Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to setup your joystick to fly a jet (beginner)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to setup your joystick to fly a jet (beginner)

Here's a beginner's guide on setting up your joystick to fly a jet.

Installation
    Make sure that Windows detects your joystick. To verify goto Control Panel->Game Controllers. Next to your joystick it should say Status OK.

Click on the Properties button. Press all the buttons on your joystick and move it around. If you don't like the settings you can click on the Settings tab and then Calibrate....

BF2 controls
    Now that you have verified that your joystick is installed and calibrated correctly goto OPTIONS->CONTROLS->AIRCRAFT to access the controls.

I recommend that you remove all the secondary settings in all the columns first and then press Apply.

Press the control you want to set and then the corresponding button/trigger on your joystick. If you set it correctly you should see "Joy Button <number>".

Careful when setting the axis controls. Twisting or angling the joystick in the wrong direction can make that axis inverted.

To set the PITCH FWD you'll click the secondary column next to PITCH FWD on your control screen. BF2 will then prompt you to press a key to bind. Lean your joystick forward and it will set both PITCH FWD and PTICH BACK to "Joy Axis 1". If you don't have both control binding cleared you'll get an error.

Here are my joystick settings using a Logitech Wingman Attack joystick:

Here are what my controls look like when I set them up completely in BF2:

<--- Edit: fixed the link

NOTE: If you only have a 2-axis joystick, "Joy Axis 2" will be your throttle not your STREER RIGHT and STEER LEFT controls. In this case you'll probably want to keep your 'A' and 'D' keys and use those for your STREER RIGHT and STEER LEFT controls.

Learn to fly
    Now that you have your joystick setup you'll want to get on a server and practice flying. I recommend highly to read this guide before you start.

See ya on the battlefield soldier!

Re: How to setup your joystick to fly a jet (beginner)

Considering the number of planes I see flown into mountains on a regular basis, this isn't such a bad thing.

Comment

Nice info Harmor

Comment

great resource. Im not a flyer but you put time into that.. for a flyeer it would be helpful..

thank you
        kingjes

Comment

thanks, man!

Comment

I find it much easier to have Flares / Switch Weapons / Afterburner as 3 of the buttons on the top of the joystick, as they're pretty much the ones used most.

Also, I noticed your in-game sensitivity settings are relatively low. I recommend having them all on highest (10, I believe).

~Salad

Comment

Originally posted by SaladFork
              Also, I noticed your in-game sensitivity settings are relatively low. I recommend having them all on highest (10, I believe).

~Salad
              As a beginner I think they should keep their sensitivity low. As they get better (no longer hitting things), I'm sure people will increase their sensitive.

In game I have my sensitivity set at 7 atm.

Comment

Um... Mine is mixed up i think. I have a Logitech Attack 3 and my Throttle is set to Joy Axis 2.. And i cant set Steer Right or Left.. As it says its already in use

Comment

Here are my settings...

Joyaxis 2 = Throttle ( Works good )
                  Pitch FWD and Back = Pushing Joystick Forward and back ( Works fine)
                  Pitch Left and Right = Pushing Joystick Left and Right ( Works fine)

And the other keys are just fire and they are all fine.. I dont know how im meant to seet Steer Right or Left.. Do i need it? I dont think i do...

Comment

I too put afterburners, weapoin mode, and flares on the top 3 buttons since I use them most and needs to be reached quickly when called for. I put the 3 camera keys to button 1-3.

Comment

how do you change the joystick sensitivity?

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Vortex
                        Joyaxis 2 = Throttle ( Works good )
                        Pitch FWD and Back = Pushing Joystick Forward and back ( Works fine)
                        Pitch Left and Right = Pushing Joystick Left and Right ( Works fine)

And the other keys are just fire and they are all fine.. I dont know how im meant to seet Steer Right or Left.. Do i need it? I dont think i do...
                        You only have a 2-axis joystick. I'll update my post to let them know.

Comment

Originally posted by Eliminator
                          how do you change the joystick sensitivity?
                          The default game controls you have in Windows doesn't allow you to set things like DEAD ZONES or sensitivity.

The sensitivity of joysticks are usually the physical qualities (springs inside the joystick), rather than an actually sensitivity settings of say your mouse.

However, some manufactures have a 3rd party application that can alter the "senitivness" or your joystick. Check the software that came with your joystick and see if you can 'tweak' the settings for your joystick to your liking.

Comment

Originally posted by Bird Killer
                            I too put afterburners, weapoin mode, and flares on the top 3 buttons since I use them most and needs to be reached quickly when called for. I put the 3 camera keys to button 1-3.
                            Good idea, I should try that.

Comment

What i normally do for flying planes, is keep 1 hand on my joystick and 1 and on my keyboard. The flares, guns eject and switching camera views are on the joystick. bombs are the trigger, guns are another button near my thumb, camera views are the nobby button, (up and down to look front and back).

Everything else, i keep on the keyboard,. W and S are accel/decel, space is afterburner and i use A and D for the rudders because sometimes when i roll right, i like to rudder left.

But long story short, i find that putting all the buttons on the joystick, esepcially the throttle, gets too cramped and it is much easier to keep alot of things on the keyboard.

Comment

Working...
                              X