The meaning of Skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The meaning of Skill

Why not? (I know what you're going to say but answer anyway)

Comment

But winning doesnt imply skill. Killing players doesnt imply skill either.

Flying a jet into the ground and killing 20 people obviously requires alot less skill than kill those 20 people with an engineers spanner (if thats at all possible). That is fairly obvious.

What youre saying is that that doesnt prove that the pilot couldnt do the same thing? Well thats true. BUt ... so what? Whats your point?

we should assume everyone is a great skilled player without any basis in fact?

Comment

Originally posted by BaronViolence
        A skilled player is one who recognizes an advantage and uses it.

There's some truth there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenshi
          we should assume everyone is a great skilled player without any basis in fact?
          No, but you shouldn't assume everyone is an unskilled player either

And if I saw somebody kill 20 guys by flying into the ground, I'd much rather have him as a teammate than the guy trying to stab 20 guys to death. That's like taking every shot from half-court. And that's not skill, that's stupidity.

There are no style points in real contests.

Comment

For reference, here's the exchange so far:

Originally Posted by puglous
            If everyone could do it everyone would do it.
            Originally Posted by ||ass||variable

Not true at all.
            Originally posted by puglous
            Why not? (I know what you're going to say but answer anyway)
            For me, it amounts to three reasons:

Fun
            I like doing what I like doing, and that doesn't include mowing soft targets down with a co-ax machinegun while sitting safely inside of a tank. Simply put, many of the actions that most players can perform (using a GL at close range, camping spawn points, etc.) aren't entertaining.

Challenge
            I like crappy odds and being the underdog because it makes my successes more gratifying. Personally, I take on the worst case scenarios, and that rarely includes doing what everyone else can do.

Novelty
            I've played BF since 1942, and frankly, I've had my fill of a lot of things that most folks happily do in BF2 - like using armor.

Comment

Originally posted by ||ass||variable
              Totally disagree. I would called someone who excels (beyond the masses) at one thing a skilled player - what if someone is an absolutely amazing helicopter gunner? Or pilot? Would you demean them as unskilled for being awesome at something, or would they have to be awesome at everything in order to gain your approval? Frankly, your viewpoint isn't very realistic, especially in a game where the very basis of gameplay (kits, vehicles) promotes specialization.

i must say i did not used the word "awesome" well, i must've said: "good"

so an awesome pilot jet wich i respect most is a skilled player but not an awesome player.
              a skilled player is good at one thing and an awesome player is good at multiple tasks as i said some posts up.
              the only way to see this is to see him in battle and not seeing him using his skills at the profit of camping main bases(but sometimes its inevitable but cant be for ethernity).
              anyway, its hard to explain myself with such a treath but i must say you are right but i just dint exaplain myself the way i wanted to.

Comment

I think the only skill that can be seen is skill in the AIR...
                Yea.

Comment

Reply to #1:

Can you PLEASE make a t-shirt with that on it!

Totally correct

Comment

Originally posted by Al3x
                    I think the only skill that can be seen is skill in the AIR...
                    Yea.
                    after some meditation about this i must say i feel the same way about you and since im really involved in Air combat experience i say same. but its better to be skilled at the same time on ground as in the air... this way you get a better feeling of what is happening down there and/or up there.

Comment

Skill- BigBadOrdnance

lol j/p

Skill coud be...
                      skilled in the air,tank,heli, on foot stuff like that

Comment

Just ignore the noobs. I dont read what they put unless there gonna join DICE and fix it then whatever. Once in awhile i bunny hop not to extremes but i do. People can do what they want they can complain or play the game noones gonna listen. Sometimes i feel like screaming noob tube cause i got killed by one like 10 times, but i dont they can do whatever that helps them do better. Because I know that'd i do the same

Comment

It all depends, for instance I kill helos extremely well....I am skilled in that, the helo pilots I shoot down are often skilled pilots as well, does my skill beating there skill make them unskilled? No of coarse not.....Thats why I think of myself as a "difference maker" I consistantly score in the top 10 on my team, 64 player servers, anything else sucks to me, I am extemely unorthodox and will try anything more than once if its funny even if I fail each time....drive a tank off a cliff to suprise the enemy? YES! drive a dune buggy wildly into a fortified position just to distract and see how long I can live? YES! Stay in a sniping position to long just **** everyone off, Im the guy!!! the "difference maker"

Comment

And one more thing to add. It doesnt take skill to play a video game, it takes intrest.

Comment

Varible
                              Lets take noob tube for example. If a guy uses a M203 at his feet to kill 3 people in one game and kills 20 people in the same game with M16. Is that skill to you or is that YOU SUCK.

Comment

To me, skill is being better than average at doing what you do best. For example, I am awesome as support (I use my Personal Killing Machine, some call it a PKM) but I can't snipe for crap. Does that mean I am not skilled? What if I can't aim but make all the right strategic decisions? Am I skilled? I think a skilled player is someone who gets a good amount of points while helping the team and not cheating.

Comment

Working...
                                X