Solution to "Patching Failed"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solution to "Patching Failed"

this worked for me.. install this patch on this page and ur battlefield2 will be patched 100% http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3409
    download the file..and unzip it to ur battlefield 2 folder..and run patch.exe file then...this takes some time

Comment

First, Try this.

Place the patch in your desktop and run it from there. If that still don't work, then you are having registry problems. This is how you fix it:

1.Go To Start > Run > Type "regedit" (without quotes)

2. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2

3. Then right click on the right hand window and go on NEW string value,then enter InstallDir for the string name and for the value enter D:\GAMES\Battlefield 2

(or whatever your BF2 Path is)
      says there is a file string value already named InstallDir - wont let me make it!

and I though I was so close to being able to play rated... ):

Comment

First, Try this.

Place the patch in your desktop and run it from there. If that still don't work, then you are having registry problems. This is how you fix it:

3. Then right click on the right hand window and go on NEW string value,then enter InstallDir for the string name and for the value enter D:\GAMES\Battlefield 2

It says that there is already a string value with that name and wont let me make the file...

Comment

Did alot of reading on various forums, went into CMD and ran the folder the Patch creates in the Command Prompt and Finally figured it out. I was having the exact same problem, I would run the patch get the error message saying "Patch Failed" I would then click OK and would get the screen saying "Patch Installed Succesfully" but the game was still on its original version. THE SOLUTION Free up some hard drive space, i had only about 800 Bytes of space left, after some spring cleaning I gave myself a little over 4 gigs of space, and the patch installed flawlessly

so all in all Problem = Insuficient Hard Drive space
          Solution = Free up some danged hard drive space

Comment

One of possible problem is lack of hard disk space.
            I had only 1 GB free and it didn't work.
            Then i tried with 4.5 GB free and it worked (takes a long time to finish).

If this is not your case, i suggest checking the "patchlog.txt" file (somewhere inside the "Documents and Settings" folder).
            That's where my problem was identified.

Good luck!

Comment

I am using the cmd line solution but got this at some point, then it stopped.

Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'mods\bf2\python\game\scoringCommon.py'

Writing New File
              Verifying - Passed!
              Deleting Old File

Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Shaders_client.zip'

Writing New File
              error ept0009: Invalid Patch File 'C:\patch\PATCH.RTP'

What does this mean? Anyone else get this?

Jake

P.s. I just bought BF2, is it just me or does the ingame server browser suck?

Comment

UK.D-Hirogen & Kelloggs hi dudes.
                I thought that you had fixed this, what's the update on your progress?
                I see a lot of peeps in this post some, sort of hanging on, for a fix?

Comment

Originally posted by Feenix
                  so I'm not sure what's supposed to happen after you run that command. Something happens, and then what? Close that window, close the patcher that you didn't use and then launch the game? I tried that, it never patched me. Can you fill me in on what happens after I type patch.exe "C:\BFTemp"

?

please? Thanks!

[edit oh I see this is for a different fix. I got patch failed error, but when I go to the registry, I have an installdir with the proper folder structure. :s

Here is what happend to me:
                  __________________________________________________ _______
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Levels\Strike_at_Karkand\archive.md5'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Levels\Wake_Island_2007\archive.md5'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Levels\Zatar_Wetlands\archive.md5'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying DELETE File Patch for 'ArchiveScripts\archiveShaders.py'
                  Old Version of File 'ArchiveScripts\archiveShaders.py' does not exist.
                  Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'BF2ServerLauncher.exe'
                  Writing New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Deleting Old File
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\chinese\Chinese_Mappacks.ut xt
                  '
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\chinese\Chinese_Patch.utxt'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Levels\Wake_Island_2007\client.zip'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'admin\default.py'
                  Writing New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Deleting Old File
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\dutch\Dutch_Mappacks.utxt'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\dutch\Dutch_Patch.utxt'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\english\English_Mappacks.ut xt
                  '
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\english\English_Patch.utxt'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Levels\Wake_Island_2007\Info\favoriteMap .p
                  ng'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'python\bf2\stats\fragalyzer_log.py'
                  Writing New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Deleting Old File
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\french\French_Mappacks.utxt '
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\french\French_Patch.utxt'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'python\bf2\GameLogic.py'
                  Writing New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Deleting Old File
                  Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'generate_md5.py'
                  Writing New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Deleting Old File
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\german\German_Mappacks.utxt '
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\german\German_Patch.utxt'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Levels\Wake_Island_2007\Info\gpm_cq_16_m en
                  uMap.png'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Levels\Wake_Island_2007\Info\gpm_cq_32_m en
                  uMap.png'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Levels\Wake_Island_2007\Info\gpm_cq_64_m en
                  uMap.png'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\italian\Italian_Mappacks.ut xt
                  '
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\italian\Italian_Patch.utxt'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\japanese\Japanese_Mappacks. ut
                  xt'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\japanese\Japanese_Patch.utx t'

Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\korean\Korean_Mappacks.utxt '
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\korean\Korean_Patch.utxt'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Levels\Wake_Island_2007\Info\loadmap.png '
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'ArchiveScripts\makeArchive.bat'
                  warning wpt0015: Old File does not exist
                  Applying DELETE File Patch for 'makeArchives.py'
                  Old Version of File 'makeArchives.py' does not exist.
                  Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'ArchiveScripts\makeLevelArchive.bat'
                  Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'python\bf2\stats\medal_data.py'
                  Applying DELETE File Patch for 'obfuscate.py'
                  Old Version of File 'obfuscate.py' does not exist.
                  Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'python\bf2\ObjectManager.py'
                  Writing New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Deleting Old File
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\polish\Polish_Mappacks.utxt '
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\polish\Polish_Patch.utxt'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'LinuxReadmes\readme-linux.txt'
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Settings\ReservedSlots.con'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Levels\Wake_Island_2007\server.zip'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Settings\ServerSettings.con'
                  Writing New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Deleting Old File
                  Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Settings\ServerSettingsDesc.dat'
                  Writing New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Deleting Old File
                  Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Settings\Sound.con'
                  Writing New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Deleting Old File
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\spanish\Spanish_Mappacks.ut xt
                  '
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\spanish\Spanish_Patch.utxt'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\swedish\Swedish_Mappacks.ut xt
                  '
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\swedish\Swedish_Patch.utxt'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\thai\Thai_Mappacks.utxt'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Localization\thai\Thai_Patch.utxt'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!
                  Applying ADD File Patch for 'mods\bf2\Levels\Wake_Island_2007\Info\Wake_Island _2
                  007.desc'
                  Adding New File
                  Verifying - Passed!

----- Patch File Processing Complete -----

-----------------------------------------------------
                  - Results of Application of Patch File -
                  File Patches Applied ......................... ( 117)
                  Files Modified .................. ( 69)
                  Files Renamed. .................. ( 0)
                  Files Added ..................... ( 46)
                  Files Deleted ................... ( 2)
                  Temporary Files Processed........ ( 0)
                  File Patches Skipped: New Files Up-To-Date.... ( 11)
                  File Patches Ignored: Old Files Missing....... ( 15)
                  Old Files Invalid....... ( 0)
                  Total File Patches Processed ................. ( 143)

C:\>
                  __________________________________________________ _______

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Capwn
                    First, Try this.

I want to thank you for your tip. I was having the same problem with patch 103, and your fix worked like a charm!

Comment

Originally posted by UK.D-Hirogen
                      Ok so i tried a clean install, removing my Battlefield 2 folder and copying my Bro's working / Patched version over as EA suggested. Joined a server .... and couldnt believe i still got the 'Unmodified Content' error

So out of curiosity i ran the patch from the normal .exe and it said patching was successfull, i looked at the log and again it listed 1 Invalid file 'Objects_client.zip' but passed over it again with the same output 'warning bla bla not found but a similar file was found'. I was totally stunned

Without re-booting after the patch i started the game up and the menu's were slow as hell but i didnt care, i thought why not try a non-punkbuster server? ... So i jumped in a game, every step from loading to join was really slow so when it got to the part where you can join, but kicks you back for unmodified content i thought big deal, its even taking ages to kick me i need a reboot. But i clicked on join and wtf i was in game :hmm: , the squad menu was moving in really slow and the game was choppy as hell but i didnt care, i was actually in on 1.02.
                      I did a re-boot, changed my audio settings (Disabled EAX etc.) and joined another non-punkbuster game and this time no laggy menus, and sure enough i joined without a problem. I came out and joined a non-EA ranked server with punkbuster enabled and omg it let me join! . I brought down the command console and checked my PB version, clean install so it was old. It didnt update while i was in but i had other stuff to do so i came out. Ive just tried another ranked server, this time an official EA server and it let me join !!! Checked my PB Ver via the console and it has updated. I think thats my probs solved guys :laugh:

Sorry for the long story but i didnt want to miss anything out .

Now this might sound really stupid, and if it does work i have to admit my embarrasment of not trying it along with the other 50,000 solutions, but have any of you tried joining a non-punkbuster enabled server? And if you have does it let you? If you havent i suggest you go do that now, if it lets you in then try a punkbuster enabled server. Pls post if what youve tried and if it worked for you or not. I have theory on why this worked for me and why it might work for you, but i'll wait for the responses first, im off to play BF2
                      This totally worked for me. I was having both problems. I was getting modified game errors when entering server, and I was having issues installing the patch. My roommate has the game also and had no problems installing and playing the game. He hasn't patched it, but it did work. As I installed the game, i nabbed all the files that weren't able to be addressed by the installer and replaced them after with no avail. That sucked.

Then I went and downloaded the patch from one of the "non register" sites on the list and tried to install it a half dozen times untill it finally installed. I have no clue why it failed 6 times, but it did.

After I got the patch to install I tried to join a game.....no such luck, it kicked me out. So I exited the game, restarted it and tried to join a NON pb game. That worked just fine. Played for a minute, then quit. Now I can join any game PB or not without a problem.

What's your theory Hirogen as to why this works?

Comment

Hi there, I tried all the listed methods including uninstalling and reinstallling, in the end i redownloaded the patch and it worked!

so, i suggest redownloading the patch...

Tim.

Comment

Ive been having the patching failed message for a while now and tried all the fixes but nothing worked. After running the Temp files in a dos prompt there were lots of failed files, this got me thinking. I'm running 2Gig of memory which means that instead of using my HDD for the space needed the patcher loads most of the files it needs to change into RAM, I ran a memtest (http://www.memtest.org/) and occasionally a module would kick up an error, which is understanderble for 4 512 modules of non-ECC memory in dual channel so i ripped out all but one and the modules and everything goes in fine.

Hope this helps some of you

Comment

Originally posted by CampCommando
                            Ive been having the patching failed message for a while now and tried all the fixes but nothing worked. After running the Temp files in a dos prompt there were lots of failed files, this got me thinking. I'm running 2Gig of memory which means that instead of using my HDD for the space needed the patcher loads most of the files it needs to change into RAM, I ran a memtest (http://www.memtest.org/) and occasionally a module would kick up an error, which is understanderble for 4 512 modules of non-ECC memory in dual channel so i ripped out all but one and the modules and everything goes in fine.

Hope this helps some of you
                            Good job CampCommando.
                            Yes bad RAM,, = patching failed "and" Corrupt file, error messages can go hand in hand.
                            FYI Help with this sissue can be found in the sticky in this part of the forum.

Comment

My problem with the patch is this:

1. It stops installing after the language selection and gives me an error summed up as "you need 1.6GB of space"

2. I believe it is installing to my C drive, but I have all my program files (games and other software that are not OS related) on the D drive. both drives are virtual partitions on the same physical drive. I set aside 10GB of space for the OS-only C drive. Now I'm at 11% free space (roughly 1GB) on that drive.

Was that really not enough space for a Windows XP drive? If so, what kinds of files can I delete to make space? If I can't do that, I'd like to simply not install on the C drive and install the patch on the D drive, where the BF2 folder is. Is there a way to redirect the install directory?

Comment

Originally posted by [47R]Saureco
                                My problem with the patch is this:

1. It stops installing after the language selection and gives me an error summed up as "you need 1.6GB of space"

2. I believe it is installing to my C drive, but I have all my program files (games and other software that are not OS related) on the D drive. both drives are virtual partitions on the same physical drive. I set aside 10GB of space for the OS-only C drive. Now I'm at 11% free space (roughly 1GB) on that drive.
                                Create a file in D drive and rename it BF2 or something.
                                When the install choice comes up with typical or custom Choose Custom and browse to D drive then the file you created, click on "bf2" file you created, and save in there.

Originally posted by [47R]Saureco
                                Was that really not enough space for a Windows XP drive? If so, what kinds of files can I delete to make space? If I can't do that, I'd like to simply not install on the C drive and install the patch on the D drive, where the BF2 folder is. Is there a way to redirect the install directory?
                                No, that was not enough space if you don't know how to keep programs and applications from defaulting to your C drive. (See Above)
                                My C drive has XP on it using 7.65 GB having allowed 1 or 2 programs to share space in it (I allocated 12.6 GB for windows in my drive C)
                                You also would not have used windows defrag if you only have 11% of space left.
                                Windows Defrag needs at least 15% free space for it to be able to work.
                                Your C partition will be a mess.

Some tips on how to install games / programs in this link of a sticky in this forum ... http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18709

Let us know how you get on plz.

Sharky

Comment

Working...
                                X