NEW NVIDIA Driver fixed my LAG in BF2SF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NEW NVIDIA Driver fixed my LAG in BF2SF

BEST WAY TO INSTALL NEW VIDEO DRIVERS, Uninstall old drivers through Control Panel add or remove programs, or with DRIVER CLEANER, [google it its free], delete the entire BF2 folder in MY DOCUMENTS. Empty recycling bin, reboot. Cancel the windows found new hardware. Turn off virus scan. Reinstall New Driver, Reboot. Go into properties and adjust video card settings, resolution etc. [ you can turn off vertical sync if you like ]. Rerun BF2 it will create a NEW/clean BF2 folder in my documents.

Comment

Originally posted by tsh2005
      "Just so you know, having vsync on only maxes your fps to your monitors refresh rate.
      So if you have a monitor that can handle 85Hz at your desired resolution (1024x768) it's best to leave vsync on to get less texture tearing and other strange visual effects.

Point being, if your comp can't get any higher than 50 fps in BF2 for example, turning vsync off won't make it any higher unless of course your monitors refresh rate maxes out at 50Hz."

No

That is not how vsync works

Say you get a normal FPS of 53 in bf2 then you turn on vsync with a refresh rate of 85

This will then only give you an fps of 42.. if you go below this then your fps will drop into the 20s

Only way to make vsync not hurt fps its to force triple buffering for d3d games and opengl when you play

From what i know Ati can only enable triple buffering in d3d and opengl

Dont know what nvidia has

Dont know why people say vsync cant kill fps..

Its not like you cap it at 85 and you will get 85

Only way for this to happen is if you always get 85 fps or above

If you often drop below that then 42 fps

thank you ATI for tripple buffering

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/10,42.html

http://www.d-silence.com/video/vsync1.shtml

Comment

Now I'm very confused..... some ppl say that the 77.xx, some say the 81.8x is the best choice. The only thing that I'm very sure the the last 2 drivers 82.8x SUX and they do no good for a 6800GT user...

my exp:
        81.85: 25-30fps, max ~40
        81.89: 25-40fps, ~max 70-80
        the strange thing is that when I look at one point my fps is realy high, but when I turn (slowly) it drops to ****.

and I also have to notice that any drivers thats newer than 81.85, decreases your perfomance in 3DMark05 with ~11% !!

ps.: I have tried 77.77 but it still sux O_o

Comment

Originally posted by CombatWombat
          but i cannot find any fix-notes in the release notes of the driver
          That's because there were none. I talked to the guys at BFG and they confirmed this, there is no reason to install the new drivers unless you have a 5950 ultra.

Comment

AS far as vertical sync goes, It was my understanding that if you look at the STRAIGHT LINES and EDGES, vertical sync keeps them smooth, with it OFF your edges become a little jagged. If you turn OFF vertical sync, your frames per second [FPS] will increase by a noticable difference. Also with Vert sync OFF your FPS will skip around and Not stay at a fixed point, ie. you will have a variance of say 40-80, instead of 40-45 FPS. They will also change [FPS] depending on the detail of your picture. Example, a large forest will have a larger drop in FPS compared to say looking at the sky or a wall which may also increase FPS because of the lack of detail.

AS far as the new drivers go, just make sure you follow my thread on them and you will be fine, if you don't you will have mixed drivers or an incomplete install and configuring.

Comment

Working...
            X