1.22 - The AA is dummied down again...sigh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.22 - The AA is dummied down again...sigh

It was nice for a while. But it's back to lame-o-Karkland again. I just left Wake and couldn't hit a helo to save my life. Regardless of how good I "aimed", the missles went right passed the helo. Yet....his ammo seemed to find me no problem. Big ass helo in the air is hard to hit. Tiny ass infantry guy on the ground is easy to hit.

And don't even get me started on the jets that can't be taken down at all, ever, from the ground. I gave up on Oman due to the cyclical bombing runs. I could set my watch to it. And nothing could stop it.

Does anyone know of a similar game that's more balanced? BF2 is getting old. This certain death-from-the-air is getting old. Any suggestions appreciated.

Re: 1.22 - The AA is dummied down again...sigh

Ground forces should only be constantly pummelled by air forces if your air support is crappy. It's your team's fault, not DICE's.

Comment

There seems to be a new minimum manuver time on AA missiles. They fly straight for a fixed range before they start tracking.

This is a double edged sword.

If the missile travels past it's effective tracking angle to the target before it starts tracking... well, it doesn't track.

On the otherhand, it allows you to dumbfire your missiles directly into choppers even if they drop flares.

This seems to be creating confussion on both sides of the equasion.

Comment

Originally posted by unununium
        Ground forces should only be constantly pummelled by air forces if your air support is crappy. It's your team's fault, not DICE's.
        I said nothing about air support. I only mentioned the AA turret. Is THAT supposed to be dependent on my air support capabilities?

Comment

Originally posted by Boojie
          I said nothing about air support. I only mentioned the AA turret. Is THAT supposed to be dependent on my air support capabilities?
          Over half of your post discussed how unbalanced the air units are compared to the ground ones.

I gave up on Oman due to the cyclical bombing runs. I could set my watch to it. And nothing could stop it.

Does anyone know of a similar game that's more balanced? BF2 is getting old. This certain death-from-the-air is getting old. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
            There seems to be a new minimum manuver time on AA missiles. They fly straight for a fixed range before they start tracking.

This is a double edged sword.

If the missile travels past it's effective tracking angle to the target before it starts tracking... well, it doesn't track.

On the otherhand, it allows you to dumbfire your missiles directly into choppers even if they drop flares.

This seems to be creating confussion on both sides of the equasion.
            So if the helo is close, I can't hit it. But if the helo is close, he can hit me?

I can't take him down with any gun. Or a grenade. Or a medic bag. All I have at my disposal (on the ground) is a vehicle or the AA turret. So you're saying all I have, in reality, is a vehicle.

nice.

Comment

Not to debunk your AA theory... but IMO the best defence against choppers has always been the 50 cal. They have always been a better chopper deterant and even more so now, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RingMasTeR
                Not to debunk your AA theory... but IMO the best defence against choppers has always been the 50 cal. They have always been a better chopper deterant and even more so now, I think.
                Yeah. Get one person on AT and one on the .50 cal and you have a silent chopper killing machine.

Comment

Originally posted by RingMasTeR
                  Fair enough. So let's just take the AA turret off the map. It's useless. Providing it is nothing more than a sucker's bet. "Look at that fool get in that turret...he thinks it'll actually hit something".

Comment

So if the helo is close, I can't hit it. But if the helo is close, he can hit me?

I can't take him down with any gun. Or a grenade. Or a medic bag. All I have at my disposal (on the ground) is a vehicle or the AA turret. So you're saying all I have, in reality, is a vehicle.

nice.
                    No... if the helo is close, shoot straight at him. You've got a higher chance to nail him with well aimed dumbfire missiles than if you're counting on tracking since they'll ignore flares.

Besides, vehicle mounted .50 cal, tank main cannons, and APCs are all very effective ways to slap choppers outta the air.

Chopper's most certainly are not overpowered anymore. Planes... well, the reduced AA tracking range is a bit of a pain. I could see that being extended a bit... but it's up for debate.

For the most part, refer to the comment(s) about air domination. If your team has lost air supiriourity, you're in for a rough time... and I don't see that as being a flaw in the system.

Comment

Good luck taking out that jet with a Vodnik!

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
                        No... if the helo is close, shoot straight at him.
                        Gimpy...I did. Multiple times. Got killed, came back to the AA turret. Got killed, came back to the AA turret. I'm sober. I had the audible lock. He was in clear view. It would not hit him.

This isn't about air superiority or about anything else going on elsewhere on the battlefield. This is AA turret vs. a helo (or jets, but I've given up on jets).

Comment

Originally posted by rsgx
                          Good luck taking out that jet with a Vodnik!
                          Hehe... the other night I bagged 2 F-15s with a Vodnik on Cleansweep!

Yeah, I was shocked too.

Comment

Who's for replacing Stinger/IGLA sites with Flak/AA Machine guns? =P

Comment

Originally posted by DaveOnrefni
                              Who's for replacing Stinger/IGLA sites with Flak/AA Machine guns? =P
                              I am. (Whatever that means).

Better yet, nix the jets.

Comment

Working...
                              X