Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the alpha leaks help you decide on BF3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Did the alpha leaks help you decide on BF3?

So no one decided to cancel their pre-order or to not get BF3?

Crunch
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

But thats not really the point. Atleast the point i am trying to make, i love the tap q to spot, i just want an ability to be able to thank someone smart enough to know that he has to throw a med pack at me because i was just snipered and i am in a near-death moment. Or to thank someone that know's im one of the few anti tanks in the team and i'm running out of rockets to take down the enemy tank/apc that's incoming. Or to say "i need a pickup" without beeing forced to look at a vehice, because that makes no sence, if the vehicle is there why would i say " i need a pickup" , i would just go and enter. Even if he was leaving, most of the people who leave and use vehicles as their personal taxis are not going to come back just because of that. But why not combining the best of both?!?! why not Tap to send attack order and tap to "ask for medic/backup/repair etc.." and at the same time, when noone's nearby why not give the ability to call someone to repair you from across the map, so your teammates know that there is a tank protecting a flag and he needs repairs so that when they die they know how and where they are going to spawn to help the team and gain some points.

I also want the ability to be able to add some atmosphere to the game by saying "GO GO GOO" when my squad just did a great job by capturing a flag, or when a helicopter just passed by and the squad was all proning and hidden in the grass/bushes trying not to be seen and we succeeded and that's the perfect moment to move up. The affirmative/negative are not such a big part but still, i dont see a reason for not to be implemented.

I'm not talking about the commo rose anymore, any way of being able to communicate would be great. Although lots of people see it as just a spammy thing that takes out from the game, the spam could be very well controlled, for example keeping the menu options only heard-able for your squad and the point and tap ones for the whole team. I can't see any drawback of the commorose system, i might be blind or i just can't accept it

Comment

Saying thanks is all fine and good, but you also thanked them by giving them points as well as them doing what they should have done to begin with.

With the commo rose, when I said I needed a pickup, I would either have no one come by or have everyone. With the Q spotting, you are telling a specific person that you need a pickup. Now if you just want to pull all the vehicles back so you can get a ride, thats cool, I guess.

Running around shouting you need a medic/ammo happened in BF2 and BC2 regardless of the Q or commo rose. I still layed their dead and with no ammo.

I dont think you can accept it and not just you. Ive pointed out problem after problem with it and many go "That wasnt a real issue." Well, it was because it happened to me. It was a real issue for me and I KNOW it was for others. But, none of that matters because people want the commo rose regardless.

In the end, I want the system that works physically 100% of the time. If that cant be the Q, then the commo rose.

Crunch

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy1
          Once you learn where all the options are, it takes less than a second to bring up the commo rose and select it. I still can do the mouse directions for all the statements in BF2. It becomes habitual.
          Yes. And no one is denying when the comm rose came out, it took time to get used to it but the principle behind it was to streamline the old way of doing communications in tactical games.

I remember it being called "dumb" and "simple for simple minded guys who can't remember their Fkeys".

Q is the new commrose. I posted a way that streamlines it even more. I am not a game designer so I don't usually think abot this stuff after the fact.

Q was a necessity of streamlining the commrose for consoles. I could see from the moment it was implemented how it limited SOME aspects of the game, but quick spotting, be it 3D 2D or 4D or whatever D you want it to be; is a clever new way of doing things.

Here is what I don't like of Q:

-Won't let you issue an order to a non specific and defined target, IE: you can't point it at the ground and get an order out of it. (I define order as both commander, SL, SM, petition or social interaction)
          -Forces you to interact by pointing at an interactive objective. Thus limiting your options to your visual range.

What I would like to see, per my previous post:

-The comm rose to come back.
          -The comm rose modified to keep the instant interactive quick spotting; but expand the interactivity to all targeteable objects.
          -The comm rose to retain social aspects of the game for quick communication.

BF2142 was a step forward for the rose, not because it added a SL rose; but because said SL rose let you interact with non targets. You could point it at the ground and request an artillery strike at any point in the ground; yet it allowed you to point it at flags and get an instant, interactive, context sensitive order out of that.

Now, imagine this comm rose:

-Point it at AT mine, quick press. It spots the mine for your armor guys.
          -Point it at AT mine, hold, issue context sensitive order. SL issues order "Disable this!".

-Point at flag, quick press. Instant context sensitive order issued: "attack this position".
          -Point at ground near flag, hold, issue context sensitive order: "defend this position".

Holding the rose button brings up the social aspect. Now both consoles and PC have ways to communicate without a headset.

You are a squad member; your options are more limited. But you can now spot mines, C4, Claymores. You can then hold key over the spotted icons and request orders for them.

Let's retain the Q social: point at squad mate, quick Q, relevant action requested. while under fire, hold Q, request relevant information using the menu.

Now all communication is bound to a single key, no dumbing down required.

Comment

It sounds like you are arguing for a quick Q and a hold down Q, where the quick Q maintains the same functions it does at the moment and holding down Q has more functions like squad commands. I completely agree with that. The commo rose that I posted from the ea.co.uk forums had that idea, but the author only mentioned quick Q for spotting. That is unimportant as I'm sure if it was implemented, the quick Q would work for calling a medic and ammo and whatever as well. I was more interested in the added squad commands that his suggestion had by holding down Q.
            Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Just dont let EA see this poll or it will go to their heads and they will figure they could sell something even more crap in the future.

People have only seen IO and are sold which shocks me and worries me that they want cod style gaming.

Comment

I think their sales figures gave them a big enough head (of money in their pockets) to know that BF3 is going to do well.

Crunch

Comment

Are developers evil, do they have no taste, or do they have to make games the way they have been lately even if they don't want to?

"I made it auto AND burst cause it's an entry level weapon, didn't want people to be restricted."

Seriously? What kind of people work at DICE?!

Comment

People with awesome jobs.

Crunch

Comment

Mostly ex modders and a lot of really crazy Swedish.

I don't know, DICE is one of the very few companies that have kept true to themselves, and I admire their sticking to their guns even in th eface of overwhelming whining.

You have to remember they started out as a very small company, and their very first big game was a resounding success.

They are not infuritingly secretive like Nintendo, they are don't have iDs levels of arrogance or the cockyness of most US developers.

You look back on their track record and th eonly "flop" was 2142; and that's one game that has gotten better appreciated in retrospective; and that not two games from them have been exactly the same.

Even the "consolized" BC series made some jumps between part one and two; we lost Gold Rush mode for the PC; maps are bigger in the original console version and oddly enough, graphics are grittier in the original; but I digress again.

The thing is, they know their game, both literally and figuratively.

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                        People with awesome jobs.

Crunch
                        Hahahaha... yeah... man. I think they among the best paid in the industry, they get to do what they like, what they want, how they want and when they like.

Comment

I dont know about that, Im sure they have to work some crazy hours and deadlines. I hate programming, but if I had one wish to change jobs with the knowledge needed to be successful in it, I think it would be game development.

Crunch

Comment

Well they claimed the team size for BF3 was what, like 5 times the size of the BF2 team.

And that's why I said crazy Swedish; they came out from 2142; started developing frostbite, decided they couldn't risk the "true" BF name and came up with Bad Company for consoles to cut their teeth; then when you think about it, they were simultaneously developing BC2 and BF3 and honest to god; BC2 as a throwaway title is ten times the quality of top of the line shovelware and 1 billion times better than most half assed attempts.

I was kinda shocked they admitted to it implicitly. BF3 will be the fourth story driven game for DICEm nd so far it looks amazing and somber; very serious stuff.

I'd still like BC3 to come out and go back to the outright sillyness.

Comment

I'm sorry my previous post made no sense to what Crunch said; i meant the DICE guys have been working overtime for what now; 5 years and no sign of stopping.

Comment

Yeah, thats true. Theyve been very successful and they did say they didnt except BC2 to be a hit.

Crunch

Comment

Working...
                                X