No announcement yet.

Frightening pictures of x360 version, think I have to change my opinion, Yikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frightening pictures of x360 version, think I have to change my opinion, Yikes

Well having just hooked my new wireless keyborad up to my new 360 I am less sure about sticking strictly to racing games and sports for XBOX 360 and FPS and strategy for PC...

Now if only someone coded a game that would make use of the wireless mouse too it would be sorted...

As for the looks of the games people forget the 360 is on it's first round of games the release ones that where ficished to a deadline before the release machine was availble. The second generation and so on will only get better...

Now I have been a faithful PC gamer for many years but the 360 is really a nice machine (and it really is at heart just a PC)...

Comment

Re: Frightening pictures of x360 version, think I have to change my opinion, Yikes

BF2:MC isn't that good

Watch the vid too.

BF2 got a 5 out of 5 while BF2:MC got a 3 out of 5

Comment

there's VERY little originality in consol games
        One of the lamest generalizing and ignorant statements I have read. I wouldnt pay any attention if it was written by a youngling, but meh, I guess even people at least some age can get terribly wrong.

Wargimp, youre right, there is a cycle. But youd be another blatant fanboy if you think graphics is all it takes to hook people up to a game.

Im a player whos priorities are "Story>everything else". MP games are play are solely because certain (2 actually) MP games are actually good enough to get you hooked. The only great games I remember playing on PC for their story that werent blatantly idiotic were Half-Life 1, FEAR, Half-Life 2 and Cold Fear, note that Cold Fear is a port and Half Life 2 in the end is a miserable failure story-wise. So in the end its Half-Life 1 and FEAR. Im also taking under advisement that FEAR was pretty overhyped. But its story was simply magnificent. Now, since I only have 2 games that are story-wise original and simply put awesome, I have a whole variety and a huge selection on my PS2 that kicked ass and got me stunned on how well can some people create story. And please, gameplay wise, theres not many a game can do to "fundamentally" differ from others. You have to remember that. PC+Broadband, thats the formula used on PC market today. I dont see many games rely on their SP, but I see a lot of them rely on the MP feature. Thats where console games and PC games differ. By the end of the day, whats so different about BF2 compared to others? Only the modern combat multiplayer gameplay, but its nothing groundbreakingly different now is it? Looking even further, successful PC games are mostly those that take use of the broadband connection, they are only fun to play with on the internet with other people. If you take that away, they are deadboring, totally, totally mindkillingly boring. I remember when I had to change my ISP I had no internet, I think I only played a game of StarCraft with the AI. Others were collecting dust. But again, PS2 had something to offer. When net was plugged back in, MP FPS was back on the menu, but not their SPs. That basically tells you how original they are. I have played MGS games through many times but I cant force myself to replay any PC major title SP game.

G´damn this went onto ranting pretty fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
          One of the lamest generalizing and ignorant statements I have read. I wouldnt pay any attention if it was written by a youngling, but meh, I guess even people at least some age can get terribly wrong.
          I didn't say there was NO originality, I said there is very little.
          There's also a very good reason for this. The consol market is tightly controled by the makers of the consols. In order to develop, you need to pay a lisencing fee. That fee is very high. Thus, your costs for development jump.

Originality implies risk. Something new and untested is something that scares the bejezus outta investor types. They don't wanna take risks, they want safe bets. They want to fund projects that are based on proven market success. Ya wanna sell a project to the money guys? Describe as "It's like Doom3, but..." or "It's a sports game and everyone likes sports.".

Nintendo is one of the few exceptions to this. Historicly, they've been a little more free to take risks and develop some interesting things because they could aford ta lose some bucks. Those days are gone, tho. They took too many and lost their market.

Before chucking random insults about observations made by someone who has had first hand experiance, how about providing some information?

The rest of your post is barely readable and lacking in much logic, so I won't bother to adress it... other than to say, I didn't take sides. I only pointed out some industry FACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by usapatriot
            XBOX 360 Will Eventually Pwn PC Games.

No Doubt.

360 has 3 x 3.2Ghz cores <<<<this right there does it.
            512mb of ram some for vid card
            Super Fast Vid Card
            12gb hardrive

hell if you have an hdtv you will get better graphics than on a pc.
            If the X260 will EVER "own" the PC then it will be now, not "Eventually".

The reason why no console has, or will (as of the current consoles + PS3) will own the PC is PCs ALWAYS get more advanced. Hell, new nVidia cards are due out in March, then ANOTHER set in June.

I already have 2x2.5Ghz (AMD) in my PC, with 2GB of RAM, and soom to be 512MB of Video RAM. This is what I have CURRENTLY. I'm not even going to bring up whats due out by the end of the year.

The X360 may be one of the best consoles, no doubt, but it will NEVER "own" the PC.

Comment

Another one!!??

Comment

Originally posted by Wargimp
                That fee is very high. Thus, your costs for development jump.
                One thing to remember though is that PC games rack up development cost from something totally different: The technology. There are TONS of proprietary engines and the like for console games, tons of games use recycled technology from the last entry. There is, overall, a lot of reuse. The technology behind PC games is changing so rapidly that you need to either make major changes every time you make a title, or pay someone else who makes those changes for you. Paying someone else means licensing a game engine or middleware, which is several hundred thousand in investment.

Let's not forget the tech support too, for the countless instances where your game doesn't run like it's supposed to on someone else's junkpiece, and the long-term commitment of supply updates and patches.... Blah.

Comment

Old'd someone posted them already. Enjoy your "8 player fun" on you live editions. I'm not going to start a console war but ffs, this game is best played for PC.

Comment

Before chucking random insults about observations made by someone who has had first hand experiance, how about providing some information?

The rest of your post is barely readable and lacking in much logic, so I won't bother to adress it... other than to say, I didn't take sides. I only pointed out some industry FACTS.
                    I LOL&#180;d here. FACTS? You didnt bring ANY facts except for random generalization. The point was not high development costs. The point is that (offtopic) its actually the PC market that lacks original quality games and they mostly rely on their MP. You bring in the licencing fees, this has nothing to do with licensing fees when most of the games are done by companies with a decent pocket. Its the ideas.

I didn't say there was NO originality, I said there is very little.
                    There's also a very good reason for this. The consol market is tightly controled by the makers of the consols. In order to develop, you need to pay a lisencing fee. That fee is very high. Thus, your costs for development jump.
                    Although I dont have a first hand experience in console business, but since most of my favourite games made and in progress are on consoles, there are things I take notice of. In the end its the development crew and the ideas. The game development companies have their money they can use. The fundamental difference is (as someone pointed out about FPSs and PCs), its pretty much accepted that PC=BroadBand connection= games with heavy MP influence. This is why games like Half Life (think CS), BF2, COD, SCB, blah too many, thrive. The console games are focused on something totally different. By their very nature, they have to be original to be successful.

Originality implies risk. Something new and untested is something that scares the bejezus outta investor types. They don't wanna take risks, they want safe bets. They want to fund projects that are based on proven market success. Ya wanna sell a project to the money guys? Describe as "It's like Doom3, but..." or "It's a sports game and everyone likes sports.".
                    Thats why I&#180;m telling that theres no need for waiting for a fundamental change in every game. When in movies there should be a different story, other than "white guy meets black guy", in games its those little extras in gameplay, its concept and whatnot. You said console games are not very original, yet I can already start with car sims/arcades that are totally different from each other, theres no point for details but my bro is playing carsims on the PC. TOCA series (werent those on console first?), and the most laughably "original" NFS series which are blatantly boring. PC games, for a player who isnt playing on the net- have little to nothing to offer. In a sense NFS is the cargames flagship on PCs, nwo compare it to the Playstation car game flagship Gran Turismo. I hope you get my point.
                    When we take great great games like FEAR and MGS3 (storywise), then what drove me to play FEAR again... is MP, its just not fun to play 13 hours of it again. MGS on the other hand has challenging difficulty modes and whatnot extras to unlock.

By the end of the day, I&#180;m still playing PC MP games. Its just more fun to play "with people" and "against people", more alive. This is why PC games have a strong future. For a MP gamer they offer a better platform. Switching on that lovely music on Media Player, chatting on MSN and in the same time fragging away. I see consoles gaming machines, PCs are entertainment machines. But saying one beats the other is pointless.

Nintendo is one of the few exceptions to this. Historicly, they've been a little more free to take risks and develop some interesting things because they could aford ta lose some bucks. Those days are gone, tho. They took too many and lost their market.
                    I agree. Somehow the GameCube was going to bring Nintendo out of teh kiddie-game-developer status but theres still a lot of Mario and his friends roaming around while PS2 for example offers a much wider variety for all ages. In a sense though, its unoriginality that killed the kitten. The way I see it, GC could have been a nice hit for them if they would have worked more with the 3rd party developers.

I wasnt going to insult anyone, but the laughably ignorant statement that console games lack in originality is what gets fanboys what they deserve. You made a comment out of nowhere. This surely means you actually have a lack of experience with console games in the first place.

Firstly I was never an expert and never claimed to be. My posts in this topic are 100% personal observations from a gamers point of view and thus can always be overthrown. They were never meant to be as facts but as opinions and I have specially presented them that way to be clear. You on the other hand claim something as a fact where clearly it is not. If It was a simple mistake, fine we all do that, but you made an ignorant generalizing statement that is why fanboys get slapped.

Sir. Shpox
                    Old'd someone posted them already. Enjoy your "8 player fun" on you live editions. I'm not going to start a console war but ffs, this game is best played for PC.
                    You dont need to start a console war when youre saying whats simple and is common sense.

Comment

I'd be more impressed if those pics werent renderings and if I was one of the morons who camped outside of Best Buy to get a 360. If its anything like modern combat was I'd count on it sucking, minus snow maps of course.

Comment

those screenshots look ok, one thing thats good about console games is that most games look smoother than pc counterparts, imo smoother console-like picture looks more realistic than sharp pc gfxs. it may cause a decrease in detail but adds reallife feel to it.

too bad controls (joypad) on consoles are way too inaccurate for fps type games.

Comment

way to blurry

Comment

Bloom and Photoshop.
                            Also, those are x360 emulator screenshots taken from a workstation emulating xbox360 for devs. We'll see how it looks and performs on the real deal.
                            Have fun with your consoles and 80$ games. I'll stick to my workstation.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaNut
                              Bloom and Photoshop.
                              Also, those are x360 emulator screenshots taken from a workstation emulating xbox360 for devs. We'll see how it looks and performs on the real deal.
                              Have fun with your consoles and 80$ games. I'll stick to my workstation.
                              Gamestop offers used games for <10 $

Comment

My bad, lol

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X