Solution to "Patching Failed"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Solution to "Patching Failed"

Yep thats what Ive been telling people to do to get it fixed.

Comment

After many hours mucking around I managed to get 1.3 working on my fresh install - turns out my new SATA drive, which I use for data, is having read/write issues.

During my trouble shooting I copied a known good patch from a DVD I burnt at work to my data drive and it failed. I downloaded several fresh copies of the patch from different mirrors which failed too.

After all that I started downloading and running incrementals only this time I saved to my desktop not my data drive and they were applying with no problems. Once I realised it was my drive playing up I ran the patch I had on DVD direct from the disk and it worked.

Comment

hello,

not sure what antivirus packaging you are using but i use mcafee. prior to install, disable the virus scanner and firewall. better your close any programs running in system tray or task bar.

download your patch from battlefield 2 website link. store in a cd. yes, this is key!

install your patch from cd. works! :guns:

it failed after buying new hardware for gpu, cpu, hdd, mobo, ram, dvd drive and os. all that trial and error led to me to disabling the av and patch install via cd. it worked straight away. now i have special forces. i patched that, no problem.

Comment

I'll utilize that route (Running from cd) with my future patches. On my 'morph' PC, I've removed some of my games that I multiplayer, and I use a dualcore now. The 'morph' (I have an asus P4C800 deluxe MB and it has a 400/530/800 FSB and is hyperthread capable, only I have yet to get that HYPTHD processor) is what I like to try different component combos with. I REALLY like the SATA, I only use nvidia BUT, BF2 (aside from the xxx's of mb's of patchwork) really requires up-to-the-min. high end PC configurations to have any sort of IDEAL gameplay w/graphics/sound. Example: the dualcore PC was where I first saw "contrails" from the fighter jets wingtips, and all sorts of other details that each map has... AnYwAy, Thanks for the heads-up ala CD install of the patches. C'ya on the BATTLEGROUNDS! uuuuuuRAH! SeMpEr FI!!!

Comment

Happened to me with 1.4, but the temp data appears to be different with 1.4.
            After fiddling around and getting ****ty and fiddling around again... I got it installed.

Same method with slight alterations....

1. Double click the BF2_Patch_1.4.exe you downloaded. Do not select a language, leave it on this screen.

2. Browse to your temp directory e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp and arrange icons by modified (note: you will need hidden folders to be visible - tools > folder options > view)

3. Open the folder with a name similar to byeF7.tmp (4 letters and a number in this format.. There are 2 of them that appear when you start an installation, only one holds the bf2 data) open sub-folder disk1 and copy all the files to C:\Patch (create this folder).

4. Close your current installation of BF2

5. Click Start, Run, type CMD and press enter. At the command line type cd c:\patch and press enter. Then type setup.exe "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2" - or where ever you installed it.

Setup will then start again. Go through setup normally as if you were installing any other working game that isnt crap like bf2.

Hope it helps

Comment

check http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showp...&postcount=163

Comment

Hey- don't know how you all get this info and find the time to help out the rest of us by posting what you know but thanks- this solved the problem.

Comment

I still occasionally get network connection errors, but I put this down to my old PC and its bad performance. I got these sometimes prior to patch 1.3. 1.4 seems a hell of a lot more stable than 1.4.

Comment

1. Double click the BF2_Patch_1.4.exe you downloaded. Do not select a language, leave it on this screen.

2. Browse to your temp directory e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp and arrange icons by modified (note: you will need hidden folders to be visible - tools > folder options > view)

3. Open the folder with a name similar to byeF7.tmp (4 letters and a number in this format.. There are 2 of them that appear when you start an installation, only one holds the bf2 data) open sub-folder disk1 and copy all the files to C:\Patch (create this folder).

4. Close your current installation of BF2

5. Click Start, Run, type CMD and press enter. At the command line type cd c:\patch and press enter. Then type setup.exe "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2" - or where ever you installed it.

Setup will then start again. Go through setup normally as if you were installing any other working game that isnt crap like bf2.
                    Tried installing patch 1.4 and it failed.
                    I tested the workaround using command-line as mentioned above here, and I got another error during install. The innstallation asked for a "*.CAB2"-file. I looked into the 1.4 patch file-structure and could only see *.CAB1. I had a look on the BF2 DVD to see if there where any *.CAB2 there, but that one wasnt valid (innstallation didn't accept that file).

How big should the patch-folder/files after its/they are extracted (before choosing language in Install Wizard) be? After those files have been extracted must the folder contain a CAB2 file (then the extracting process actually failed)?

How many people (percent) have this exact problems?

I never had problems with patches before patch 1.4.

Really great if anybody finds a solution to this!

Comment

my patching fails at about 30-50 %

Comment

This is a great and long FAQ, might be useful. Ill keep you posted if it helps me.
                        http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=26653

Comment

yeah i got same, need cab2

Comment

ive still got this problem
                            i have used 3 different sources to patch 1.4 fileplanet,xfire and PC GAMER had the patch 1.4 in the dvd
                            all getting the same error
                            ive tried uninstalling-installing many times
                            still getting patch failed error
                            can anyone help me this is really bugging me
                            thanks in advance

anyone?

Originally Posted by Middle
                            1. Double click the bf2patch_v_102.exe you downloaded, select you country and click Next.

3. Open the folder with a name similar to {43604D32-1F10-4C64-A8F8-9324E19AF2C2} and copy all the files to C:\Patch (create this folder).

4. Click Start, Run, type CMD and press enter. At the command line type cd c:\patch and press enter. Then type patch.exe "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2" - or where ever you installed it.

The command Window will then display a load of text saying it's applying changes to files etc. It does take a long time to finish though...have registered on this forum and typed this post and it's only just finished.

The command Window will say once it has finished - close it, along with the patch installer and go play Battlefield 2!

By the way, this is for the Patching Failed error.

could i do the same to 1.4 patch?

Comment

does it all automatically

Comment

does what automatically?
                                will it fix my patch failed error ?
                                when i try to do it then CMD way it says
                                please go to control panel to install and configure system compents
                                after ive done everything,
                                please help

Comment

Working...
                                X