Cheap 6600 or expensive 6800?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap 6600 or expensive 6800?

Should I spend half as much money on 6600 or spend more on a 6800? Are the Graphics pretty close.... or big difference?

the 6600GT has more bang for your buck...but I think you would see an increase in quality with the 6800.

Still, for $150 on newegg, a 6600GT would be good enough for me

Comment

I saw a 6800 256mb on ebay, for $211. Is it worth it

Oh.... SLI ready

Comment

Id do it...but then again I wouldnt...I would never trust hardware purchased on eBay

Comment

i have hardware from ebay. i say, trust your instincts. maybe spending more money to get it from a shop is a better idea, unless you cant scrape it together. do what you can.

Comment

i was faced with the same prob. my solution, im going with the 6600gt because im going to build a pc early next year that has a mother board that accepts PCI-E video cards. So the 6600gt is priced right for me. Im going to spend the big bucks next year.

Comment

buy 7800 and forget about graphic card buying in next couple years lol

Comment

Originally posted by ISHII[IL]
                buy 7800 and forget about graphic card buying in next couple years lol
                man i hate people like you. get this, get that, read the f***ing post moron.
                ANYWAYS,
                I have 2 systems, one with a 6600GT and one with a 6800 256MB. The 6600GT pulls off medium with 1GB of ram, and an AMD athlon 64 3200+
                The 6800 pulls of high with a P4 3.0 and 1GB of ram. Hope that helps.

Comment

Well if you can, get a 6800GT, I'm not sure if that is what you meant by "6800" because a lot of people forget the extra letters which is important in video cards.

Basically here is why:
                  Yes the 6600GT is a very very good card for the money. It is mid-range and can out run the ATI equivelent.
                  However, if you get a 6800GT (simular to an X800XL) you can overclock it (don't worry it isn't like the days of old, most manufactures provide software that will do all the work for you, if not, there are plenty of 3rd party drivers/program [IE omega] that will allow you to do this) anyways back to what was I saying, if you get the 6800GT, you can OC it to 6800 Ultra speeds quite easily (from what I have heard). That is liked getting a X800XT for the price of an X800XL in ATI terms.

Hopefully this helps you out a bit.

Comment

^^ Well said.

Comment

graphics are graphics, only tying you will gain from a more expensive card is better performance.

pipelines is the key. How so? Well if you take a look at the specs for the 7800GTX, it has a speed of 430/1200. I overclocked my 6800GT to those speeds, do i get the same performance as a 7800GTX... NO! Why? Because I dont have 24 pipelines! I only have 16!

So obviously with a 6800 which has those extra pipelines, it will have a pretty big difference in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by MiG
                        man i hate people like you. get this, get that, read the f***ing post moron.
                        ANYWAYS,
                        I have 2 systems, one with a 6600GT and one with a 6800 256MB. The 6600GT pulls off medium with 1GB of ram, and an AMD athlon 64 3200+
                        The 6800 pulls of high with a P4 3.0 and 1GB of ram. Hope that helps.
                        A ****ing greed. I hate the people that just go in threads tellin people to get 7800's. WELL NO ****ING ****. If they had the money, why would they make a thread asking to get a 6600. ****.

Comment

getting those extra graphics is worth it. At least to me. Go with the 6800.

Comment

Well...it all depends on your setup. I thought for a 6800GT/Ultra, to really push it, you need extra ram. Can we see the rest of your comp stats?

I personally use a 6600 GT because that was all I can afford and I wanted to play BF2 this bad XD; But yeah...I run that card during CAL matches with the settings in my sig damn fine =)

Comment

Originally posted by GameWizard
                              pipelines is the key. How so? Well if you take a look at the specs for the 7800GTX, it has a speed of 430/1200. I overclocked my 6800GT to those speeds, do i get the same performance as a 7800GTX... NO! Why? Because I dont have 24 pipelines! I only have 16!
                              So take a super slow card, put some more pipelines on it, what do you get? A slow card that won't do much.

Much of the power from the 7800GTX comes from the architecture of the card. While the 24 pipelines don't hurt it (as it allows more data flow through the card, which means more pixels per clock cycle) I run an X850XT PE and its as smooth as butter.

Granted 24 pipes is the way of the future, its still way to expensive. Also the Rxxx series from ATI is fast approaching, and if you thought the 7800GTX was something, these bad boys are out to blow Nvidia away. With insane clock speeds on the GPU and memory, added with a new core and 24+ pipelines, these bad boys will rock the gaming world. Dual cores on one card? Its coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X