Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I just went back to BF2 after a year or so....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I just went back to BF2 after a year or so....

and I must say... BF2 is fun! Can't believe that I hated this game so much... I played a Special Forces map called Warlord and it was superb. Assault kicks ***, especially with that grappling hook. The G3 is a manly gun, love the sound. But it makes me wonder.. When DICE has BF2 as an example, how come they messed up with BF2142 when it comes to several game aspects??

BF2 maps own BF2142 maps. Look at Karkand (I know, I know). Karkand is quite a nice map when it comes to looks. There's lots of buildings and little alleyways where you can fights (although the majority likes to spam nades the entire game). There are a lo of different ways you can pursue to win the game. Camp doesn't. Camp is about the first two jeeps, rest is either baserape or full cap.
    Note: I did not play jet maps... jet maps are just bs. "Cool a tank!" Vrrroooom KABLAAAAM jet. "Wow, I spawned!" Bratatatatatata jet. Jet. Jet. Jet. Jet. J10. End. Yeah, 5-25, boy this was fun.

Bf2 and BF2142 both have nice weapons. They both have an overpowered weapon (and you KNOW it is overpowered) Voss/G36E. However, there are fewer people using the G36E then there are people that use the Voss.

Bf2 has ridiculous nadespam. wtf, the entire team just poops out 32093849434829309324 nades. To end up with 20 kills. My thrusty G3 nets me 50 kills. WTF?! Why nadespam? I don't get it.

BF2 does not have titan. Titan sucks, it allows titan padde- sorry, 'defenders', to score HUGE points with the infamous nadespam.. Riiight.

BF2 has cooler tanks. BF2142 tanks are dull and the tank shell flies in a ridiculous arc. I expected a shell that would fly straight through the air, but no...

BF2142 has better air-ground balance. No ZOMFG UR JED IS LIOK KILLIN EVEYTHING LOLOLOL... All that BF jet maps need is a PORTABLE AA GUN.

All in all, I think that BF2 and BF2142 are equal... they both have several major flaws, and a lot of small ones too. However, I think that when DICE would give BF2 some love BF2 could become much better then BF2142. BF2142 just needs too much fixing I think, and BF2142 is WAY too noob friendly! What do you guys think? should DICE embrace BF2 again or should DICE focus 100% on 2142?

I would prefer that they make a new game based on the same principles that they used for BF2142.
    There isn't any serious balance issues, and the combination of the AT / Engineer classes was needed.
    The removal of high speed aircrafts was also godsend.

However the Bf2142 maps are visually dull compare to those from BF2, and there is only a handful different vehicles.
    I suspect much of this is because they had to invent everything for BF2142, whereas BF2 has plenty of real-life locations and equipment to copy.

So combine the game play mechanics of BF2142 with the variety of BF2, and we could have a winner.

Btw. I like Titan mode and the way BF2142 tanks works.

Comment

The tank balance is quite odd.... The nekomata is much much better then theTiger with it's two one hit kill spots. Titan lags (for me it does) and I don't like running into 5 campers

Comment

Originally posted by DutchDude View Post
        The tank balance is quite odd.... The nekomata is much much better then theTiger with it's two one hit kill spots. Titan lags (for me it does) and I don't like running into 5 campers
        Is the second kill spot behind the turret?
        I have just recently heard rumours of it, and wasn't aware that there was a second spot. I always tried to hit the back of the Tank.

Anyway we had a poll where the split was 60/40 in favour of the Nekomata.
        That would indicate to me that it is reasonably balanced, even though most prefer the Nekomata.

Titan lag and spammers can ruin the combat inside the Titan, but when you have neither you can have some really intense combat.
        And the great thing about the Titan maps is the way flags are often just a podjump/Transport flight away.
        I really hate spawning in the middle of nowhere without a vehicle.

Comment

vreki is right, the only thing missing is variety in bf2142, otherwise it is clearly a superior game, and all the differences you draw attention to were to improve and remedy things that the fanbase had bitched about.

i'm keen to see what has happened in 1.4...

Comment

Yeh highway tampa is going to be awesome for 2142

Comment

Originally posted by DutchDude View Post
              ... However, I think that when DICE would give BF2 some love BF2 could become much better then BF2142. BF2142 just needs too much fixing I think, and BF2142 is WAY too noob friendly! What do you guys think? should DICE embrace BF2 again or should DICE focus 100% on 2142?
              If they just 'import' all the BF2 maps into a super BF2142 booster pack I'd be willing to fork out some more dough for the booster:yay:

I went back to BF2 recently and had a blast. It took a little time to re-learn the control layout and the different capabilities of the classes but all-in-all it was good old fun again.

Since they're not making any more money off of the existing BF2 players I'm not sure how much 'focus' they're going to put into it. As for BF2142 I don't think it has been as much a success as EA had expected since the number of active players are relatively low compared to BF2. Additionally, from what I've seen of Northern Strike, that booster pack may have been an economic disaster so releasing a new booster once a year is not going to cut it when it comes to the bottom line. The BF franchise itself may only have another 1 or 2 years left before they have to replace it with something that can generate more revenue.

Personally, seeing how other companies are making money, I think the BF series will eventually end up as a subscription-based game like WoW; with a steady stream of income they'd have a better guage to use to allocate development budget. If they have any business sense at all they'd be burning the midnight oil to try to figure out how they can convert the existing BF players (on PC) into monthly subscribers. I can't figure out exactly what gameplay mode or content they can come out with that would convince me to pay a monthly subscription to play BF... and apparently... neither have they.

Comment

If they turned battlefield into a monthly subscription i would never touch battlefield again.

Comment

god just imagine...

Comment

BF2 has cooler tanks. BF2142 tanks are dull and the tank shell flies in a ridiculous arc. I expected a shell that would fly straight through the air, but no...
                    In reality tank shells never fly straight through the air, besides the arc is indicated in the viewfinder. IMO realism is cooler. As said many times, adapt to the battlefield*.

Admitted, I never played BF2, but from what I've seen on youtube etc, 2142 is a much more realistic game.

*yesterday I was playing a Suez map filled with RDX bunny hoppers, after 5 subsequent deaths I changed my play and started Bauring them from a distance because they were always taking the same route, that helped a lot

Comment

Originally posted by TINSTAAFL
                      In reality tank shells never fly straight through the air, besides the arc is indicated in the viewfinder. IMO realism is cooler. As said many times, adapt to the battlefield.

Admitted, I never played BF2, but from what I've seen on youtube etc, 2142 is a much more realistic game.
                      Try armed assault then, it's pretty realistic, well enough for me anyway.

Comment

i played bf2 again last week and was like whoa im a noob again till i picked a sniper rifle up and i was home again =) (when i played bf2 imo i pooned with the american rifle (always forget the name tho =/) anyway it took 5 or so mins to adjust to bf2 and when u hear phoarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr run like a B$%^H theres a j10 near buy.

imo the stock guns are better than most and i used to use them when i got nearly all the unlocks when i played bf2 all the time

i prefer in bf2 the iron sites its more realistic for me rather than every gun having the 2142 site (apart from special forces rifle)

the maps inmo are better they feel more real and most bf2142 maps are way to open for conquest

the apache kicks ***

there is still some teamwork in bf2 apart from the nade spammers :'(

i prefer both but i think il always just be playing bf2 just for a kick about and playing bf2142 more and more (hoping new urban maps get brought out)

i always like special forces maps although the maps i liked werent played much =(

also when i played there was like NO RECOIL i felt i cud basically jump and hold fire and kill i nvr had to compensate near enough for every dude i killed it was quite crap i prefer 2142 and a more realistic recoil instead of vossing in bf2

Comment

i played bf2 a month or so back after letting my bro reinstall it on my pc when he came back from uni

It was enjoyable for a while, using the l96 i was god, just employed my CS training and used it like an awp it was easy and i forgot how annoyingly gay karkand is

i noticed the unbalances so quickly and just got fed up...kind of sad how much i loved that game yet it kind of faded for me

and i prefer the tanks in 2142 because in bf2 it was basically fire in a straight line, no real skill required in aiming unless you had no fog (CHEETZ) and were firing across the entire map, in 2142 you have to compensate for the shell arc like in 1942 making it more skillful

Comment

I have 1942 & BF2 and still play but only MODs no vanilla.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathEngineer
                              Personally, seeing how other companies are making money, I think the BF series will eventually end up as a subscription-based game like WoW; with a steady stream of income they'd have a better guage to use to allocate development budget. If they have any business sense at all they'd be burning the midnight oil to try to figure out how they can convert the existing BF players (on PC) into monthly subscribers. I can't figure out exactly what gameplay mode or content they can come out with that would convince me to pay a monthly subscription to play BF... and apparently... neither have they.
                              Originally posted by james_1991-fight View Post
                              If they turned battlefield into a monthly subscription i would never touch battlefield again.
                              Ditto here. The reason I have YET to even TRY any MMORPG (despite several friends telling me I GOTTA play this or that) is because I don't want to have the pressure of HAVING to play X hours/month to feel like I'm getting my money's worth from the monthly subscription cost. That's also why I haven't been convinced to try GameTap Gold (even if it WOULD allow me to finally play Planescape: Torment without spending $50 on a used copy). I just took almost a month off of 2142 to play Half-Life 2 (yeah, I know, I'm behind), and came back to 2142 about a week ago and I'm having a blast again. That month's subscription would have been wasted. No thanks. IMO there'll be too much "free" competition out there in the tactical MP shooter market to allow any one company to be the the "first mover" into pay-for-play. I could be proven wrong in the future, but that's my feeling ATM.

Comment

Working...
                              X