Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a new graphics card.

Hi there.

Im running with a Gecube radeon x700 256 mb Graphics card But I think it's time for a new card.

I'm willing to spend upto 250-350 $ on one. I prefer Ati cards but I'm willing to go with an Nvidia card if it will give me better performance. Im not too uptodate with graphic cards but I believe my radeon x700 is a bit out of date.

Anyway, I'm living in Australia and need your opinions on which card would be suitable.

Any sites would be great but I currently use this one:

Gamedude Computers has a large selection of computers and components available at our Brisbane store and we also ship Australia Wide.

Thanks in advance for your help

I currently have 1 gig of corsair ddr2 ram.
    Intel 560 CPU 3.0 ghz
    Abit AA8XE mobo

Re: Time for a new graphics card.

HIS RADEON X800-GTO 256meg PCI Express Platinum Pack - ICE-QII - TURBO R480 0.13 process

was the best one I could find within that price range on the site you listed. 280$ wth a Artic Silencer and great performance. I also think there is a way to unlock some pipelines and OC it to a x850 performance. The 6800gs I would have chosen but it was about 340$.

GECUBE ATi RADEON X1600XT Dual DVI,DDR2, 256MB, AVIVO Edition Model: RX1600XTG2-D3

This is the card ^ designed to compete with the 6800GS, so either this or the first one I posted are your best choices.

The 6800gS is only 200$ here, so it should be 350$ in Australia, but w/e.

Comment

buy an nvidia or you will regret it. Believe me.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJordus
        buy an nvidia or you will regret it. Believe me.
        not true

Comment

Originally posted by sackynut
          not true

Its true.

The X800/X850 series cards are **** and im not risking buying another ATI while Nvidia cards are fine.

Comment

believe me capt jordus IS true.

buy a 6800 GS or 7800, they own the ati cards, and never deal with the horrible ATI drivers ever again!

especially for BF2 you want nvidia, they basically screwed ATI. my super tech savvy friend with his 5000 dollar mainframe computer confirms this.

Comment

dont buy the x1600xt its doesnt come close to a 6800gs or a x800gto

as sackynut said x800gto will be the best for you
              or if you want to save a couple more $ go for the 6800gs

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJordus
                Its true.

The X800/X850 series cards are **** and im not risking buying another ATI while Nvidia cards are fine.

yeah that's why they beat the 6800 series in 3dmark05 ???

Comment

Originally posted by redearedslider
                  OKAY ALL FANBOYS STFU. ATI is known for getting better scores in 3dmark than their counterparts. ALSO! Just because it gets a better score in 3dmark doesnt mean crap! 3dmark is not a friggin game it is a benchmarking program which uses basic DX9!

Deathmerchant said "dont buy the x1600xt its doesnt come close to a 6800gs or a x800gto ". The x1600xt is meant to challenge the 6800GS, and yes, it doesnt not perform as well but it DOES come close.

read that article PLEASE!
                  The ATi drivers may have some problems, but come on, just because you had an issue and couldnt figure it out doesnt mean anything. Ati cards are fine, it works like this: The more money you pay, the better performance you get.
                  The 9800pro is known for being one of the best AGP cards for a while before the x850 came out. You most likely had something like a crappy 9250, couldnt play BF2 and cried about it.

BTW I am neither a ATi or nVIDIA fan boy. I wanted SLi, and crossfire wasnt out at the time. For a single card, I would have definitly went with ATi, but of course, I wanted two.

Comment

Hey, I am in a really bad mood because I just wasted 130 on a GeForce 6200 oc (AGP) 256mb and I am very concerned about how it is working, any ideas? I know it is not supported, what will be the result of that? I have 512 RAM , do u think I need more?

Comment

$130 in what currency

Comment

Before anyone gives recomendations, it would be good to know what kind of CPU you have, how much ram, etc etc. We don't even know if you need AGP or pci-e?

What resolution do you intend to play at? Are you going to use AA?

Comment

in usd, i live in Mass. i am really ****ed tho...

Comment

lol, the 6200 can play bf2 dont worry, even with 512 ram. But, if you spent extra money for the "oc" on it, you got ripped off. OCing the 6200 wont do jack... =(. well i mean, it will, but almost no performance increase.

Comment

Originally posted by redearedslider

Thats why ATI takes shortcuts and uses **** textiles to make their stuff.

My ATI Radeon x800 Pro is a whopping TERD!

It overheats under almost any load.

Using the ATI Catalyst overdrive (overclock) feature which is a measly 30mhz or so, creates artifacts all over the windows desktop forcing windows to have to be restarted to fix it.

The card is built like a peice of **** and i would have expected more from a product they want 400$ for.

I'm going back to Nvidia ASAP because they actually build a good product, one that will last and last. Even if its benchmarks (theoretical performance tests anwyay) are slightly lower.

Comment

Working...
                              X