Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to setup your joystick to fly a jet (beginner)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to setup your joystick to fly a jet (beginner)

Originally posted by scknight
    So. This has always bothered me...does Mouse Sensitivity in the aircraft controls change the sensitivity of the joystick? so crazy...but is this true?
    No.

You should/can change the sensitivity with your joystick programs

Comment

I use the same joystick so I'll put my input on the subject. It's much easier to have afterburners as number 11 and flares as 12, where as the less used buttons on 10,9,8, and 7. Reason for this is because when using the joystick you should have two hands on it, one on the stick and one on the side, with the thumb on the throttle and the fingers spread arround the left side buttons area. Having afterburner (the button you used the most for planes) closer to the throttle is much easier and more comfortable. The buttons I use on the side are 9 and 10, which I use 9 for position 1 and 10 for position 2 (so I don't have to switch to the keyboard when solo lazer guiding in a bomber).

Also there is no point have a 'weapon 1' or 'weapon 2' button as 'toggle weapons' switches between the two and since there is ONLY TWO there is no need for either button. If there was more than 2 weapons on the plane I could understand having individual buttons for it but with only 2 thats just stupid. So I use the 4 button for toggle weapons and the 3 button for 'show map' so I can easily access the map between firing missiles/dropping bombs and toggling weapons. The map is your eyes to the battlefield when your in a plane so it better be somewhere easy to access.

Lastly I use view hat switch differently as I use F9 - Up, F10 - Down, F11 - Left, and F12 - Right. This is personally preferance though and I'd recomend whatever feels comfortable.

While I'm posting I might as well show my heli controls. They are basically the same except I use 11 for 'flares', 12 for 'position 1', switch 9 to 'position 2' and 10 to F9 view (so that it takes away the cockpit view quickly when solo-gunning, watch the Redux Duck and Cover movie and you'll know what I'm talking about) This way to solo gun I just get myself in position, hit 9-10 real quick, then hit 12 and I'm back at piloting with as little movement as posible. For this you will have to go into your vehicles settings and change some like 12 I think for going back to first position, as the gunner seat in a chopper is not counted as chopper controls but instead counted as land vehicle controls/general vehicles. (GJ Dice, morons)

Comment

Originally posted by whoster69
        Good info. My second Logitech Extreme 3D just died so I decided to try the Saitek Cyborg Evo since so many people had been praising it. It has fewer keys so I'm having some difficulty setting it up. Does anyone have any suggestions for key placements for this stick?

Thanks.
        Yeah I got one last week. I`ve set it up with:
        B1 fire, B2 Sec.fire, B3 Change weopon, B4 Afterburner, B6 flares, POVHAT 1 cockpit, 3 forward chase, 5 rear chase, throttle and rudder. Still tinkering with the set up, but this seems to work for now.

Comment

Hey man I love you joystick lesson. How ever I have the same joystick as you display in your post yet I cant get mine to register. Why?

Comment

cant believe i missed this guide after reinstalling bf2

i forgot wat settings i had for my joystick on my old config and flying felt really diff

Comment

I have the same logitech as in the picture in first post, anyways, flying choppers is fine, but for some reason when I fly airplanes in BF2, Pitch FWD and Back are reversed. Like I have to pull joystick to go down, and push to go up where it should be vice versa. It's really annoying. Anyone know how to fix this? It works fine in Flight simulator X though.

Comment

go back to your controls screen and make sure you pull the right way when you chose the axis- thats all.

Comment

I find that using a hat switch to look around the cockpit is a waste of 4 good keys. The thing is, the mouselook is limited to you cant look behind you, and mouselook itsself is used only when its safe and youre scouting for opponents anyway. So actually binding the joystick as a mouse and using it as a mouse for mouselook is way better. In the same time, you gain 4 very valuable keys.

One thump controls 3 keys simultaneously. Weapon toggle, afterburner, weapon use. And other hat keys are available for the thumb to be used aswell.

I find the keyboard keys to be a whole lot better at performing their tasks, than the very rigid joystick keys.

As for throttle. In a middle of a dogfight, I set my throttle to 80%, and use analogue keys WS to quickly change speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Ad
                    go back to your controls screen and make sure you pull the right way when you chose the axis- thats all.
                    I'm pretty sure that's not it, as helicopter is fine, but airplane I have to pull joystick to go down, it should go up when you pull like in helicopters.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenicanin666
                      I'm pretty sure that's not it, as helicopter is fine, but airplane I have to pull joystick to go down, it should go up when you pull like in helicopters.
                      Try the mans advice. Ive had the same problem. Correctly fixed it with the advice that was given to you.

Comment

Originally posted by SaladFork
                        I find it much easier to have Flares / Switch Weapons / Afterburner as 3 of the buttons on the top of the joystick, as they're pretty much the ones used most.

Also, I noticed your in-game sensitivity settings are relatively low. I recommend having them all on highest (10, I believe).

~Salad
                        I agree with SaladFork.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmor
                          You only have a 2-axis joystick. I'll update my post to let them know.
                          Yeah, 3-d spin is awesome. 30 dollar Saitek AV8R is awesome. 4x 2-way switches, 2 mode settings(bomber/fighter i.e.), real throttle lever, hat switch, cover for the alt-fire button. Pretty awesome joystick. I'd recommend getting a 3-D twist joystick, can help a lot for bombing.

Comment

This will be useful. I can fly in flight sims and combat flight sims fairly well but using a mouse in BF2 to fly SUCKS. Glad to know you can do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
                              I find that using a hat switch to look around the cockpit is a waste of 4 good keys. The thing is, the mouselook is limited to you cant look behind you, and mouselook itsself is used only when its safe and youre scouting for opponents anyway. So actually binding the joystick as a mouse and using it as a mouse for mouselook is way better. In the same time, you gain 4 very valuable keys.

One thump controls 3 keys simultaneously. Weapon toggle, afterburner, weapon use. And other hat keys are available for the thumb to be used aswell.

I find the keyboard keys to be a whole lot better at performing their tasks, than the very rigid joystick keys.

As for throttle. In a middle of a dogfight, I set my throttle to 80%, and use analogue keys WS to quickly change speed.
                              I like this one the best im getting pretty good with it if i use the throtle control thing i always find meself taking off or crashing becuase it isnt perfectly in the middle so i rather use the arrow keys for throtle

Comment

Hey i just bought an extreme 3d logi joystick and tried testing it out. O boy....i suk like.....alot lmao. Anyways its pretty hard to aim at things and keep it steady. Could it be the joystick sensitivity? I tried using the Profiler program it came with but im not sure how to set the controls for BF2. What % sensitivy do u suggest for x/y-axis? Also i find it really hard to control turning using joy axis 2, should i be using A/D keys on the keyboard instead for this joystick? So please can some1 help me, and thx.

Comment

Working...
                                X