Roof Camping? Yes or No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fish
    but thats the thing.. you cant call it an exploit weather you feel it is or not.. its not an exploit that has been proven now.. its like making a rule up saying if you shoot a guy who keeps on being revived you will be kicked coz we think its exploiting.. no it isnt and surley if you ban people from your server for playing the game within the games machanics and EA DICES intentions you are open to be reported.. dont you think? I know they have given us small latitudes on what admins may kick/ban people for, this might fall under the same rule as no raping the uncapp... if so theres no problem.. but if EA/DICE include no roof top fighting to the restricting gameplay rule then you are breaking ROE for kicking or banning.
    The way I figure, as long as spawn pods are the only way of getting on rooftops, it's still fair game for servers to prohibit roof camping. If there were ladders and such, I would agree with you, but I think that the fact that you can't reach rooftops once you're on the ground (which I still think makes roof camping exploitative, regardless of how DICE feels) makes them subject to server house rules.

Comment

• something can be an exploit, and still be legal. Just because it's legal does not mean it's not an exploit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Digital-Boy
        The way I figure, as long as spawn pods are the only way of getting on rooftops, it's still fair game for servers to prohibit roof camping. If there were ladders and such, I would agree with you, but I think that the fact that you can't reach rooftops once you're on the ground (which I still think makes roof camping exploitative, regardless of how DICE feels) makes them subject to server house rules.
        I like to occasionally camp the titan guns. There is no way for the enemy to kill me, the best they can do is destroy the guns (which can be repaired). Seems with your logic, that is an exploit, even though DICE designed it as part of the game.

DICE said rooftops are ok. This should not be limited by servers as an EXPLOIT. But it can be a local server rule -- Ramming, raping uncaps and such are not exploits but are local server rules. Please stop calling it an exploit.

Comment

• 1.4 beta 2 pods, whatever if from dropping from transport os spawn beacon, it has a very different feeling now...for the intentional reasons announced.

Comment

• Originally posted by Digital-Boy
            If DICE wants to keep roof-camping, they should make them more accessable.
            Its fine the way it is, sometimes it takes a bit of teamwork to get on a roof sucessfully. Pretty much anything that promotes teamwork is good :salute:

Comment

• My view on the subject is this: with every ounce of increased altitude comes an additional pound of visibility and vulnerability. If you REALLY want to put yourself in a situation where any competent player with PK-74s, a Baur or a sniper-class weapon can put an eighth hole in your head with relative impunity, then be my guest. It's not that big of a tactical advantage, and the pluses are outweighed by the minuses, quite frankly.

You're a very easy target up there, and just like any advantage to be had in this game it carries with it a corresponding detriment. I don't use this tactic for that reason, and that reason alone.

I have no problem if fools wish to handicap themselves in this manner, however. No need for me to expend as much effort killing you if you are already taking measures to make yourself an easier target. I'm not in the habit of refusing to utilise a weapon that an opponent has been kind enough to offer me

Go play on the roof. I'll be down here capping CPs and winning the round.

Comment

• you might be an easy target, but if they put a beacon on the roof, and six guys spawn up there and start dropping grenades on your CP, you won't be capping it. And lets not forget capping flags does not win games, you can hold every flag on the map except the uncap and my team can still win just by killing your team faster.

With a medic on the roof out of the way it assures that while you may stop the grenade onslaught killing the soldier doesn't drop the ticket count.

that's why I say roof camping is ok, putting a spawn beacon on the roof is not.

Comment

• "Orbital Strike - Your Area!"

Problem solved.

Originally posted by Sugarbear(SID)
                  And lets not forget capping flags does not win games, you can hold every flag on the map except the uncap and my team can still win just by killing your team faster.
                  Depends on the gametype. In an Assault map, if my team holds all but the uncap, your team gets a nasty ticket drain that is pretty much impossible to overcome with kills.

Holding CPs gives your team the ability to set assault lines and dictate the terms of the engagement, which leads to more favourable conflicts, wider dispersion of reinforcements, more attack angles, more kills, fewer deaths and more teamwork to save tickets.

Comment

• orbital strike VERY RARELY kills infantry, and never kills the beacon. That's my main problem with it, if you want to pod to the roofs, by placing your beacon on the ground next to the building, cool, I can kill your beacon. In the middle of a roof, it can't be killed from the ground, that makes it pretty unfair.

I think your ideas of holding CPs aren't really based in reality, at least not the reality of pubs. I've won and lost dozens and dozens of games even though we hold all the CPs, because my team rushes into the uncap to kill the opposition who just sit there and cut down anyone coming in. It's a lot easier than you think to overcome the ticket bleed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugarbear(SID)
                      orbital strike VERY RARELY kills infantry, and never kills the beacon.
                      Source? I've had (edit: seen, that is. My commander hours are few and far between) orbital strikes kill the beacon before. I usually help the commander out by taking a few seconds to watch a drop in order to ascertain the approximate location of the beacon, then sending a strike request up the chain of command. 90% of the time it is accepted and the beacon is summarily removed from play along with most of the infantry.

I think your ideas of holding CPs aren't really based in reality, at least not the reality of pubs. I've won and lost dozens and dozens of games even though we hold all the CPs, because my team rushes into the uncap to kill the opposition who just sit there and cut down anyone coming in.
                      Sounds to me like you're playing with idiots. Look for a server that has professional teamwork and works in squads, and my thoughts will come into play pretty damn quickly. The smart player wins in this game when the level of play is raised to a competent one.

Just my opinion, though *shrug*. Sounds like it's very much a case of your personal experiences against mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fish
                        but thats the thing.. you cant call it an exploit weather you feel it is or not.. its not an exploit that has been proven now.. its like making a rule up saying if you shoot a guy who keeps on being revived you will be kicked coz we think its exploiting.. no it isnt and surley if you ban people from your server for playing the game within the games machanics and EA DICES intentions you are open to be reported.. dont you think? I know they have given us small latitudes on what admins may kick/ban people for, this might fall under the same rule as no raping the uncapp... if so theres no problem.. but if EA/DICE include no roof top fighting to the restricting gameplay rule then you are breaking ROE for kicking or banning.
                        We have ff turned off on our server. When we see somebody high roofing we have no idea how they got there, could have been a pod or by rdx. We can debate wether its an exploit using the pods all day long, but using rdx to get there is a deffo no no. Unless somebody see's how the people got there we've no way of knowing how they did it! The best option is to ban all high roofing and then theres no confusion.

Its not like theres a lack of servers out there anyway, many people feel the same way we do and keep coming back on our servers as we enforce these rules. If you want to highroof, or dont mind people doing this then theres more than enough servers out there which will allow it.

Comment

Working...
                        X