The meaning of Skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The meaning of Skill

It's not about quantity, but quality: you could play hundreds of hours and still have less skill than someone with higher intelligence and adaptability who's only been playing for a fraction of your total time. Topics like this should spark a mind at DICE into optimizing the ranking system, though I question what it would change at this point...

Comment

I don't know if "seeing an advantage, and uses it" means skilled in this sense. What if someone obviously spawn camps, and takes out players as soon as they pop on the screen, when thier backs are turned. I don't see that as skill, but as someone knowing the faults of a game. Anyone can spawn camp.

Skill is having the ability to do something that most others cannot.

Yes, if you can't tell, spawn camping is a pet peeve of mine!

Comment

I guess it depends. I tend to blame the game, not the player for things like spawn camping. But spawning on a squad leader eliminates the camping anyway, or going to an uncamped spawn point. That's a skill too - I was dying a great deal by spawning repeatedly and getting killed right away. As I became more skilled, I recognized the value of spawning safely - or providing a safe spawn point to my squad.

Comment

Originally posted by BaronViolence
          What does it mean to be skilled in BF2? It is a recurring theme in every thread. No skill BH whores. No skill n00b t00bers. No skill n00b rammed me with a jet. No skill spec-ops made a suicide run.

But this is very strange. It is like saying that a basketball player is unskilled because he takes a layup when the opportunity presents itself. Should the man on the fast break pull up and take a jump shot from the three point line to show how skilled he is? Should I run around the map with only my pistol to show how skilled I am?

A skilled player is one who recognizes an advantage and uses it.
          It's about how many ammo/health bags you can toss out and how many people you can revive. Repairing **** runs a very close second.

After you have helped capture a flag, leave it immediately. Do not enter the flagzone until the rest of your team has gone in first and assured you that it is safe.

Whatever you do, do not actually try to actively go out and capture a flag or defend a base, only newbs do that.

If you are the last man alive on your team, you better have a sniper rifle and be as far away as possible, let them know you mean business and that the map won't end until they trek half way across the map for you.

The real skill is in the bag tossing.

Comment

Originally posted by IVfluids
            It's about how many ammo/health bags you can toss out and how many people you can revive. Repairing **** runs a very close second.

Whatever you do, do not actually try to actively go out and capture a flag or defend a base, only newbs do that.

If you are the last man alive on your team, you better have a sniper rifle and be as far away as possible, let them know you mean business and that the map won't end until they trek half way across the map for you.

The real skill is in the bag tossing.
            i sense some bitterness here

although there is one advantage to still being alive if he is smart he will be a section commander everyone can spawn on him then leave section so thers can spawn thus the team may still win but i have not seen many lone snipers b=have enough skil or brains to think of that

Comment

i hate when soemone jumps and luaches a nade into thier feet killing me but i accept it when i get hit in thr forehead from across the level

Comment

ah but would that be skill or luck ????????

Comment

What does it mean to be skilled in BF2? It is a recurring theme in every thread. No skill BH whores. No skill n00b t00bers. No skill n00b rammed me with a jet. No skill spec-ops made a suicide run.

But this is very strange. It is like saying that a basketball player is unskilled because he takes a layup when the opportunity presents itself. Should the man on the fast break pull up and take a jump shot from the three point line to show how skilled he is? Should I run around the map with only my pistol to show how skilled I am?

But it does take skill to make a layup, ill tell you something. I am 13, and have been playing basektball since I was 9, and i did not master my layups till last year, duno y, but i could make jump shots from anywere, but no layups, and I am a good player, made A team last year, but thats not the point. The point is it takes absolutly no skill to move your mouse slightly down and click and blow someone up with the n00b tube, a damned baby could do it! n00b tube = no skill

Comment

I'll drop another analogy. The best 9-ball players can make miraculous shots, with crazy english and astonishing combinations. But at the best level, they maneuver themselves around so that they have only high-percentage shots.

The greatest players have to do both. They work to give themselves every advantage - but when necessary they will pull off a miracle shot.

If all the skill goes into preparation, the kill should be easy.

Comment

i think its more to do with people not liking certain fighting methods used eg noob tubing (used by new players before they realise there are other classes than assault!), jihading runs, C4 ramming etc. Any idiot can do it. But the use guile, accuracy and thought is more admired by the community.

Personally, I think noob tubing is OK AS THAT IS WHAT IT DOES (how can you noob tube unskillfully?)!!!! Those things can be quite tricky to master and, yes, require some skill to judge the distance fired!! But a jet is for flying and jeeps are for driving, guns are for aiming etc. Cheap shortcuts p*ss everyone off and they're low tactics. Its probably more the absence of skill that annoys than the other way around. Its tantamount to cheating. Just like hackers etc. Boo hiss!!!! Very bad!!!

Comment

Sure, like in AA where you actually can't bunny hop like crazy but actually have to sneak. (And you die if you get a slug in your lung)
                        To me BF2 is more of an arcade game rather than a game where military tactics can be applied. I recon it'll be fun for about...... 40-50 hrs more

Comment

to sum it up... the game is pretty good... but its the lame tactics
                          that make it unbearable at times.. you got chopper geeks with gunners
                          just spammin away.. (look at the teamwork points at the end of the
                          game... they are basically useless to the team..) then you got jet
                          geeks chasing each other around and around in the skies, wheee,
                          that helps me a lot... NOT..

I wish the game was more infantry.. all the air domination is, yes, imo
                          skilless... although I have seen some very good pilots and gunners team
                          up to actually help their team... but for the most part they are just
                          joy riders looking to spam their rockets on anything that moves, same
                          with the jets.. droppin bombs just for the hell of it..if they kill a teammate
                          oh well..

Comment

Originally posted by rtgbs7k
                            To me BF2 is more of an arcade game rather than a game where military tactics can be applied. I recon it'll be fun for about...... 40-50 hrs more
                            While I agree there are a lot of arcadish elements to the game I also have seen what real teamwork and skill can do. I have seen a single squad decimate an entire opposing team in a match. I have been on a squad that has worked well together doing a lot of the things that fire teams and squads do in real life or at least as close as this simulation can come to it.

You know your on a good squad when a medic teammate goes down and everyone rushes to grab their kit and switch out to revive him. These squads usually are made up of members where no one has the same kit and everyone knows what they need to do. It can be close to a thing of beauty. After playing 10 to 15 games where things just go to crap and you get utterly owned by the other team you can play one game with a good squad and it makes up for all the other bad experiences.

Comment

I the best and I love my nade launcher.

Comment

Originally posted by A_BuNNy_HoPPer
                                I the best and I love my nade launcher.
                                *cough*noob*cough*

Comment

Working...
                                X