The meaning of Skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The meaning of Skill

What does it mean to be skilled in BF2? It is a recurring theme in every thread. No skill BH whores. No skill n00b t00bers. No skill n00b rammed me with a jet. No skill spec-ops made a suicide run.

But this is very strange. It is like saying that a basketball player is unskilled because he takes a layup when the opportunity presents itself. Should the man on the fast break pull up and take a jump shot from the three point line to show how skilled he is? Should I run around the map with only my pistol to show how skilled I am?

A skilled player is one who recognizes an advantage and uses it.

Re: The meaning of Skill

Well said. People just don't like dying so when they die by a so called cheap way the other player must have no skill. It helps the ego.

Comment

Someone who can hit 50% of the sniper bullets at 200M
      Someone who can hit someone with a grenade launcher at any distance.

ect. ect.

Comment

I think here skilled just means you have good aim. If you kill anyone with tactics, teamwork, or anything that's not aim, you have no right to exist on this planet.

Comment

No, skill is used as a point of differentiation between the majority of players and individuals who are better than the majority at certain tasks. If everyone can fire a noob tube at their feet (which most can) and kill a nearby opponent, then it's not really skill - it's a rudimentary task associated with playing BF2 that anyone with a mouse can perform. Same with sitting in a Blackhawk.

Those who can hit someone with the grenade launcher from, say, 100m away, have skill because they're exercising proficiency at doing something that not everyone can do.

Now technically everyone who plays BF2 would be considered skilled against someone who plays Checkers all the time, but that's not a useful measure.

Skilled is the ability to excel beyond what is basic, common, and achievable by most.

Comment

Originally posted by puglous
            I think here skilled just means you have good aim. If you kill anyone with tactics, teamwork, or anything that's not aim, you have no right to exist on this planet.
            well said too,
            i has been called a cheater multiples of time while i was bombing in an f35 and blowing the hell up of every tank of even infantry getting in my line of sight...
            well my cheat is skill and practice and people never see it: they prefer moaning and cry at me. same as some i know.

Comment

Skill is people who don't come to msg boards like these and whine about being owned by someone wether it be a noob toober or whatever else you nerds come up with.

Comment

No, skill is used as a point of differentiation between the majority of players and individuals who are better than the majority at certain tasks. If everyone can fire a noob tube at their feet (which most can) and kill a nearby opponent, then it's not really skill - it's a rudimentary task associated with playing BF2 that anyone with a mouse can perform. Same with sitting in a Blackhawk.
                Yes, but it takes someone with half-way decent tactics to figure out that they SHOULD do whatever will help the team/hurt the enemy the most. If you can figure out a way to score easy points without cheating/exploiting (meaning those points are earned by helping your team), that's good tactics, and therefore, a skill.

Comment

Yes, but it takes someone with half-way decent tactics to figure out that they SHOULD do whatever will help the team/hurt the enemy the most. If you can figure out a way to score easy points without cheating/exploiting (meaning those points are earned by helping your team), that's good tactics, and therefore, a skill.
                  Agreed. And that is not something that everyone can do. Thanks for supporting my post.

Comment

variable,

I can see that. If the basketball player can only do layups, and can't bang under the boards or handle the ball or shoot the 3, you wouldn't call them a skilled player. But you wouldn't start screaming NOOB at them when they used the layup as part of their arsenal. And I think that's what I don't get.

People assume that taking the easy road implies that you can't do it the hard way in the appropriate situation.

Comment

If everyone could do it everyone would do it.

Skill means how well you can accomplish your goals. Nothing more, nothing less. The goal of battlefield 2 (or any team game) is to make your team win without cheating. The better you can accomplish this goal the more skilled you are. End. of. story.

And, additionally, you couldn't have less evidence that "n00b tubers" couldn't do other things. You do have evidence however, that they are smart enough to do it when it can rack up easy, legit kills.

Comment

Originally posted by ||ass||variable

Those who can hit someone with the grenade launcher from, say, 100m away, have skill because they're exercising proficiency at doing something that not everyone can do.

Now technically everyone who plays BF2 would be considered skilled against someone who plays Checkers all the time, but that's not a useful measure.

No, skilled is the ability to excel beyond what is basic, common, and achievable by most.
                        yeah but you are only talking about a skilled player who's only skilled with one thing...
                        a real skilled player is someone able to be good with every thing able to kill... i mean a skilled player is awesome in a jet, awesome with m203, awesome with tank, awesomme with medic, support, attack, defend, teamwork, no TK, good comander, everything.

only one thing a player do well is not what i call a skilled player.

Comment

Originally posted by BaronViolence
                          variable,

I can see that. If the basketball player can only do layups, and can't bang under the boards or handle the ball or shoot the 3, you wouldn't call them a skilled player. But you wouldn't start screaming NOOB at them when they used the layup as part of their arsenal. And I think that's what I don't get.

People assume that taking the easy road implies that you can't do it the hard way in the appropriate situation.
                          Good tie-in to your metaphor!

I can do a lay-up - but I am a horrible basketball player overall.

Still, skilled doesn't have to mean being good at alot of things - it just means achieving proficiency with at least one activity. A level of proficiency that the common player cannot do easily.

Comment

Originally posted by pilote<tardif
                            yeah but you are only talking about a skilled player who's only skilled with one thing...
                            a real skilled player is someone able to be good with every thing able to kill... i mean a skilled player is awesome in a jet, awesome with m203, awesome with tank, awesomme with medic, support, attack, defend, teamwork, no TK, good comander, everything.

only one thing a player do well is not what i call a skilled player.
                            Totally disagree. I would called someone who excels (beyond the masses) at one thing a skilled player - what if someone is an absolutely amazing helicopter gunner? Or pilot? Would you demean them as unskilled for being awesome at something, or would they have to be awesome at everything in order to gain your approval? Frankly, your viewpoint isn't very realistic, especially in a game where the very basis of gameplay (kits, vehicles) promotes specialization.

Comment

If everyone could do it everyone would do it.
                              Not true at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X