Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extreme lag while flying a heli

Originally posted by MooneyBravo
    From what I've seen it has only come around in the latest patches. This lag was not present when the expansion first came out. I'm using an Audigy 2 with the latest drivers from Creative...including the OpenAL stuff.

Maybe we should test to see if this is present when sound is disabled?

I did a little testing. The stutter goes away when sound quality is set to LOW, (but everything sounds like pants) is there moderately at Med and at High is the worst. With Hardware or Software selected it does not make that much difference. However my FPS as reported with Fraps is better when Hardware is selected.

EAX likewise does not seem to make a difference in the stutter. I lose about 5 FPS between Med and High settings.

I am also using the latest drivers and during my testing I installed the latest OpenAL32.dll wrapper into the BF2 directory per this tutorial. [ http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic...ight=pilot+lag ]

This helped reduce the stutter, but it has not gone away. If you follow this tutorial and place the OpenAL32.dll in your BF2 directory and rename it BF2OpenAL.dll (notice "32" is remove) you will see you have no audio at the first BF2 startup past the log in. Just go to your audio settings and select the audio options you want and restart the game. I also believe this improved the sound quality.

However I still have some stutter. Anyone with anymore ideas? I do believe it is tied somehow to your audio drivers/card/settings. But why is there no problems with Vanilla BF2 or Euro Forces when piloting a helicopter? DICE, EA anyone?

I normally had a steady FPS of 90+ with Low settings, 80's with Med and 75 with High. Hardware setting improved this about 5 FPS over Software setting. I used our own BF2 Ranked server set to 18 slot with a ping of less then 40, and I have a 10 MBPS Cable connection with a 1MBPS upload rate. I should have no lag.

My rig is in my sig block.

Comment

I have the same problem with the helo thing, I have 2gigs of ram and a 7800gt, I get lag like crazzy when i fly helos, i really remember it flying a hind

Comment

I did the OpenAL stuff to BF2 months ago.

But all this playing around with settings just for two helicopters when the rest are fine? I'm sure the problem isn't with us...I just wish SF was still being supported because the chance of this being fixed is very slim. Maybe if we replaced the sound files for the Hind/Apache with the ones from other helis? Could be worth a shot.

Comment

what do you mean? EA doesnt support SF now?

Comment

Its not network lag but more on the video and engine side of the expansion pack. There is a AGP setting that helps some if you are running one of those cards but other than that EA just sucks at troubleshooting. Will post the fix to this prob.(that a non-EA guy found very easily) when I find it again.

Comment

Look this has happened from day 1 SF. There are plenty of threads in here about it. Its only the pilot seat slide show as I call it. Drives me nuts and they are virtually unflyable.

I bought SF so I could fly the new helis and so far only had 1 round where for some reason I had no lag. I have tried every fix that I can think of and nothing has worked. Sound on low was one of them and its no different.

DICE/EA have brushed their hands and not supporting SF anymore so this problem looks like it will never be fixed so that's money down the drain for me. That's why I didn't buy EF and won't buy AF and 2142 can also kiss my a$$

Comment

Originally posted by <<R2>>Capt.HKS
                Look this has happened from day 1 SF. There are plenty of threads in here about it. Its only the pilot seat slide show as I call it. Drives me nuts and they are virtually unflyable.

I bought SF so I could fly the new helis and so far only had 1 round where for some reason I had no lag. I have tried every fix that I can think of and nothing has worked. Sound on low was one of them and its no different.

DICE/EA have brushed their hands and not supporting SF anymore so this problem looks like it will never be fixed so that's money down the drain for me. That's why I didn't buy EF and won't buy AF and 2142 can also kiss my a$$
                Yea,,..... you know, this is a reproducable bug that affects many. Why has it not been fixed? But strangely there are some in our group that have no problems piloting the helicopters in SF. Why and what is the difference.

Comment

I know, though more seem to have the problem than not. A couple in our clan can fly without any lag whilst the overwhelming majority can't. I haven't been able to figure out why either because the system specs vary greatly. For instance 1 guy has a P4 3.0 2gig RAM and only an ATI 9600XT with 128meg, the other guy has a 3500+ with 2 gig RAM and an ATI x1900 512meg but both of these guys don't seem to get any lag. So if it was only the guy with the good system I could understand. But a 9600XT being able to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by <<R2>>Capt.HKS
                    I know, though more seem to have the problem than not. A couple in our clan can fly without any lag whilst the overwhelming majority can't. I haven't been able to figure out why either because the system specs vary greatly. For instance 1 guy has a P4 3.0 2gig RAM and only an ATI 9600XT with 128meg, the other guy has a 3500+ with 2 gig RAM and an ATI x1900 512meg but both of these guys don't seem to get any lag. So if it was only the guy with the good system I could understand. But a 9600XT being able to do it?
                    Yes exactly, that is why I have given up on the idea that it is CPU/GPU [video card]/memory related and believe it has to do with your audio. Either the card or drivers. There has to be a sound file that is looped that does not like certain audio card/driver combinations. A good analysis of those that have no problems vs those that do may pinpoint the problem. I have an Audigy 2ZS gamer with the most current creative driver set, for a gamers audio setup I am sure I have the most common.

I can get the lag to completely go away when I set audio quality to Low. The OpenGL32.DLL tweak as mentioned above, helped.

If we (as a community) could figure it out and slap some reproducible facts in EA/Dice's face, then possibly they could trace down and fix the problem in their code, on an expansion that they obviously don't want to expend much time/man hours to fix. I want to see this fix in patch 1.3 or it very likely many never happen.

Comment

I have a fix for this problem, delete bf2's xpack cache, start a singleplayer game and let it "optimize shaders" and try again. The helo bug goes away when I do that.

Comment

I have a fix for this problem, delete bf2's xpack cache, start a singleplayer game and let it "optimize shaders" and try again. The helo bug goes away when I do that.
                        Are you sure?

Comment

Here's the deal with the sound. The guy with the 3.0 and 9600XT was using an Audigy but was having problems using VOIP and TS at the same time so he ended up pulling the Audigy and running on onboard sound. I think the other guy with the good system runs an Xfi not sure I will check but.

Everyone I spoke to having problems all have Nvidia cards. The 2 guys with no problems have ATI cards. Could it be related to the vid cards after all?

Everyone, atleast that has their specs listed has Nvidia cards. Anyone get the pilot seat slideshow with ATI cards?

Comment

ya I get the slideshow maybe 30% of the time.
                            I have a x800xt-pe using 5.11 drivers.
                            "Crunch's First Officer"
                            twitter: @signaprime

Comment

I get this as well, both in the gunner seat and pilot.
                              Tried medium settings and still lags
                              AMD 3500+
                              2GB (2x1GB)
                              7800GT
                              Hopefully EA will recognise that this is a BIG bug and needs sorting.

Comment

Just as long as the ship's sails are really big and colorful, it apparently doesn't matter if they're full of holes, does it?

Comment

Working...
                                X