        Just to put things in perspective I hated the first PR release. I never posted anything about why I didn't like it. To me it was just that bad. I brushed it off and only went back to it after they released a couple more releases. Now, only after they established what I thought was a solid game did I say anything about it. And it's turned out to be one of my favorite mods of all times - For all games. I'm still saying my peace over there ,occasionally, about things I don't like.

I hope you didn't expect everyone to blow smoke up your ***. Look point is you are doing something you like.. we like (to some degree or another)... so I hope you take negative comments with a grain of salt. I don't recommend blowing all of them off. There may be something in there you can benefit from hearing. If not, do your own thing and good luck with that too.

PS. I do get annoyed from barricades in other games that seem senseless. Just as I do seeing vehicles that are there for decoration. Thankfully, you don't have that. PPS I never want there to be a high jump. I am a fan of those old R6s so crawling over or under suites me much better.

Comment

hmmm, I guess you are pissed at the developers of CoD, or MoHAA, or BiA, or any number of other video games for not letting you get passed certain obstacles? ...
                          As I rember there was special button in COD to get over obstacles and even had a special animation...Do I play those games now? The answer is no...

And some more thoughts:

If you ask me then I´m all for reality, but sometimes people are more belivers than god himself

And I just wanted to say personally thanks to this guy who made the statics- its very well done and seems authentic :salute:

Talking about more realistic mod, I really want to smash houses with my panzer and NOT beeing stuck in small bush

Comment

I get only 5 servers up in the browser - I type in BG or BGF and amend the filters, but still only a handfull of servers are available.....one with around 60 folks on it, the rest around 20 out of 64... ?

Comment

Congrats on the release.

I understand about funneling action using statics, but why not use taller walls instead of seemingly jump over-able sandbags? Just a thought.

Man, I wish this engine could handle better tracers. This mod is aching for decent tracers!

Comment

Originally posted by Killer_Kommando_ View Post
                                How can I get the mod to run in widescreen? Editing the shortcut to the bat file with +menu 1 +widescreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050 does nothing, and trying to get it to launch with the /mod bgf does nothing either. Any ideas?
                                I never could get any BF2 game/mod to run at anything higher than 1440*900

As for the mod, I'll wait for a future release, as one of the original posters, I feel it could use a little polish. I have everything running on high detail in widescreen and I don't really like the look.

Great job otherwise though, I couldn't have done any better! :salute:

PEACE

Here is a small list of the things I like and dislike (pros and cons)

. I ran the game at 1440x900 with everything pushed up to the limit (high on everything incl. AA and AP). I even tried editing the config file to try out the extra high but I still felt as if the textures were, i dunno, not as nice as I expected? I don't like comparing, but I see the textures from a mod like POe2 and I am amazed, but this leaves me, I dunno, less than impressed.

. I chose the Allied anti-tank kit and was surprised to see there were no bazookas. I was able to put mines down, but what was extremely frustrating was spawning in a house with only one exit and a fenced in yard with only one exit. This made the tank who sat not far a way an easy predator. He didn't move the entire time because nobody could get close to him...he knew there was only one way out, and that people couldn't jump.

. Of all the mods I have tried, this is the only one that has completely frozen my PC. It locked up completely. I removed my cache files afterwards and it seemed to help, but I stopped playing out of frustration. It froze while connecting, twice. bug? (i'll leave system specs at bottom of message)

. I REALLY liked the accuracy of the rifles, but found the iron-sights a little bland.

. Are there bazookas/variants in this mod? If not, why include tanks? If there are, do we pick them up as special kits?

. The sounds are great! The map designs are nice, but frustrating not having multiple paths for entry/exit since you can't really jump over anything.

I got really frustrated playing this with a couple friends who all agreed with me that they will either, a) wait for a next release or b) wait for a next release! Seriously, the effort is well appreciated, but it seems to me that there could be much more to it. I'm not a pro, so I can't offer much more opinion than what I did.

I may play again tonight to give it another try, but our concensus was to wait it out until a future release. I wouldn't go as far as saying the textures were "cartoon", but I have seen what great textures/models look like. i.e POE2's raptor isn't that nice compared to other vehicles in the game, but the game itself rocks.

I want a WWII game/mod to play, and I'm happy that it is free, but I have to agree with some of the posters that I am not overly impressed. Please don't rip on me for voicing my opinion, I tried my best to offer positive criticism.

Here are my specs:
                                3500+ on A8N-e
                                2gb DDr400
                                too much HDD space to discuss, but main drive running on Raptor 10k 74gb
                                MSI 7800gt 256mb running drivers from october i think?
                                everything set to full at 1440x900; typical FPs is 50-60
                                windows XP 32bit

PEACE

Comment

Working...
                                X