Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the alpha leaks help you decide on BF3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Did the alpha leaks help you decide on BF3?

Whats bothering me though is the lack of having options. What I mean is, why cant we have both 3-D spotting and CR? Why limit the players? I wont argue for or against 3D spotting as DICE seems pretty adamant on its inclusion....which is fine, but why cant players have the "option" to use the Commo-Rose instead? I for one don't want to chase down a support or medic(who are usually off in there own world) and stand there pointing at them(not the enemy) and spam Q....instead I can just have a general "need ammo" pop up on screen and hopefully the nearest support will notice it. Why cant I do that? Quick tap for 3D and hold down for commo rose...I really don't see ANY flaws to this method. Everyone gets what they want.

Same with 6 man squads and(something that's been bothering me since it was announced) the player counts. First, what was the reason for lowering the squads? If I wanted a small unit of 3-4 people we would all join the squad and be good...we could even lock it if we wanted no one else to join, if we wanted a 6 man squad we had the option to go that route. Now we dont even have the option, why not? Same with game player count, now I may be in a minority here, but I like games with really high player counts. (on that same token, I also enjoy games with lower counts as well, diversity is key). DICE even mentioned the game engine could handle up to 256 players, but the reason they didn't include it was because they didn't feel the gameplay was right...now 256 is alot of players, and with such a beefy engine I doubt any modern computer could handle it.....but what about maybe 70(35-35) or even 80(40-40) not planetside massive but still an improvement over BF2. Again players have the OPTION to choose what servers they wanted to play on, and given the popularity this game has seen I can guarantee there would be PLENTY of different servers to choose from. Why not give us that option? Why make a blanket statement before the game is even released and assume we would prefer smaller games. Maps seem pretty big, I doubt much changes would be needed for a SMALL increase in player count. We've had 64 players since 2002...its time to move on!

Anyway, kinda went into a rant but my point still stands. Give the PLAYERS the option on how they want to play the game!

Comment

I pre-ordered before I'd ever even heard about the Alpha.

After seeing the Alpha - I hope I get a shot at the Beta just to get the chance to play it...some more, before release!

Comment

From what I understood from using battlelog; voice chat is independent from the actual squad, so you can make a vchat with friends nad make two squads and join a server through the quick battle or using the browser so you can all go in on the same side.

Adding friends is easy (but not really feasibly in beta because of performance) you can see WHO is inside the server, and directly add them to your friendlist; it's faster than the old way.

But this was also battlelog beta; the voice thing never worked for me and I was never at the same time other MYIS membes were outside of a game. We'll have to see in the beta.

Comment

For the Health Regeneration on Vehicles, I can pretty much say it really was a necessary bone to throw vehicles once you've experienced Being disabled. Yeah sometimes you can take 3-4 rockets before being seriously hurt, however I did have a few times when a couple rockets in the wheels would reduce me to a tortoise crawl. Sometimes I would get finished off right away, other times I kept fighting with the main gun and with the help of team mates would clear the area, and then repair to get the vehicles re-enabled. Regaining a bit of health is almost meaningless when you'r incredible speed in the APC can be taken away, and your just a massive target.

I'm not even sure if it ever activated on the APC for me, I heard even health for infantry only kicked in when they weren't being shot at, but that I couldn't really be sure of how the infantry health regeneration was affected by suppression, too busy trying not to die.

Comment

In Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142, as a squad leader, you could speak to both your squad and the commander. Simply replace the channel to the commander with a link to the other squad leaders. Bingo! Squad leaders can talk between themselves and talk to their squad.

The "Medic" and "I need ammo" shouts were too quite in Bad Company 2. Even if you were standing right next to a player and spamming the request key, he wouldn't necessarily hear you. They really need to replace the shouting with radio communication like in BF2 and BF2142. It was clear and could be heard over the shooting,

In Joint Operation Typhoon Rising, when you requested a lift, a little yellow arrow appeared next to your name tag so a player could easily find the person in need of transportation. I suggest a similar system in BF3. If they're going to keep the aim-and-hit-Q request system, at least have an arrow at the edge of your screen with a little ammo or med symbol point toward a player, and when you look at them they have a distinct sign next to their head for 5 to 7 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by sithdemon
              For the Health Regeneration on Vehicles, I can pretty much say it really was a necessary bone to throw vehicles once you've experienced Being disabled. Yeah sometimes you can take 3-4 rockets before being seriously hurt, however I did have a few times when a couple rockets in the wheels would reduce me to a tortoise crawl. Sometimes I would get finished off right away, other times I kept fighting with the main gun and with the help of team mates would clear the area, and then repair to get the vehicles re-enabled. Regaining a bit of health is almost meaningless when you'r incredible speed in the APC can be taken away, and your just a massive target.

I'm not even sure if it ever activated on the APC for me, I heard even health for infantry only kicked in when they weren't being shot at, but that I couldn't really be sure of how the infantry health regeneration was affected by suppression, too busy trying not to die.
              I can confirm that health regeneration only kicks in some 20 or so seconds after being completely unengaged with enemy forces, any and all activity near you even from your squad or teammates stops it and it takes around 5 seconds to fully regenerate.

You can be killed in one, being at less than 50% health means a stray bullet can down you.

Vehicle regen is hardly the noobification BF "veterans" think it is. Once you are down and stopped the turret takes foerever to turn, reloading is more difficult and you are effectively dead meat if no one bothers to try to repair you.

There is hardly anything more epic than going down in flames covering your team from a stopped APC with rocket locks indicators all around you.

Comment

Id rather they keep the hole thing simple and concentrate on making it big and epic gameplay.

kiss Dice!..for those who knows what that means but we clearly need a commo rose and they need to look back to their roots.aka 1942

I challenge Dice to make a map with driveable ships(not rubber dingies) ,jets,armour and infantry all on one map like they did ten years ago!show me sum balls dice .<<this is what really made BF famous.

Comment

The APC doesn't really have time to regenerate in this map, it's too close to the battle (I did regenerate once though, and I was firing and killing players from afar). On a big conquest map it can be very different, especially with a jet bombing you far from the frontlines, you could have the time to regenerate during the time you move to the frontline. But both infantry and vehicle regeneration are minor points of gameplay anyway, it doesn't have any real impact on the battle.

Rambo you can dream about the return of driveable battleships, it begins and ended with BF1942.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo
                    Id rather they keep the hole thing simple and concentrate on making it big and epic gameplay.

kiss Dice!..for those who knows what that means but we clearly need a commo rose and they need to look back to their roots.aka 1942

I challenge Dice to make a map with driveable ships(not rubber dingies) ,jets,armour and infantry all on one map like they did ten years ago!show me sum balls dice .<<this is what really made BF famous.
                    What Sethanon is saying is this game is big and epic without a commo rose, an outdated item of the era.

They do need a ship map

Crunch
                    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Lol, not beeing able to say "thanks" or "follow me" is the future? atleast i hope they map some sort of quick command to the F' keys like : F1:Thanks F2: Follow me F3: GO GO GO

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                        What Sethanon is saying is this game is big and epic without a commo rose, an outdated item of the era.

They do need a ship map

Crunch
                        How is it outdated? I'm all for change and understand games need to progress. But the catch all Q approach doesn't work...it didn't work in BFBC and from what I saw in the alpha it didn't work again. Not everyone has mics, or wants to talk to or hear other players(especially whiner 12 year olds with high pitched voices) and with the fast pace we've seen following someone around trying to get there attention with Q or stopping and typing will get you killed. In Bf2 the request was not only audio but it also showed up on screen....plenty of times Id be off in my own world focusing on something g else when I see a need ammo popup on screen and realize someone needs ammo. I see no reason to not include such features...there is no down side.

Originally posted by jimykx
                        Lol, not beeing able to say "thanks" or "follow me" is the future? atleast i hope they map some sort of quick command to the F' keys like : F1:Thanks F2: Follow me F3: GO GO GO
                        They had F-keys in BF42 they took them out because they said it was to complicated....they took out commorose because they said it was to complicated....the future it seems is to limit the game. Up until BFBC2 the standard was to put less content in each succussive installment...we will see if BF3 continues this tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by zuiquan1
                          How is it outdated? I'm all for change and understand games need to progress. But the catch all Q approach doesn't work...it didn't work in BFBC and from what I saw in the alpha it didn't work again. Not everyone has mics, or wants to talk to or hear other players(especially whiner 12 year olds with high pitched voices) and with the fast pace we've seen following someone around trying to get there attention with Q or stopping and typing will get you killed. In Bf2 the request was not only audio but it also showed up on screen....plenty of times Id be off in my own world focusing on something g else when I see a need ammo popup on screen and realize someone needs ammo. I see no reason to not include such features...there is no down side.
                          OK, first of all, Sethanon typed up quite a bit about why its outdaed.

Second of all, you typed up why its outdated.

Yeah, at this time the Q system doesnt work in an in-game standpoint because of its bugginess. It does work overall and in concept though as I use it and get what I need when a stupid player is paying attention instead of running into his death. I commo rosed the crap out of BF2/2142 and you know what it would get me? THE SAME THING AS IN BC2.

You said it yourself, the game is fast pased and hesitating to say something is going to get you killed, yet somehow we have time to open up a commo rose, that will cover the screen I might add, and select the correct response in the correct direction and not only live, but get the results we were wanting. I can see why everyone wants the commo rose as it appears to have some type of magic in it.

Until I joined a clan, BF2 sucked as far as playing with others went. People are too worried about their stats and too stupid to properly use kits so teamwork breaks down with both the commo rose and the Q system. DICE has said they are working on making the Q system much better and thats all we have. Everyone liked the commo rose because it "worked". Maybe DICE will get the Q system to work as well.

Crunch

Comment

Maybe, in the end we really have no idea of how DICE will improve upon the system.

Honestly I don't recall ever being killed in BF2 from having the C/R up....it doesn't take all that long(to me) so I don't see the time it takes as an issue.

For the majority of my BF2 time I played on unranked servers so that could have something to do with my relative success with it.

If they improve upon the Q and fix its bugs and add some thing like page up/down for yes/no than Id probably be happy.

Comment

I didnt have that much issue with it either. I mean,, you are correct, BF3 is faster paced and deadly (as in deadly awesome I might add) and hitting Q is way faster than the commo rose. The problem is the commo rose works.

Crunch

Comment

Once you learn where all the options are, it takes less than a second to bring up the commo rose and select it. I still can do the mouse directions for all the statements in BF2. It becomes habitual.
                                Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Working...
                                X