Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is "NOOB" the new "N" Word?

Originally posted by RimReaper
    Every second word on all the forums I read is "NOOB". At first it was a funny insult, the likes of "smacktard" and "dicknose", but now it has just become a filler, in the absence of a good zinger that would otherwise have a chance.

I motion that we lay this insult to rest, and move on to something "fresh" It has served us well, but it's time we put it's picture on "Poncho's Wall", down a shot, and say "So long chum"

So please let it go...
    Or should we conteplate the deeper meanings. Learn the difference between newb and n00b?

Comment

About the "n00b" being taken from CS. I havent played CS nearly that much, never saw "n00b" on the text (Total CS time of my life- ~100 hours, 75 of them from LAN games). Then again, I was in Russian servers and oh my god can we talk dirty... no need for "n00b" if you can say a million other words that are already a part of your vocablary.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse
        Or should we conteplate the deeper meanings. Learn the difference between newb and n00b?

I believe that the fundamental difference between n00b and newb is that of academic ability rather than meaning.
        Someone who always spells correctly will be forced by there own self discipline to use as close to proper spelling and grammar as possible even when attempting to use slang, such as newb. I do not believe the spelling defines the meaning as such although it may be fair to suggest that most academics will lead a more privileged lifestyle and quite probably talk ‘posh’, which must be taken into consideration.
        Those less well disciplined in academia will find that shape and form are of more importance than correct grammar or spelling. The ‘n00b’ user will most likely also call friends ‘mate’ and possibly shop at Lidl.

Comment

"Noon" definatly predates CS. I recall it being commonly used back in my early Tribes days... primarly to discribe anyone you refered to skiing as an exploite (although, it acutally was... it was just and very cool and accepted exploit of the physics system).

I think my biggest shocker was hearing someone using the term in public to discribe a non-gaming related mishap. Funny how cultures tend to bleed into one another, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
            "Noon" definatly predates CS. I recall it being commonly used back in my early Tribes days... primarly to discribe anyone you refered to skiing as an exploite (although, it acutally was... it was just and very cool and accepted exploit of the physics system).

I think my biggest shocker was hearing someone using the term in public to discribe a non-gaming related mishap. Funny how cultures tend to bleed into one another, eh?
            I use the n-word in RL all the time hehe. Specially with my close friends, it's like a friendly teaser :P

"Sup n00blars?" ^^

Comment

yes. i use noob in real life as well.

however.. I have one.. how does "boon" sound? i know its not real creative noob backwards...(rhymes with poon and spoon) lol however... there is a twist...

boon - (a favour, a blessing, something fervently wished for.)

I don't know about you guys.. but nothing makes me happier than seeing a private or pfc running at me with his weapon out. easy kill.

therefore... i submit..

BooN.

Comment

I've been in a noob-calling mood lately. It just amuses me how mad and offended people get about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chowley
                  Enemy noob spotted?.
                  "Enemy noobs on the move"

Now that's funny. :laugh:

Comment

“STFU noob, learn to play. WTF im l337”

- Oscar Wilde on n00bs

N00b

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp

LOL. I dont think its "normal" though, but its definitely funny.

"Pure pwnage" reference- youve seen episode 2 where a bunch of girls are asked about gaming? "n00b" makes it appearance there aswell.

Comment

Noob:
                        What a noob-caller means:
                        "You, my digital acquaintence, have clearly wasted too much time on this so-called 'real-life' thing and are clearly no match for my keenly honed mouse clicking reflexes. Your inferiority is clearly evidenced by the fact that your sig block does not approach the digital equivalent of my sig block. You have been served."
                        What the person being called a noob hears:
                        "Put down the Mountain Dew and the pizza long enough to leave your parent's basement you pathetic $hit and realize that you may be uber on your side of the sparkly screen, but I pwn yer sorry ass in real life. Game over."

Comment

asshat...now THAT's one I won't get tired of :laugh:

Comment

Noobs a good word. People use it to vent they're anger rather than a swear word. Prefer it to 'wtf you doing u stupid twat?'

Comment

I want to know what will take the place of the "N" word. I hardly ever use it myself but when I do its usually because some guy or girl has stole my plane or something and ran it into a tree, so the term is kinda needid. I dont freak out or anything, I just simply call them a noob and laugh at them :laugh:

but anyways what should the new word be?

I like "Pud loaf"

Comment

Mongbat.... you goddam mongbat! That'd make a good sn....

I'm bored.

Comment

Working...
                                X